beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.2

on 12/3/2007 9:04:00 PM

Yes this item is ridiculously expensive BUT it is WORTH it. I have purchased concealer brushes (both low end and high end) even used my fingers or wedges, however, my foundation never looked smooth so I decided to give into the hype and try out the Beautyblender and I am glad that I did. I will admit that it took me a good 2 - 3 tries before I got the hang of it, and now after having this item for two weeks, I can say that I am quite pleased and very glad to have purchased it. My foundation goes on natural and flawless and looks better than it did before.

on 1/9/2008 6:19:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Oh the amazing pink egg! I ordered 2 of these for $25 at Dermadoctor.com, and used CART5 at the end to get an extra 5% off. My totally was $27.70 for two pink sponges that probably cost about $0.02 to make. BUT--they're AMAZING sponges! AH!!! I'm so very impressed. And if you think about it, you can buy 30 or so sponges for $1 at CVS or whatever, and use those all up, throw them away and then contribute to overthrows in the landfills...or out of convenience sake, you can use one of these for a while (they say 3-4 months...I plan on making my egg last longer) and then recycle it with beautyblender's blendersender program that recycles the pink egg. But anyway, if you're eco-friendly this is a great alternative to all the other sponges...even if you're not, this is more convenient, I have to say.

Ok so past that- my eggs arrive today safe and sound from dermadoctor and they feel like no other sponge I've ever felt. They're absolutely amazing- really really soft and especially gorgeous lol! I put one in water and it expanded 2x its size, and then I squeezed the water out, and then rolled it in a washcloth to get the extra water out. I watched the blender video, which can be found on beautblender.com.

How to use: After dampening and wiping with the washcloth, I pumped some Diorskin forever liquid foundation onto my hand. I stuck the tip of the egg into it and dabbed the foundation onto my skin. Immediately it looked wonderful, and all my foundation brushes are going into the garbage. No lie. The most even coverage I've ever gotten- it's impossible to go overboard using this sponge- it really does distribute foundation evenly. Right now I'm having a good skin day/week/hopefully month and I didn't need any concealer. My foundation really did look absolutely flawless and wonderful, and the egg feels so incredibly soft on your skin. It's actually FUN to put on!

Of course I didn't stop there, and I thought mischievously as I held the egg, "what else can I use this for?"- I found my vanilla pigment that I love to use as a cheek highlighter, and I dabbed it into the vanilla pigment. Again, perfect success using it to dab some piggie onto my cheeks to highlight! I couldn't stop there of course, and went to my NARS orgasm blush. It picked up only a little bit of pigment because the sponge was a little more wet on the bottom- I have no doubt that had I used the sponge dry (which CAN be done!!!) it would have picked up a lot of the blush and it would have been great to use. Just didn't pick up that much when wet.

Cleaning: I did not get the blenderclenser, and I tried to clean with some soap today. DIDN'T get all the makeup off, so i'm going to keep trying different soaps and cleaners until I find one that will take off all the makeup. When I find it, I'll update this. I tried some B&BW soap today...not the best to use, IMO, but I'm still at home from college break and I've got all my cleaners at my condo at school.

Overall fantastic product and worth the money. I tend to be lazy with sponges that are disposable, so there'll be 20 different used sponges all over the place. I'd rather have this re-usable one that I just have to clean (not a hassle for me), and can put on the little stand it comes with (only plastic--nothing too special) and have it look cute in the bathroom. I must admit I at first wanted this because of the color and cuteness factor- which is why I didn't buy it at first. Then all the hype came out for how amazing it is, so based on the lovely MUAers, I had to buy it. It's definitely worth it, IMO.

on 3/27/2008 9:50:00 AM

Prior to getting this, I had used sponges to apply foundation occasionally but mostly reverted to using my fingers, as I found the finish was much better. After hearing rave reviews about this, I got over my initial reluctance to spend that much money on a sponge and bought one - I don't regret it for an instant! The result is excellent - an airbrushed look, excellent coverage but still natural. I use the Blendercleanser to clean it after use and so far it's been 1.5 months - the sponge is still going strong! Would recommend this!

EDIT - no longer use this - too much hassle, plus I think it dried out my skin somehow!!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i got two eggs shipped for $25 at dermadoctor, so to me, it's not outrageously expensive. yes, more expensive than a drugstore sponge, but it really does feel different. i probably wouldn't pay $20/each though. it is a cute, nifty lil sponge that really works. it is durable (if you take care of it and keep it away from the cat) and really saves me a lot of time. sometimes, i wet the sponge, depending on the type of foundation used. it also works well dry. you do have to play w/ it a lil to find the right application technique that works for your skin. i haven't applied foundation w/ a brush ever since i got this. oh, and i'm doing fine w/o the sponge cleanser. my makeup still comes off and the sponges still look new and hot pink.

**Docking a point because mine has managed to become stained by cream based foundations (Stephane Marais)**

Purchased the set of two with the recommended Beautyblender cleanser. Great idea, have two sponges, one to use, and one to have clean while the other needs cleaned. I love these sponges since they make anything easy to apply. Put a dab on the point and get every crevice by your nose, a even covering below your lower lash line... you name it, it'll put foundation there.

I clean mine maybe once a week each (lazy). I don't think "old foundation" has an effect on it's finish. I haven't noticed any pink fuzz from mine.

Would I repurchase? Probably, if everybody else's knock offs aren't as good.

on 9/25/2009 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

Guys- grab this. Yes, it's expensive, but it's so amazing! Use it damp and watch it transform your face! I love this! Just make sure to wash it often, otherwise, ewww, but besides for needing frequent washing, this scores! I am not using my foundation brush anymore because this is so, so much better.

Thanks, MUA, for introducing me to yet another expensive product I am determined to use for life. I use CoverFX cream foundation to cover largish swaths of melasma left over from pregnancy and a childhood spent in the sun. This stuff is THICK, and it's easy to overapply. I've used my fingers, brushes, cheap drugstore wedge sponges, you name it, and I still end up with too much product on the outer layer of the skin and not enough settled down in the pores. I just want a thin layer all over. The first time I used the Beautyblender I was amazed at how evenly my foundation applied, and how my coverage was opaque but thin. The technique is easy; just stipple instead of rubbing. I don't like to buy specialized cleaning products b/c I think they're part of a major racket--I mean, this sponge is expensive enough as it is--so I just used my favorite brush cleaner, Prell shampoo (the classic green gel). Worked beautifully, although it did take a bit of time to squeeze the suds out of the sponge (Prell's fault, not the sponge's). The extra time and effort are worth it. I haven't tried the sponge yet for applying cream blushes, etc., but I look forward to it. Incidentally, I did use the pointed tip to apply eyeshadow base, and it worked like a dream. If you want an airbrushed look that still gives your skin the texture of SKIN, this is the tool to use.

on 4/19/2010 7:31:00 PM

Love this item. Every foundation brush I've tried has at least something wrong with it-- streaky makeup, absorbs too much foundation, can't get into the tiny areas around my nose, etc. Beautyblender doesn't have any problems (at least so far) and I love how easy it is to wash it. My makeup always looks perfect (not cakey) and it's easy to add more foundation in the areas where it needs it. Perfect!

on 7/25/2010 5:05:00 AM

I was very hesitant about buying this product but after a couple of months I caved in and purchased the set that included 2 sponges and the sponge cleaner. I have used damped sponges before and loved the flawless coverage it gave me. The only problems that I had with other sponges was that when dampened they became a little harder to work with because they were not as dense. I love the beauty blender because I get the same effect but its much easier to work with. It covers a larger area and you can get a better grip because it is a larger sponge which is important when you are trying to stipple your foundation on. I really like that there is no tugging of my skin especially when I am putting my under eye concealer and that my concealer doesn't settle on the fine lines around my eyes. Product just gets perfectly distributed. Its egg shape really helps when you want to cover small areas, just have to use the narrow side. Overall a great tool. Very happy with it.

Undoubtedly the best thing I've ever used to apply my foundation. I always use it wet, and pat it on my skin. I get the most flawless, even complexion when I do this. I was skeptical at first, but now, i am a full-blown convert. I have purchased 4 of them, and will not EVER be without them!!! AMAZING

Popular Misc Beauty Tools