beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

on 3/6/2007 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This works so much better for me than a sponge or foundation brush. Well worth the 20 bucks. I'll pass on the pricey cleanser, though. I use a few drops of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, and it cleans just as well as the Beautyblender stuff for a whole lot less.

Note: I've discovered Daiso Detergent cleanser. A small bottle runs about $11 on Amazon. A very small amount cleans the Beautyblender nothing like else, and it easily gets rid of the gummy eyeliner residue from my smudge brushes. Great stuff.

on 7/14/2007 12:29:00 AM

After several years on makeupalley, I think I've become rather cynical about products. If one doesn't strike me as incredible, there is no way I'm going to give it a second shot. When I saw this on amazon.com, offered through bebeautiful.com, I read the reviews and then waited. For a month. I just didn't want to buy another item I wouldn't use. I finally caved when, even using my MAC 187, my foundation looked ridiculous.

From the first use, this makeup applicator made my makeup application look professional. I use it to "stipple" my face, as I have excessive redness in my t-zone. It's rounded edges mean that there is no foundation that will collect in the applicator or my skin. I gently stipple about 5 small dots of foundation into my skin and then wipe it under my eyes for a flawless look.

If you get one of these, I highly recommend the 2 sponge and 1 bottle of cleaner set. It's price efficient and the cleanser cleans the sponge quickly and with minimal effort.

I highly recommend this for anyone that has felt dissatisfied with makeup application or who has just about given up on their foundation. Give it one more try with this beautyblender! It can make the difference between a blah face and a flawless face.

on 10/18/2007 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

General description of me: I am NC15, with auburn hair, brown eyes, and freckles. I am a bit gullible, and am easily suckered in by anything in the beauty world that is new, exclusive, and often, expensive. I like shiny things, and like a chicken, I can't resist them. This isn't shiny, but it was expensive, so naturally, I wanted it. Of course, I couldn't find it on a swap list, so I forked over the $$
Description of product: It arrived in a sealed, clear plastic container, like a pink egg from another world, sent here in it's own little time capsule. My little pink egg had some rough traveling. Its package cruelly dug into it, making two odd dents. I found this disturbing and was concerned for the welfare of my expensive pink egg. I decided to take out the little packet of cleanser included with it to give the egg a bath and hope it would be reborn egg shaped instead of squished. After a bath and drying time overnight, the egg was reborn into its original unblemished state, and I was finally able to try it out. I don't like delayed gratification, but the pink egg was worth it. Despite feeling like something of a sucker for paying that much for what is basically a makeup sponge, I quickly got over it and put the little pink egg to work for its money's worth.
Effects of this product: I first used it only for blending foundation. It works quite well for this purpose, better than a typical sponge, and doesn't seem to erase what I have just spent time applying. It just gives it a soft focus. For me, the real test of it came when I found I was suddenly reaching for it all the time for e/s blending. It just seemed to make it look like I had been to a professional makeup artist for application, and I am actually a bit of a makeup klutz in terms of application. I think the first step is to admit you have a problem......
so back to the review. I continue to rely on my little pink friend nearly continuously. I blend with it every day. I eventually tossed it's distant cousins, the round drug store imitators. And I have a secret....... my little pink sponge won't be lonely long. I've ordered it a twin sister.
continued >>

on 10/30/2007 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

WOW! WOW, WOW!!!!!!..... finally I can achieve that flawless, airbrushed look..... even at age 59!!!!! I first heard about these sponges on the makeup board...thank you to cavewoman for the great recommendation! I have been using these for over a month now and I cannot believe what a difference a sponge can make! Even in a magnifying mirror and in bright sunlight, this blends makeup so well, evenly and smoothly.... it virtually disappears, but it's there....covering perfectly! These are the BEST sponges ever - better than any brush, fingers or any other makeup sponges I have tried. This is an incredible, fabulous litttle product (and it comes with a special cleaner that's fast and easy, too). I do not want to ever live without it....I bought two...one for home, one for travel and will no doubt stock up on a few more spares!

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I must agree with everyone else here. You need this! I have never been a big fan of sponges, but this one works well, the shape is versatile and the material is superb. I bought two.

WARNING: If you have a cat, store this away safely when not in use. It is a very attractive cat toy!

on 11/29/2007 8:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've been using the beautyblender sponge every day for a couple of weeks now, and thus far, I've decided that it works best with denser, heavily pigmented foundations like Kevyn Aucoin's SSE. I've used it with various foundations. VL Liquid Canvas Dew, GA LSF, Shiseido The Makeup Cream, LM Silk Creme, and others I'm blanking on at the moment. IMHO, it works best (dampened like the instructions suggest) with KA SSE and not as wonderfully with some of the less dense ones. I think with other lighter, liquid foundations, it absorbs more product than I'd like. I'm glad I got it because it helps the KA SSE go on beautifully. I tried the KA SSE without the beautyblender a couple of times and couldn't get the same natural-looking results. I think it would work well to blend concealer, too, but I haven't tried that yet. I've never had any luck at all with makeup sponges (I use brushes or fingers), but the beautyblender has made a difference with my applicaiton of KA's SSE. If you use denser, cream foundations, I'd highly suggest getting it. If you only use lighter, liquid foundations, I don't think (at this point in my experimentation) it would be worth it.

on 1/9/2008 6:19:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Oh the amazing pink egg! I ordered 2 of these for $25 at Dermadoctor.com, and used CART5 at the end to get an extra 5% off. My totally was $27.70 for two pink sponges that probably cost about $0.02 to make. BUT--they're AMAZING sponges! AH!!! I'm so very impressed. And if you think about it, you can buy 30 or so sponges for $1 at CVS or whatever, and use those all up, throw them away and then contribute to overthrows in the landfills...or out of convenience sake, you can use one of these for a while (they say 3-4 months...I plan on making my egg last longer) and then recycle it with beautyblender's blendersender program that recycles the pink egg. But anyway, if you're eco-friendly this is a great alternative to all the other sponges...even if you're not, this is more convenient, I have to say.

Ok so past that- my eggs arrive today safe and sound from dermadoctor and they feel like no other sponge I've ever felt. They're absolutely amazing- really really soft and especially gorgeous lol! I put one in water and it expanded 2x its size, and then I squeezed the water out, and then rolled it in a washcloth to get the extra water out. I watched the blender video, which can be found on beautblender.com.

How to use: After dampening and wiping with the washcloth, I pumped some Diorskin forever liquid foundation onto my hand. I stuck the tip of the egg into it and dabbed the foundation onto my skin. Immediately it looked wonderful, and all my foundation brushes are going into the garbage. No lie. The most even coverage I've ever gotten- it's impossible to go overboard using this sponge- it really does distribute foundation evenly. Right now I'm having a good skin day/week/hopefully month and I didn't need any concealer. My foundation really did look absolutely flawless and wonderful, and the egg feels so incredibly soft on your skin. It's actually FUN to put on!

Of course I didn't stop there, and I thought mischievously as I held the egg, "what else can I use this for?"- I found my vanilla pigment that I love to use as a cheek highlighter, and I dabbed it into the vanilla pigment. Again, perfect success using it to dab some piggie onto my cheeks to highlight! I couldn't stop there of course, and went to my NARS orgasm blush. It picked up only a little bit of pigment because the sponge was a little more wet on the bottom- I have no doubt that had I used the sponge dry (which CAN be done!!!) it would have picked up a lot of the blush and it would have been great to use. Just didn't pick up that much when wet.

Cleaning: I did not get the blenderclenser, and I tried to clean with some soap today. DIDN'T get all the makeup off, so i'm going to keep trying different soaps and cleaners until I find one that will take off all the makeup. When I find it, I'll update this. I tried some B&BW soap today...not the best to use, IMO, but I'm still at home from college break and I've got all my cleaners at my condo at school.

Overall fantastic product and worth the money. I tend to be lazy with sponges that are disposable, so there'll be 20 different used sponges all over the place. I'd rather have this re-usable one that I just have to clean (not a hassle for me), and can put on the little stand it comes with (only plastic--nothing too special) and have it look cute in the bathroom. I must admit I at first wanted this because of the color and cuteness factor- which is why I didn't buy it at first. Then all the hype came out for how amazing it is, so based on the lovely MUAers, I had to buy it. It's definitely worth it, IMO.

This pink egg sponge is a make-up artist dream. before discovering this i used to "trim" the edge of my wedge sponges to prevent streaking. an added bonus: I can use this and re-use it! you can toss it in the wash or rinse it w/ soap and water. I use Revlon color stay with Softflex, another make-up artist "on the cheap" favorite. I pour some foundation on the top of my hand (which i use like a palette) dip the Beautyblender and dab foundation on my cheeks, bridge of nose, forehead, etc and blend in a rolling motion following the shape of the egg. for a dewy finish i blend with stippling brush.. and set with a little bit of mineral powder. the best flawless finish.

sometimes i use it with just mineral powder alone and it looks fabulous!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a wonderful little pink egg sponge full of joy!!! I adore this, it blends my MU beautifully for a flawless finish, I am finding I am using even less powder with this. Just do exactly what it tells you to do, wet it, squeeze it out in a paper towel and go to work. You will get a beautifully flawless finish. I us CG Advance Radiance and they give you a little cheap square sponge which I learned to use. NEVER again!!! This beauty will be in my MU aresenal from now on! Just remember to clean it, you can use your own gentle cleanser but as a friend of mine put it, I got the "egg cleaner".

on 1/26/2008 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am a sucker for beauty gadgets, always looking for that new product that will be the HG. So to treat myself, I bought the two pack together with the cleanser.

I like the beautyblender but I think I'm less impressed with it because I was already really good at applying foundation with my fingers. That said, this has provided the best coverage that I have ever gotten from a tool, hands down. Foundation brushes are terrible and latex sponges don't do much better. So it's either this or my fingers. The benefit to this is that it may be faster and less messy than using my hands. I'm still working on the technique - it's not difficult but the more you play with it, the better you become at achieving "special effects". I have yet to master the "stipple and swirl" to cover up those pesky blemishes.

Over all a good product. I can see where it would become a consistent part of someone's kit and can certainly help those people who've not had "professional" make-up application down to an art (the symptom of all beauty junkies!) - it makes foundation a no brainer.

EDIT: I have found that, when washing the blender, it works better to get it soapy before getting it wet. I wash it with the blender cleanser. I wait until it's "dry" (natural state) and then put cleanser all over the spots where there is makeup. I then work it in and after get the blender wet - it seems to work better as nearly all the makeup is washed out, what usually isn't the case if i wash it in a dampened state.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools