beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

3.6

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Perfect for blending concealer, applying your bake, or applying sheer coverage foundation! Obsessed!

on 3/28/2016 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i feel like this little sponge is not really doing anything of me... and it is actually more troublesome for me i have to wash once in a few days or else it will stink as hell lol... and i don't have the time to keep washing my tools .. plus i have to replace this quite often.. overall this little pink teardrop ball is not really that amazing like how everyone say .. it is quite expensive and i still prefer to use my tarte airbrush foundation brush

on 1/18/2016 8:59:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Honestly, I REALLY wish MUA had "Maybe" as a choice if purchasing again. I really AM on the fence with Beauty Blender.

First the good. This sponge does a remarkable job in blending foundation. Better than brushes and in most cases better than fingers. On my "mature" skin, it's all about the blend.

Next, the not-so-good: For the price point, I think this is way overpriced. I will spend quite a bit of money on great products, but for the wear and tear this little sponge goes through, it IS rather pricey.
When I first purchased, I had to wash it seeming forever because pink dye kept running. I don't want that on my face.
It gets dirty quickly. I have to wash it every day--perhaps it is the OCD in me, but the soap that came with this sponge is wearing down quickly and I'm going to try to find a DIY cleaning solution for this.
The life of the sponge isn't really that long. I purchased in the fall. It has tears already. I think it may be from my fingernails digging into it when I'm washing it.
The soap that coordinates with Beauty Blender also has a slight lavender scent. If you are allergic to lavender beware. I'm allergic and have to wash it a second time with regular soap to get the lavender scent out of it. Just a heads up!

I really am on the fence with this. While it blends beautifully, I'm sure there is a dupe out there for less money that may be stronger and work just as well. Depending on how long this sponge lasts before falling apart totally, I'm really unsure if I will re-purchase. I ended up saying "no"--but I'm truly unsure.

on 12/19/2014 12:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I seem to be in the minority, but the beauty blender was just one of those fad things that some people absolutely love, but it just didn't work for me.

I have uber dry skin, and thought using the damp sponge might help with applying foundation. It just didn't work for me at all. It seemed to "kick up" flakes as I tried to work product in. Thinking maybe it was my foundation, I tried with different foundations, using it both dry, damp, and quite wet. Initially it would leave a nice finish, but once the dampness on my skin from the sponge dried, my skin looked uneven and blotchy.

Assuming I had been using it wrong, I went to youtube, trying to find a different technique. No luck. Not to mention, this sponge eats up product like crazy. I went from a half pump (before BBsponge) on my YSL foundation to 3 pumps. The coverage on my foundation went from full to medium using the sponge too.

Washing:
This is a pain. It takes forever to dry. Even a small amount of cleaning product, and this takes forever to rinse clean. But without a decent amount of cleaner, the makeup is still very visible on the surface. It looks stained and yucky even after a thorough washing. It takes even longer to dry.

I pull it out of my drawer from time to time, but always come to the same conclusion. I finally tossed it, and got some real techniques brushes. They are working much better for my dry skin.

on 6/23/2014 2:02:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I honestly don't know why people love and rave about this sponge so much. All it does is make my foundation look patchy and wet. I have not been able to make this work AT ALL for that purpose, though I do enjoy how it works with powder to set my makeup. It's not worth $20 at all IMO, not even $5. It's just a crappy little sponge, sorry! Haha

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I like the finish, how ever if you use a foundation that is silicone based, this thing will get damaged and absorb all the silicone...

on 10/29/2013 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

CLEANING: I will start by addressing the hard-to-get-clean / stained issue. I too had that problem when I immediately tried to wash it after applying makeup. It is as though the water "sets" the stain and it will not wash out completely.

As I found out by fluke, the trick is to apply the makeup, then let the sponge DRY with the makeup on it -- do not wash it yet. The next day, when you are ready to apply your makeup, run it under the water and by the second squeeze, the makeup will be all gone and the sponge will look good as new. Then you can add your soap and wash it before applying the new makeup. Afterwards, let it dry again with the makeup on it. The sponge (and this goes for the dupes too) will stay looking brand new by doing it this way.

Now for the review: I bought the Beauty Blender after having tried a couple dupes, which had also greatly improved the look of my makeup. Over the years I've had a harder time getting makeup to not look cakey or uh, plain bad... because my skin has become drier. Tried different moisturizers underneath, different makeup, all the same results. (Except I will say the Clinique Moisture surge did help a lot with the look of the makeup--I could even dab it over top cakey-looking makeup and it would make it look better). However, these sponges made enough of a difference that I decided to buy the real thing (BB). I can now put on makeup even without moisturizer underneath (I do spritz with some rosewater and glycerine first--Heritage Products) and this little sponge makes the makeup look like great skin. It is truly a game-changer for me. From seeing how these sponges work, I now think that all the makeup that I had returned to the store due to looking bad on me would have now worked with this sponge, because all makeup seems to look good now.

I will say though, that with some thinner makeups, the BB leaves more of a textured imprint because it has more of a porous texture than my dupe sponges which have a tighter porous structure. (Revive and Silk Naturals). The other thing is: when purchasing in a store, try to look at the flat end that puts the makeup on. My first BB had a dimple on it which made an imprint on the makeup, so I exchanged it for another. Those would be my only negatives. So I just use the dupe in this case.

BTW, the Silk Naturals black sponge is the closest one I found to the BB in softness, and it does a great job too. I alternate, and that will keep the BB in good shape beyond its 3-month life expectancy, which is fairly short considering the price of this thing.

There definitely is a difference with these sponges in looks and feel: they are not the same.
- The BB is very soft and squishy (easily collapsible when squeezed). The porous texture is a little more pronounced than the dupes--it kind of looks like mousse (the dessert). This sponge bounces on your face better than the others because it is so very soft. It does not "push" or stretch your skin but conforms to it.
- The Revive is more dense and firm, so does not squeeze as easily (not very squishy), and the texture is tighter (more than those triangle white sponges though--it's sort of a unique texture, really). It was the first sponge I bought. I noticed my makeup looked better with it than by using my fingers, which is what made me pursue this method. Its texture is good with thinner watery-type makeups because its surface is smoother than the BB, so with a thin makeup, it did not leave a texture thumbprint (at least in my experience). However with thicker makeup, it looked a little more pronounced. It seemed to do better with certain makeups (e.g. Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse looked good; Maybelline BB cream and Clinique Even Better did not).
- The SIlk Naturals one is not quite as spongy as the BB but much more so than the Revive. Its texture/porousness and firmness is in between the BB and the Revive. I would say it is the middle ground between the BB and the Revive. It does an excellent job with all the makeups I've tried, including the thinner watery ones. They look smooth and like skin.
- Bella is similar to Revive and looks much like the same texture except maybe slightly softer.
- CVS Essence of Beauty - much stiffer when compared to the others, and unlike any of these other ones - like a cheap latex-y sponge. It was awful, and so were the makeup results. I don't recommend that one.

All of them puff up to become quite large when immersing in water then squeezing out the excess (the way they are supposed to be used). The CVS one still stayed too firm, in comparison to the others. The Bella and Revive need to be soaked well or else they look a little bit like they have cellulite (when you squeeze them they dimple unevenly); but when they are fully soaked, they are fine.

If I had to choose a dupe, it would be the Silk Naturals first, because it is the closest I've found to the BB (even though it isn't shaped the same); then the Revive or Bella (bought at Marshalls or TJ Maxx). The CVS one was the only one I returned to the store.

on 6/19/2013 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This wee sponge does WONDERS.

My skin is super dry, and even with regular exfoliation and moisturising, it is so difficult for me to apply my makeup without flakes... but not with the BeautyBlender! I dampen it ever so slightly and then use a stippling motion to blend my makeup, using the pointed tip around my eyes and nose, and it gives a near perfect finish. It doesn't soak up much product, just distributes it and helps achieve a gorgeous blend. I use it both when applying my concealer and foundation.

Amazing little sponge that I will repurchase again and again - it has really been worth the money for me!

on 4/15/2013 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

In all honesty, this is probably the best sponge I have every used. My mom and I have bought all of the makeup sponges Sephora had to offer. The Beauty Blender however is more friendlier to the face due to its soft material. Although it is more on the expensive side, I would buy it again. The reason people complain about the sponge absorbing too much product is because they squeeze out too much water which leaves room for foundation to be absorbed in. Also, this sponge DOES NOT work well with sheer or oil based products. Think about it, you're using water to damp it and then oil products, it doesn't go hand in hand. Also, maintaining the sponge properly will make sure you do not break out on your face due to bacterial build up. Clean it after every use, and you will receive great results from this sponger. Completely recommend it.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This sponge changed the way i feel about foundation. I used to hate applying it, because my skins so dry it would just patch up. But when i use my damp knock off beauty blender, that i got on ebay for $3....... i love applying my foundation now!! its so fast, and easy. & its just amazing. I recommend any one get this!
Although i am not sure if this is breaking me out, i have very sensitive skin./acne prone. I hope its not this breaking me out tho!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools