beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

on 2/7/2018 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have used the Beautyblender for a couple of years now. Not long after I purchased it, the tip came off and then since then a few more parts have broken away. I am very careful with things and I am not heavy-handed, so I was quite surprised this happened. I have still been using it as I honestly don't really think it's good enough to warrant re-purchasing a new one. I will happily repurchase expensive items if I think the price is justified and the product makes a difference however I don't really find that the Beautyblender makes much of a difference to how my makeup looks/applies.
I purchased the original pink version and I mainly use it for concealer application. I use it damp (as I'm sure the majority of people do) however, I find that if it is too damp, it makes concealer look very patchy and uneven.
I do wish that I liked this product more and that it made more of a difference to how my makeup looks. It's not a bad item, it's just quite over-hyped in my opinion.

on 7/11/2017 3:38:00 PM

Flat sponges are better and cheaper. The beauty blender absorbs too much product and the results are not worthy of the praise I've been hearing about. You are better off using a flat sponge, shiseido foundation brush or your fingers. This silly cheapo sponge is ridiculous. It is worth $2 at most. It's funny how all the people who gave BB 5 lippies describe their method of application in such a way that it sounds exhausting as well as inconvenient. C'mon. People are trying too hard to make this silly thing work. The company is really having a good laugh.

on 2/24/2017 3:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had used the cheaper sponge before this, thinking all sponges do the same job. But I was wrong, I brought the original to give it a go and I never had a sponge that do a great job. I always wash my sponge after I used. well at least alternately. As I washed, the sponge looks like new. No product lingering unlike the cheap dupes. I was really amazed. I would buy again, but I don't think we need to giving the excellent job in cleaning. when cleaning it, the dye bleeds out, I'm quite worry if in a long run, the color changes. so far I've got this for 3-4mths. Seems good.

I was avoiding purchasing this for about a year and a half because of its price. And I've been trying dupes in the meanwhile. However, I just couldn't resist the urge anymore.
The hype is real, as no other sponge I've tried compares to this. I used to think all sponges were the same, because it's only a sponge after all. But I studied the topic and realized that this sponge has an "open cell structure" technology that the brand claims is unique and that I assume is copyrighted, so the other dupes can't come close to it. And from experience I can say it's true, from observing the following:
- It's so much softer than other dupes
- Very easy to clean compared to dupes
- Doesn't absorb much product as other dupes
I use the BB mainly for applying CONCEALERS and high coverage foundations which normally look cakey if applied with a brush. The BB reduces the texture left by high coverage foundations (in my case, my HG high coverage is Inglot HD foundation) and improves their appearance on the skin. As for light to medium coverage foundations (in my case my HG light coverage foundation is the Bourjois Healthy mix/radiance reveal foundation) I still prefer applying them with a brush because, even the one and only BB will absorb most of it. But I really adore the BB for concealer application. I wash it with dish washer and olive oil after every application and it's still not stained!
I give it 4 lippies because of its high price, but i understand why it's pricey. Being a copyright product with that "unique" technology. But if you ask me if it really makes a difference being the original BB, my answer is yes.

Yes it is a convenient tool to have but I probably wouldn't repurchase again, because I have done a comparisons between this and just using clean fingers the results are the same if not better. With fingers you can even get more control and less products to apply foundation or other cream products. So I wouldn't say it's a essential product especially for the price tag.

on 3/18/2016 5:25:00 AM

easy to use - gives a nice, natural finish, - it's just plain fun! What I dislike. - very expensive - annoying to clean every time used - absorbing a lot of my foundation..

on 12/10/2015 9:59:00 AM

I bought the beauty blender because of all the fuss and reviews that it is amazing and irreplaceable. It is amazing, but NOT irreplaceable! I first purchased the Miracle sponge by real techniques (about a month and a half ago) and i was my first interraction with makeup sponges. I was amazed from the 1st application, i will never ever use my fingers again!

While searching for youtube videos about how to make the best of this sponge, i got to realize that the beautyblender was so much more expesive! i had no idea and i bought the micracle sponge because that was the most reasonable looking sponge in Boots (they didn't have beautybelnder at all anyway). So now i bought the beautyblender out of curiosity and to understand why most people say that miracle sponge is good, but not as good as the beautyblender.

Not that i have tested both, i can't possible understand why people would pay 3 times more for the beautyblender. Unless you have supervision, there is no difference in the finish between the 2 sponges! They maybe have different composition, but the result is the same!!!! So, the reason i am giving this a 3 is because the price doesn't justify the results when there is a competitor product doing the same, 3 times cheaper.

- there is no difference in "bounceability" between the 2! And if there is, i don't see a difference in the end result!
- BB is NOT softer than the miracle sponge. This was a shock as eveybody says that BB is softer. It's not, on the contrary, once wet, the micracle sponge is slightly softer and less dense than the BB which i like more
- miracle sponge washes better, it's easier to get the foundation off. I washed my BB this morning and it is still stained, probably the composition of the sponge retains product, which i don't like. i feel it's dirty even though i washed it. Also, and this was a big dissapointment, once i washed the BB, when i squeezed it, the water was PINK because of the colorant used. I hope the colorant is natural (is it?), but that was so disappointing!

All in all, BB is a great product, foundation will not look the same with any other product, EXCEPT the miracle sponge which gives the exact same finish.

And, if you're thinking it, i don't mind the £12 i spent on BB, i don't find it that expensive, but if i can get the same result with less money, why not? i am not trying to "shame" BB, but seriously, if you are thinking about buying one buy a miracle sponge first and if you are not happy with it, then buy a BB - but i guarantee you won't see a difference :)

on 11/14/2015 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

When I first heard about this I thought people had to be mad to pay so much for a sponge but then I got curious (like so many others) and bought it at a Sephora 20% sale. Mine is the red carpet version which doesn't come with a cleaner. Prior to using I made sure to watch some YouTube videos for tutorials and the beauty bloggers all seemed to love it. Having tried it today I must say IT IS WORTH IT. I bought two more today to stock up. My boyfriend (who seldom notices my makeup whatsoever) commented that my skin looked nice today so it is something. :) one thing that I didn't like so much was that the dye came off with washing with soap. It was regular hand soap. Doesn't bother me that much though might be that the hand soap is too harsh. My two pack today (bought from BHG) came with a bottle of blender cleaner. Excited to continue using this baby!!!:)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was initially intrigued by the great reviews on this product and I'll admit, it worked great the first couple of times I used it. The major problem I have with this product is that after a couple of washes, black dots started to appear on the sponge and those spots, according to google, are MOLD. Yes, that's right. MOLD. I couldn't believe it when I read about it and now I'm upset that I have to throw this sponge away, after only using it a couple of times. I most likely won't purchase another beauty blender in the future and I'll probably invest in a good foundation brush, as those last longer and are easier to clean and dry.

All in all, I would not recommend this product, since you don't really get your money's worth. It's just like any other sponge, in that it accumulates mold after a period of time, which is not good for your health....

Love this! I add just a little water, squeeze excess out. I apply my foundation and concealer with a brush and then blend with the beauty blender. Works amazing! I have tried using for putting on my foundation but I feel like it sucks up a lot of it. Otherwise I really like this and will continue to use it

Popular Misc Beauty Tools