beautyblender the sponge

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have tried the beauty blender and other knockoffs, and I know some people love using these types of sponges when applying foundation, concealer, or even setting powder onto the face, because it provides a very seamless look when blending such out, however, it absorbs a lot of makeup into it, and even when you are washing these things everyday, they aren't getting 100% clean, even if you may think they are. That is because your mainly cleaning the outer surface of the sponge, while the makeup dirt and other stuff that has absorbed deep down into it is not being 100% removed with each washing at all. You can cut open a beauty blender and easily see all that deep down gook residing within it.

Also, because it eats up a lot of product, that's wasted product that you could have had to use, but now has been eaten by the beauty blender, which will make you have to replenish foundation, concealer, face setting powder, bronzer or whatever else you use the sponge for application with to definitely need to be re-plenished faster than if you had used a makeup brush or another makeup application tool, that doesn't suck up product into it.

Also, the Real Techniques knock off is basically doing the same thing is the best knockoff out there, so I would honestly recommend using that versus paying for this over expensive, overhyped makeup blending sponge.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use the pro (black) version of the beautyblender, and while I really like it I’m not using it often.
It blends a concealer like a dream by eating it up. So basically to make the end result looks like I like I must go heavy handed at the beginning and spend some quality time pressing and blending it to my skin if I use the normal amount of the product I will end up with a very sheer coverage. I don't have dark circles and I almost never use a concealer, like 10 times a year...
I don't like wearing liquid foundation, and it's definitely not the best tool to work with powders. It works quite well with cream products that need to look like a part of the skin, for example, color correctors, I prefer to use those to using concealers.
It also takes some time and significant efforts to wash it properly, and if you pick the white or cream sponge they will always stay stained. I just can't stand stained beauty tools, they throw me off. I love using white brushes and I have no problems cleaning those.

It is an awesome tool for anyone who loves liquid or cream foundations, wear concealer daily or loves spending time doing their makeup. I'm not one of those people. I prefer quick out of the door solutions and beauty tools that are fast to clean. Cream products do not sink deeply into the Beautyblender and are easy to wash off, so I use it solely with those.

on 7/4/2018 1:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Not impressed at all.

I've been using the drugstore dupes for this, but I finally decided to buy the real deal since I have large pores and a sponge is my go-to for application. Grabbed the Queen edition packaging - pink sponge -- and at the check out, I asked the gal if it was the regular sponge and she said yes, just had special packaging.

Well, got home and took the sponge out-- first thought was 'why is there chunks coming off the bottom of the sponge already?' The bottom had a bit of sponge hanging, so I tugged it off- leaving a little hole in the sponge. Kinda like a loose thread? WTF? Brand new and the sponge is fraying/fuzzy/pulling off?

I decided it wasnt a big deal, applied foundation -- which it applied nicely, but then 2 more things happened: sponge didnt swell up as big as I thought it would, maybe Im used to rt sponges, or maybe ppl's sponges look bigger in videos, but I felt it looked smaller than norm, and #2 (the biggest dealbreaker)--- it would NOT wash clean. No matter how much I used of my DIY sponge cleaner (which has worked on everything else) I could not get my foundation to completely wash out. And I used even oil, thinking it may have been my foundation not breaking down? Nope. After fussing with the sponge and thinking it was just stained, I bobbed the sponge on a towel and NOPE -- still makeup residue coming off the sponge.

So now it sits on my beauty table, used once, stained, still makeup residue (and I use not even full coverage foundation) and looks like I'd had it for 20 years. Waste of money, regret purchase, stick to the $5 RT sponges. So much better, available everywhere, clean so much better (especially if you have acne-prone, sensitive skin like me!) and better bang for your $$$. Unless the bb sponges in the limited edition Queen packaging are defective, this is a piece of crap! So disappointed. Ugh.

on 6/12/2017 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I refused to try the Beautyblender for a really long tine since I have already spent a small fortune on a variety of foundation brushes and if a small spongy blob would end up performing better that would end up with serious buyer's remorse :D

The nude pink one they released finally got the best of my willpower and I'm kind of sad to admit but it's a handy tool.

First of all, the thing that irks me most about the Beautyblender - apart grom a price! - is that I really don't feel comfortable imagining the possible bacteria breeding since I'm accustomed to applying foundation with perfectly clean brushes daily. Nope, can't bring myself to do it. Then what I use the sponge for? It's simple. After applying the foundation/concealer/blush during the days my skin doesn't seem to behave I wet/squeeze it, dab gently to meld all the aforementioned layers together and this step makes my makeup look much more natural. No excuse for cackey base anymore! It does sheer the makeup out a bit and sometimes I have some more spot concealing to do but this removal results to the natural look.

A keeper, sigh!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I wish this was a gimmick but it really does make my makeup look flawless. It's a little pricey but if you wash it and store it properly (in the small cup provided in the packaging) you can get a good 3-4 months out of it. Just make sure you dry it completely and leave it where air gets to it. You don't want a moldy sponge. It really makes a difference with my foundation. Even when I use a brush, I go over it with the Beauty Blender and it smoothes everything out. Love it. I find the original pink one best. I've tried the black and the pink is softer, less dense. It's easier to "bounce" the pink one on your face.

on 11/30/2016 7:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Let me say that this is a really great makeup sponge. It applies my liquid foundations evenly and flawlessly such that my pores don't look as big as usual.

All girls with big pores need a sponge like this. I say a sponge like this, and not this sponge, because the Real Techniques sponge can do a very similar job for a fraction of the price.

How does this sponge compare to the RT? I think the BB gives a very marginally better finish with the super slippy liquid foundations like water based ones (My reference is Kanebo Lunasol Modeling Liquid Foundation, still my HG after 9 years). The BB also eats slightly less product. However, the RT sponge trumps the BB in terms of shape and price. The BB is $30 where I'm from, and the RT is only $8! Also, I much prefer the shape of this sponge as it enables me to get into all the little nooks of my face and under the eyes. For the BB, you need the micro minis to do that properly. Also, RT performs better with foundations that are creamier in texture. I get a better effect with the RT sponge when I use the Kate Mineral Mask BB cream (which is my other HG product!) than with the BB. On balance, I much prefer the RT and would repurchase this over the BB.

Don't get me wrong. The BB is a FABULOUS sponge. If you can shell out $30 every 2-3 months, then by all means, do, you won't regret getting this. Get the micro mini BBs at the same time too, because under eye and nose cleavage application with this is really trying. But if you want a cost effective option that does 95% the same thing in one product, RT is the sponge for you.

Would I repurchase? This is hard. I would, probably, when it's on sale, but I doubt I would pay full price for this again.

on 11/27/2016 5:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This sponge is worth the hype. You can use it to apply pretty much anything: foundation, powders, cream bronzer/highlight, etc. This gives your foundation and powder such a natural glow. I have tried the Real Techniques sponge but it does not compare to what this sponge does. I would repurchase and recommend to a friend!

[Update 09-16-2017: I recently repurchased a Beauty Blender to replace my super old one; however, I paid 20 dollars only to receive a dud beauty blender (didn't get very damp, was very dense, ripped after one wash). Because of this I am updating my review to not recommend this product as the quality control is not there. For a sponge of this price, that should not happen. I would recommend the Ecotools Blending Sponge (only $5.99 for one) over this one as it gives the same finish and you're not out 20 bucks if it doesn't work out. I'm keeping the rating the same as when the BB does work, it's amazing. Just keep in mind that there are way cheaper alternatives that will still give you the same finish that it does for a fraction of the cost.]

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had the pink one which I loved and I washed it after every use and put it on the canister that it came in like they recommend on the little leaflet that comes with it, only to find that the round bottom part of the sponge became mouldy with little black dots - so not the best way to dry the sponge like they recommended! Instead, it's best to lay it sideways on the canister so that there is airflow throughout the whole sponge to prevent mould.

So I went and got myself a new one and saw that the nude one had come out so bought it to compare how it differs to the pink one. The nude one seems to be made of a different material, is SUPER soft and a dream to use! However, after 2 washes, it ripped!!! That is so disappointing considering the sponge costs AU$30!!!

I will purchase again, however I will stick to the pink sponge as it is more durable.

I don't think the sponge is worth the hefty price, but it does blend out foundation like a dream and becomes addictive to use. There's nothing like it.

Here's the thing, I had really high expectations for this makeup sponge and lo I was disappointed. First of all, I have a hard time paying $20 for a freakin' sponge to start. I figure for that price it better be amazing and last forever, yet you're supposed to replace it every few months? If it's that amazing, sure. The problem? It wasn't. As far as I could tell it was just a sponge. I felt like it ate my product and left me with a super sheer coverage no matter what I did. It looked dirty no matter how much I cleaned it, and it just wasn't good.
My advice? Invest in a good foundation brush. I think mine was $25 from urban decay and it'll last a heck of a lot longer, and it does what I need/want. Don't waste your money.

on 1/25/2016 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

What I love about the Beauty Blender. - easy to use - gives a nice, natural finish, - it's just plain fun! What I dislike. - very expensive - annoying to clean. The thing with BB's is that you can only clean a sponge so many times before it's just ick. I can get the same results with cheap triangle sponges and throw them away after a couple cleanings. Plus, if you really love BB's, they now have similar sponges for sale everywhere that are much less expensive. I wouldn't buy again.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools