beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.2

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Cons
- Expensive for what it is
- Uses 2x as much product (foundation) as I would use with a brush
- Does not cover as well as a brush in my opinion.... hence maybe why I use 2x as much product to cover
- Just read another MUA review on here that I think is worth re-stating: "Absorbs skincare. I am pale and skincare obsessed. This does absorb sunscreen." I can see how that would be a thing
- Cleaning: the instructions state that it should be cleaned after every use (aka every day for some of us). Who has time for that? Even when you do clean (even if it is regularly), the stains will not come off. Tbh that is not a major big deal for me, but worth noting
- Storage: where/how do you store this in a hygienic manner?

Pros
- It is kind of fun to use ... something new than how I have been applying makeup on.
- I have only been using this to apply foundation, but I can see how this might be better used for applying liquid/cream blush or bronzer

Overall
- Despite the many concerns and cons that I have with this, I think it's worth trying at least once - I can see how some people may like it if you've hated using brushes. If you're really big on makeup and devoting a lot of time/products/money/tools to it, this may add to your collection and something that you turn to. I am not opposed to having one of these in my possession, but it is not a must have . It is kind of fun to use and, although that's such a silly minor thing, if it makes your makeup routine less a routine and more fun, it's good

The real techniques sponge is just as good but I have a chanel fdtn brush I love so anyways I prefer my fingers. It warms the fdtn and can get every nook & cranny. Just personal pref! These sponges are good. But I could easily live w/o mine.

Holy grail for sure. Been using this for years and there is just no dupe that performes just as good as the beautyblender and is just as soft & bouncy. I am using the black one. I like that there are different shades to pick. It is pricey though.

I have mixed feelings about this sponge. I like using it damp to bounce foundation onto the skin. It does blend nicely and makeup looks airbrushed. In this way it lives up to the claims.

I wash it religiously. I have used beautyblender's own liquid cleanser and beautyblender's solid cleanser. I have followed recommendations on Makeup Alley's Makeup Board and tried Dr. Bronner's and Dawn. They all work pretty well to remove the makeup but none of them do it as easily or thoroughly as I would like. There are still flesh-colored makeup stains on the sponge. The pink dye is not colorfast, so it gradually comes off. It can come off on white towels.

No matter how much I wash it, I occasionally get little black dots on the surface. One reviewer I found on the internet said this was mold. Another reviewer said it was not mold and nothing to worry about. But I don't like the black dots. I know they are not supposed to be there, so when that happens I wash the sponge more and they do come off. But what are they and why do they occur? I am perplexed. I have tried another piece of advice which is to set the sponge on a windowsill in daylight to dry. I think that helps but it is another ritual I have to remember to do, and I am busy in the morning. This darn sponge is high-maintenance. My brushes are easier to use and clean and as long as I use brush cleaner, they stay in good shape with no mysterious weirdness to combat.

I think the beautyblender blends foundation well, but it is overpriced, and especially when it is so annoying to keep clean. Because I take care of it, following the instructions of the manufacturer and its many worshipers, it soaks up more of my time than water. I use this pink sponge once in awhile and I like it, but I prefer the Real Techniques foundation brush for the simplicity. My foundation looks just as good with the brush, and it's easier to keep clean. The beautyblender is good but I have to fiddle with it a lot. It is too expensive for what it does.

Perfectly applies my liquid foundation. The end.

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Totally love this blender. Works like magic. I think i can live with only beauty blender and without any other brushes. So smooth and flawless, easy blending, not time consuming,

on 1/22/2015 4:50:00 AM

I never right reviews here, but it's almost 2 am and I can't sleep so let me share with you my thoughts. First of all I have tried every beauty blender knock off and the original one and they awful. Damp, super wet l, or just plain dry, this sponge acts like a sponte because that's what it is, it absorbs most of the product and you are left with an uneven and sheer bad foundation coverage on your skin. I have tried this with th e kat von d d and revlon color stay foundations which are the most pigmented, heavier and overall full in coverage, and this stupid thing still managed to thin out the foundation damp or dry. I don't understand the fascination with this product and others like it. It gives you no coverage and eats up everything! Even if you are expecting a natural and light coverage finish, this will actually leave your face without any product. This is basically smearing your foundation all over your face until the sponge eats up the foundation and leaves you with zero product on your face. Awful, truly awful product.

on 1/19/2015 11:58:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Received as gift after a friend learned I was exploring "dupes". The sponge is wonderful and I really like it. HOWEVER, there are dupes that work just as well for me. As much as I like the beauty blender, I think I prefer the Real Techniques. I'm 70 with fair skin so really good foundation application is a must. Gotta hide those wrinkles and pigmentations without looking made-up. Right, senior ladies?

on 12/17/2014 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I'm late to jump on the BB bandwagon but like it so far. I've used it with tinted moisturizers, foundations, cream compact foundations, and even Laneige BB cushion, because I don't like the flat spongey applicator included with the compact. My foundation looks natural but the sponge seems to absorb a lot of product. I can never get this thing clean though, no matter what I use. After cleaning, there's always a blob of foundation stuck on the fat end of the sponge that I can't remove, but that's probably user error. I like BB, but I was previously using the Shu Uemura lightbulb foundation sponge to apply my makeup, which I like better due to its smoother texture.

on 6/17/2014 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This product is great! I was hesitant to buy it at first because I did not think it would cover up my blemishes and the dryness on my skin. I got the target brand one and it was a total disappointment. But then I got this one, it works so well. Nothing compares to this! Love love love!💞

Popular Misc Beauty Tools