beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

on 10/10/2010 7:51:00 PM

In my endless quest to find the perfect foundation application, I've realized that brushes can't achieve that flawless texture - at least not w/full-coverage liquids or creams. So I gave the old standard white
wedge sponges a second look. Dampened, and used with the lightest stippling touch, I've been able to achieve full coverage with a porcelain finish. The only problem was the hard lines they made at the edges - which I'd then have to blend out. Pain in the... Enter the BeautyBlender. I ordered it online, but couldn't wait, so I ran out and bought the blue Sonia Kashuk dupe. That proved way too firm and dense (like the yellow Sephora dupe). The two of those actually hurt my face bc I couldn't stipple lightly. No worries, bc I had heard the pink BeautyBlender was much softer. In truth, it is softer than the dupes - about the same as my wedges. However, not as dense as my white wedges - and very porous. That's my big problem with the BeautyBlender - too porous, so the finish is too sheer. And I didn't want to use more than 3 layers of foundation bc it soaks up so much product (and yes, I only used it damp). Day by day, I did side-by-side comparisons, and the BeautyBlender just couldn't beat my wedges. In terms of coverage and texture, I'm sticking w/wedge sponges. For reference, I used EL DW and Nars Sheer Glow in thin layers on top of each other.

If it was made of the same dense, but soft, material as my wedges, but in that ingenious egg shape for seamless application, it would be the HG to end all HG's. Unfortunately, for all the hype, the BeautyBlender turned out to be the biggest disappointment of all the makeup products/tools I've ever purchased. I've seen it work well on youtube w/MAC Full Coverage - but that's an entirely different texture than anything I use - and mind you, that's on youtube. It's expensive, yes, but I'd gladly pay anything to achieve a flawless finish. This didn't come close - and it soaked up too much product.

UPDATE: I continue trying every possible application with this tool. To date, the only use for which it's fairly effective is pressing Powderflage into the corner of my eyes. Aside from that, standard white sponges trump this gimmick. I have no idea how the BeautyBlender is rated so well. I just think it's the biggest gimmick ever. The pink color, the shape, the hype - all very seductive; but the actual finished product it leaves is mediocre at best. Nothing a wedge sponge can't do - and a wedge sponge does it for 1/30 the cost and gives much better results.

on 10/4/2011 12:06:00 AM

I first heard of this sponge after seeing a YouTube video of Kim K's makeup routine. I hesitated to buy it because I feel Kim K is a worthless human being, but eventually I started seeing buzz about it on various blogs and eventually MUA. I finally bit the bullet a few weeks ago and bought one.

Now, I too have gorgeous airbrushed-looking skin and I didn't even have to make an adult tape with a C-list R&B singer!

Yes, the BeautyBlender is expensive. Almost exorbitantly so, if you think about the cost of raw materials to make just one tiny sponge, but I've never been able to apply foundation and concealer so flawlessly, and gotten so many compliments on my skin (even though I used it with the same foundation I've been using for years!). Seriously - I have some terrible vices that wreak havoc on my skin - namely bourbon and Camel Lights - and if I put on my foundation with the BeautyBlender, no one can tell! It's that good.

It's design is simple but ingenious, and soft enough to blend out any stippling, even around the eyes and nose. I'd go into detail about how to apply, but there are several other reviews that do so, as well as an official BeautyBlender video on YouTube. If you choose to purchase it (and you should), take a look!

I'll continue to buy these over and over again. I can't imagine putting on my foundation without one.

on 12/10/2015 9:59:00 AM

I bought the beauty blender because of all the fuss and reviews that it is amazing and irreplaceable. It is amazing, but NOT irreplaceable! I first purchased the Miracle sponge by real techniques (about a month and a half ago) and i was my first interraction with makeup sponges. I was amazed from the 1st application, i will never ever use my fingers again!

While searching for youtube videos about how to make the best of this sponge, i got to realize that the beautyblender was so much more expesive! i had no idea and i bought the micracle sponge because that was the most reasonable looking sponge in Boots (they didn't have beautybelnder at all anyway). So now i bought the beautyblender out of curiosity and to understand why most people say that miracle sponge is good, but not as good as the beautyblender.

Not that i have tested both, i can't possible understand why people would pay 3 times more for the beautyblender. Unless you have supervision, there is no difference in the finish between the 2 sponges! They maybe have different composition, but the result is the same!!!! So, the reason i am giving this a 3 is because the price doesn't justify the results when there is a competitor product doing the same, 3 times cheaper.

- there is no difference in "bounceability" between the 2! And if there is, i don't see a difference in the end result!
- BB is NOT softer than the miracle sponge. This was a shock as eveybody says that BB is softer. It's not, on the contrary, once wet, the micracle sponge is slightly softer and less dense than the BB which i like more
- miracle sponge washes better, it's easier to get the foundation off. I washed my BB this morning and it is still stained, probably the composition of the sponge retains product, which i don't like. i feel it's dirty even though i washed it. Also, and this was a big dissapointment, once i washed the BB, when i squeezed it, the water was PINK because of the colorant used. I hope the colorant is natural (is it?), but that was so disappointing!

All in all, BB is a great product, foundation will not look the same with any other product, EXCEPT the miracle sponge which gives the exact same finish.

And, if you're thinking it, i don't mind the £12 i spent on BB, i don't find it that expensive, but if i can get the same result with less money, why not? i am not trying to "shame" BB, but seriously, if you are thinking about buying one buy a miracle sponge first and if you are not happy with it, then buy a BB - but i guarantee you won't see a difference :)

on 7/11/2017 3:38:00 PM

Flat sponges are better and cheaper. The beauty blender absorbs too much product and the results are not worthy of the praise I've been hearing about. You are better off using a flat sponge, shiseido foundation brush or your fingers. This silly cheapo sponge is ridiculous. It is worth $2 at most. It's funny how all the people who gave BB 5 lippies describe their method of application in such a way that it sounds exhausting as well as inconvenient. C'mon. People are trying too hard to make this silly thing work. The company is really having a good laugh.

on 2/15/2014 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had such high expectations for this product after seeing all the YouTube-clips and reading the good reviews, so when I finally purchased the product, I got really disappointed. I really did not notice any difference to other sponges. At least for me it did not work at all. I will therefore keep using a brush ;) only way to get a beautiful base!

on 5/6/2013 8:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Oh how I wanted to love this. But I'm sorry to say I can't stand this product. For me, it's awkward to work it, it absorbs a huge deal of makeup (even though I do use the sponge wet), and the worst part is that if you have any concealer on beforehand, this sponge will completely remove it with one pass. Seriously?!

Yes it is a convenient tool to have but I probably wouldn't repurchase again, because I have done a comparisons between this and just using clean fingers the results are the same if not better. With fingers you can even get more control and less products to apply foundation or other cream products. So I wouldn't say it's a essential product especially for the price tag.

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I love this! This made my foundation application a whole lot easier, faster, and better. A lot of different types and brands of foundations work with the Beauty Blender. I find that I grab for this more often than the other foundation brushes that I have now. Don't get me wrong, the brushes out there are still good but this is different. This really blends the foundation to the skin so smoothly, covers pores and imperfections with ease and you don't have to worry about your skin getting streaky where you have to go back and blend it again and again. Just be diligent in cleaning it after every use to protect it and keep it in good quality longer. Also, I apply the foundation all over my face and neck in wide stripes or dots with my fingers then blend and bounce it on with the beauty blender. I do not pick up the foundation, especially if it's liquid, with this cause it kinda soaks up a good amount of the product before it reaches the skin. But still, will definitely repurchase over and over than the brushes!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

When I first saw this product I really wanted to try it but just started using liquid foundation and didn't want to splurge on these sponges. I eventually received it as a birthday gift from a friend and fell in love with them. The sponge applies makeup smoothly and very naturally. I don't like a makeup-y look or feel so this, combined with the foundation I choose to use, is perfect for the natural look I want while providing good coverage. The sponge is supposed to be used damp so this may have something to do with the ease of application. I know that some have said that it does the same as a good brush that doesn't need replaced as often, but I think it works faster (even if you do clean it with every application) and you have more control than with a foundation brush. To save money, I suggest purchasing the 2-pack of sponges for only $6 more.

I also received the cleanser with my sponges, which can be purchased with the sponge(s) as a set or separately. I like the cleanser and cleaning the sponge definitely prolongs the life of it but the cleanser is really, absurdly expensive...I even purchased another bottle after my gift ran out and will stand by my opinion. My Neutrogena One Step Gentle facial cleanser works just as well and I can use it on my face (unlike the blendercleanser). I wouldn't use just any cleanser and definitely not a scrub but that one works well--for makeup brushes too :)

I do want to point out that my main reason for locating a new sponge cleanser to use is that the blendercleanser contains vegetable-based cleansing agents and while it is not applied directly to the face and it is rinsed from the sponge, I didn't want to take any chances since I break out easy enough without added help from anything vegetable-based. That, in addition to the steep price tag, led to my experimentation with the gentle facial cleanser.

I was avoiding purchasing this for about a year and a half because of its price. And I've been trying dupes in the meanwhile. However, I just couldn't resist the urge anymore.
The hype is real, as no other sponge I've tried compares to this. I used to think all sponges were the same, because it's only a sponge after all. But I studied the topic and realized that this sponge has an "open cell structure" technology that the brand claims is unique and that I assume is copyrighted, so the other dupes can't come close to it. And from experience I can say it's true, from observing the following:
- It's so much softer than other dupes
- Very easy to clean compared to dupes
- Doesn't absorb much product as other dupes
I use the BB mainly for applying CONCEALERS and high coverage foundations which normally look cakey if applied with a brush. The BB reduces the texture left by high coverage foundations (in my case, my HG high coverage is Inglot HD foundation) and improves their appearance on the skin. As for light to medium coverage foundations (in my case my HG light coverage foundation is the Bourjois Healthy mix/radiance reveal foundation) I still prefer applying them with a brush because, even the one and only BB will absorb most of it. But I really adore the BB for concealer application. I wash it with dish washer and olive oil after every application and it's still not stained!
I give it 4 lippies because of its high price, but i understand why it's pricey. Being a copyright product with that "unique" technology. But if you ask me if it really makes a difference being the original BB, my answer is yes.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools