beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.7

on 4/21/2016 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I've had this with the solid cleanser for quite long now. And honestly I never knew how I managed without the original one for so long. I used to buy their dupes, mainly because they didn't sell this in finland until some months ago. I came across the set for 16€ and thought instantly that it was such a good deal. I need to wash this rather regularly to keep it from getting stained. Maybe it does sheer out my foundation somewhat but it keeps it matte and stays longer and beautifully blended. Sometimes when I'm bored I switch to real techniques expert brush, but 99% of the time that I apply foundation I always use this. Super easy application. My 1yo toddler can only allow me to have a minute routine. Saves me some time before preparing his breakfast and outing.

on 8/8/2015 2:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This sponge is seriously the best thing ever invented!! I LOVE it and can't live without it!! It's better than any brush out there! There are many replicas but there's serious no dupe for it this is the real deal and well worth the $20!! It's very long lasting and it's just the best! It seriously blends out any product so easily and flawless! You can use it for foundation, concealer, to blend out cream contour. It's the best and I recommend this to everyone!! I will seriously trade it ANY foundation brush for this little sponge any day! I love it !

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love this thing!

Let me first say that I was a non-believer. I tried all the dupes...hated most...loved some (namely the Real Techniques Beauty Sponge...and I will always go back and forth between the two)...and the BB is the winner...

The only thing I can say about this in comparison to the others is that this is so much more effortless. The RT Sponge doesnt pick up a lot of product...this picks up less...the RT Sponge blends in liquid and cream foundations and concealers to a flawless finish...the BB is just even more flawless. I have literally done myself and clients half with the BB and half with the RT Sponge...and in my personal and professional opinion, the results are the EXACT SAME, the BB just takes less time.

Other than my Revlon Color Stay Whipped...I use sponges for all of my foundation/BB cream/CC cream/tinted moisturizer/ Concealer application...and I will probably never go back to a brush. This is an amazing and long lasting product. If you can purchase on Amazon it is also really cheap. I was able to purchase two of the black pro BBs for $23.50 with free shipping.

To clean I use either Tone Body Wash, Trader Joes body wash, or my Nubian Heritage black soap bar. All of these clean it very thoroughly. I then leave it to dry in its container lid.

Go get one ASAP!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I can't do my makeup without this little gem. I've tried applying liquid foundation with some of the top rated brushes on MUA (Real Techniques Face Brush and Sephora Pro Flawless Airbrush #56) but my foundation always looks cakey and streaky. Applying it with my fingers gives me the same result. Not so with the BeautyBlender. This sponge leaves my makeup looking natural, even and flawless. The coverage is quite sheer to start with but can be built up easily. The only little thing that bothers me about this sponge is how difficult it is to clean it, even with the special cleanser. But other than that it's an absolutely wonderful product I will never be without.

on 5/12/2014 5:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is going to be the new thing I can't live without. I was skeptical about it at first, as I'm sure most people reading this are, but man, it's brilliant. Before, I used to use my fingers to apply foundation as I hate the sheer coverage of brushes (I need lots of coverage), and the waste of sponge wedges. My husband bought me this for a gift, and I'm hooked. It spreads foundation on perfectly! I mean, what's the point of buying expensive foundation to apply it so it looks all streaky and non-natural? The BB makes it look like I'm wearing nothing, while giving me full coverage of all my nasty bits.

The only thing that sucks is the price, especially considering I've heard they wear out in as little as 3 months. And cleaning it is a drag too. I didn't buy the cleanser, as I thought my First Aid Beauty face cleanser (the white tube) would basically do the job. It does! And I think any gentle face soap would do as well (Cetaphil, Eucerin, etc.) I think it's definitely worth it, though, despite these drawbacks, although I will try to Real Techniques dupe when this one wears out to see if I can save some money.

EDIT: wanted to add something else I discovered. When you dispense your foundation (I do it on the back of my hand), don't pour very much, and when you dip the sponge in, use a tiny amount. You'd be surprised how little you need as the sponge does all the work and spreads it very well. The more you use, the more you'll end up wasting. And you can always add more as you go!

on 4/25/2014 1:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I would definitely recommend this for a natural look and for great coverage.

In my own experience, I've actually used less bb cream overall since the beautyblender enables a larger coverage area compared to a brush. With the brush I would feel that some areas didn't have enough coverage, and thus use more bb cream. But with the beautyblender, I feel that I can cover more areas of my face for less, possibly because it blends everything evenly and provides a very natural finish. However, overall I found that it did take a lot longer with the beautyblender than a brush, due to the size of the sponge, pouncing takes longer than swirling a brush on your face and it takes some maneuvering to pounce the product into hard to reach places..

On the other hand, I use more loose powder with the beauty blender as when i dab the beautyblender into the loose powder it would take a lot with it. With the brush, I could just tap the some powder back into the container, but with the beautyblender, I find it quite difficult to dislodge loose powder from the sponge.

But, I do very much like the natural coverage of the beautyblender that a brush just cannot achieve. With a brush I always find that I end up with not enough or too heavy a coverage, resulting in a caked on appearance. But the beautyblender provides a flawless natural coverage to the point where it looks like I don't have any make-up on at all!

on 4/1/2014 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've always used brushes (the ELF Flat Top) for my foundation, because they're sanitary and easy to use. However, upon hearing so many raves for the beauty blender, I decided to give it a go anyways, despite the potential sanitary issues that could arise. It was amazing. It was so quick and easy, and the finish for my Estee Lauder Double Wear was phenomenal... so much better than any brush could achieve.

[ PROS ]
- Very easy to use
- Provides an amazingly natural finish
- Can be used to sheer out a heavy foundation
- Can be used to build up a very sheer foundation
- Great for patting concealer onto the under-eye area

[ CONS ]
- Very pricey
- A pain to clean (it must be cleaned very thoroughly or mold could appear!)
- Takes at least a day to fully dry (I have two that I use in rotation)

I usually use Dr. Bronner's soap bar to clean my beauty blenders and there have been no issues. In addition to this, I soak them in rubbing alcohol before I squeeze it out as much as I can and leave it to dry -- this is in hopes of preventing bacterial growth. To those who have had issues with mold, I suggest letting the beauty blender dry on top of a container in an area with good air flow.

While pricey, I really love this little tool and even the closest dupe (Real Techniques) does not feel quite the same (in terms of how it feels when I'm using it -- finish is quite similar). I will continue to repurchase :).

on 4/16/2013 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If you walk by this pink little guy all the time in Sephora and think to yourself "why the heck would I pay that much for a sponge, what's it got that one for the drug store doesn't?" Well, you've been missing out! And shame on you. However, I have to admit, I was one of those - for awhile - and suffering from terrible liquid foundation application. Until I finally purchased it after many walk-bys and reading wonderful reviews on here, and watching tutorials online. Honestly, I had no idea what all the fuss was about? It's a brightly coloured sponge - so what? Well, it's honestly the best applicator I have ever used. Better than brushes, my fingers and any other type or brand of sponge on the market. It makes applying SO easy and fast. Leaves a flawless finish. It's a breeze to clean. And I just store it in the container it came in, which is great! Stop walking by this, and purchase! Trust me. You won't be disappointed! And will wish you had of bought it a long time ago!

on 12/31/2012 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I resisted buying this for years because I thought it was gimmicky, but after I caved and bought a pack of two BB, I have no regrets! When used damp, the BB sponge gives almost all my foundations that perfect, skin-like finish without making it cakey, too thin or too thick. I like applying my foundation in dots all over my face first and then using a damp BB to stipple it out. Even matte foundations like MUFE Mat Velvet and Revlon Colorstay look more natural when applied this way. Honestly, the Beauty Blender makes all my foundation brushes and my other sponges obsolete. (I threw about half my brushes after buying this sponge. I wish I found it sooner so I didn't have to waste so much money on brushes!)

Even if you're a skeptic about this product like I was, I recommend giving it a try. Its density and shape makes it superior to applying foundation, even though I'm not sure how it does such a thing. The round part of the "egg" shape can be used to stipple foundation over large areas of your face, while the pointier end is helpful for wrapping around the corners of your nose.

EDIT: You don't need to buy the actual BB cleanser. I just use my foaming makeup remover to clean my BB, although I've heard of people just using Dove soap or something similar to do it. The pink version WILL bleed (which is normal) and both the pink and white versions will stain, so there's no way around it.

on 2/17/2012 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I know it os expensive, but totally worth it. After 3 years I finally gave in and all i can say it's WOW !!!! My foundation looks flawless( Sonia Kashuk luminous foundation) Gave me perfect coverage, it looks flawless.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools