beautyblender the sponge

4.1

on 6/12/2017 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I refused to try the Beautyblender for a really long tine since I have already spent a small fortune on a variety of foundation brushes and if a small spongy blob would end up performing better that would end up with serious buyer's remorse :D

The nude pink one they released finally got the best of my willpower and I'm kind of sad to admit but it's a handy tool.

First of all, the thing that irks me most about the Beautyblender - apart grom a price! - is that I really don't feel comfortable imagining the possible bacteria breeding since I'm accustomed to applying foundation with perfectly clean brushes daily. Nope, can't bring myself to do it. Then what I use the sponge for? It's simple. After applying the foundation/concealer/blush during the days my skin doesn't seem to behave I wet/squeeze it, dab gently to meld all the aforementioned layers together and this step makes my makeup look much more natural. No excuse for cackey base anymore! It does sheer the makeup out a bit and sometimes I have some more spot concealing to do but this removal results to the natural look.

A keeper, sigh!

on 11/30/2016 7:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Let me say that this is a really great makeup sponge. It applies my liquid foundations evenly and flawlessly such that my pores don't look as big as usual.

All girls with big pores need a sponge like this. I say a sponge like this, and not this sponge, because the Real Techniques sponge can do a very similar job for a fraction of the price.

How does this sponge compare to the RT? I think the BB gives a very marginally better finish with the super slippy liquid foundations like water based ones (My reference is Kanebo Lunasol Modeling Liquid Foundation, still my HG after 9 years). The BB also eats slightly less product. However, the RT sponge trumps the BB in terms of shape and price. The BB is $30 where I'm from, and the RT is only $8! Also, I much prefer the shape of this sponge as it enables me to get into all the little nooks of my face and under the eyes. For the BB, you need the micro minis to do that properly. Also, RT performs better with foundations that are creamier in texture. I get a better effect with the RT sponge when I use the Kate Mineral Mask BB cream (which is my other HG product!) than with the BB. On balance, I much prefer the RT and would repurchase this over the BB.

Don't get me wrong. The BB is a FABULOUS sponge. If you can shell out $30 every 2-3 months, then by all means, do, you won't regret getting this. Get the micro mini BBs at the same time too, because under eye and nose cleavage application with this is really trying. But if you want a cost effective option that does 95% the same thing in one product, RT is the sponge for you.

Would I repurchase? This is hard. I would, probably, when it's on sale, but I doubt I would pay full price for this again.

on 11/14/2015 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

When I first heard about this I thought people had to be mad to pay so much for a sponge but then I got curious (like so many others) and bought it at a Sephora 20% sale. Mine is the red carpet version which doesn't come with a cleaner. Prior to using I made sure to watch some YouTube videos for tutorials and the beauty bloggers all seemed to love it. Having tried it today I must say IT IS WORTH IT. I bought two more today to stock up. My boyfriend (who seldom notices my makeup whatsoever) commented that my skin looked nice today so it is something. :) one thing that I didn't like so much was that the dye came off with washing with soap. It was regular hand soap. Doesn't bother me that much though might be that the hand soap is too harsh. My two pack today (bought from BHG) came with a bottle of blender cleaner. Excited to continue using this baby!!!:)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was initially intrigued by the great reviews on this product and I'll admit, it worked great the first couple of times I used it. The major problem I have with this product is that after a couple of washes, black dots started to appear on the sponge and those spots, according to google, are MOLD. Yes, that's right. MOLD. I couldn't believe it when I read about it and now I'm upset that I have to throw this sponge away, after only using it a couple of times. I most likely won't purchase another beauty blender in the future and I'll probably invest in a good foundation brush, as those last longer and are easier to clean and dry.

All in all, I would not recommend this product, since you don't really get your money's worth. It's just like any other sponge, in that it accumulates mold after a period of time, which is not good for your health....

This is such a miracle product! It took me a long time to finally purchase one because who in their right mind would spend this much on a sponge. But my curiosity got the better of me because I would always see makeup artists and celebrities recommending this tool for applying makeup.
The first time I used it I immediately fell in love. It helps my undereye concealer not to become cakey. It also gives my base makeup a natural finish. I really love the fact that it gives a sheer and natural finish to my makeup. It's so convenient to use when placing makeup in the grooves of my face (undereyes, nose edges and mouth corners). Another thing I love is that it's so much faster to apply makeup compared to makeup brushes.

on 5/6/2013 8:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Oh how I wanted to love this. But I'm sorry to say I can't stand this product. For me, it's awkward to work it, it absorbs a huge deal of makeup (even though I do use the sponge wet), and the worst part is that if you have any concealer on beforehand, this sponge will completely remove it with one pass. Seriously?!

on 5/20/2012 3:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Seriously, I have combination, flaky, sensitive, dry, patchy, oily T-zone, old-acne scarred skin. Lovely, no? It's a HG product for me. I use it apply my foundation (of course), blush, bronzer, concealer AND powder. Seamless. Great coverage.

Works great for liquid, cream, gel foundations. However, in order not to waste it, apply it directly on your face then bounce around the BB.
I clean mine by soaking it in Cetaphil for a few minutes or baby shampoo if it needs deeper cleansing.

The great thing with the BB is, after you're done with your face, remember to get your eyelids, ears and jawline and neck.

Secret: Use a damp (almost dry) BB to apply your MSF Natural. It sets your makeup for hours. I live in Singapore and I have sweaty face and an oily T-Zone and my make up still holds up after hours of dancing.

on 12/10/2010 6:58:00 PM

I love love LOVE the Beautyblender! I have many at home and I must say that this basically eliminated the use of my array of makeup brushes. This works great for any type of foundation as well as powder and cream blushes!
Just dampen the BB with a bit of water and blot out the excess, then stiple your foundation on! Leaves you looking so natural and fresh!
Clean up is a breeze as well! I bought the BlenderCleanser, however, I have found that antibacterial soap works just as great, if not better!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I love this sponge - it helps my liquid foundation blend seamslessly into my skin. (Skin background: I'm in my late 20's - no wrinkles yet. A few large pores, some dry patches.) I've tried lots of other sponges/brushes, and this is seriously the best tool for applying foundation if you love a natural look. I dampen the sponge a bit, and it works better for me that way. I had an SA tell me once that you should never dampen a sponge b/c it will dry the foundation out on your skin - but it seems to work really well for me!

I waited almost two years before buying this product. I'd heard all the raves here, but couldn't quite bring myself to spend $20 on a sponge. Well, I finally gave in about a month ago, and I wish I'd gotten it sooner! I use it with both tinted moisturizer and foundation, and it really does give a more flawless look than I'd achieved with drugstore sponges, the Laura Mercier sponges, or a foundation brush. I even use with cream blushes (just swirling the bottom of the sponge into the blush and then stippling on) and it's a beautiful effect. I haven't even reached for my cream blush brush since I got the beautyblender. I bought the $39.95 set of two sponges and a bottle of the cleanser. I don't know about the cleanser, but I'd definitely repurchase the sponges!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools