beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.2

on 2/26/2012 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Total piece of crap. Got rid of it after a few days of use. And I actually read the instructions and watched youtube videos of people applying foundation with the BB before trying myself. Pink dye made me break out first day of use, and I hadn't changed anything else in my foundation routine. As soon as I stopped using the BB, breakout cleared up! Foundation looks amazing right after applying with the BB, but at the end of the day, OH MY GOD. I was so embarrassed---most of my foundation was just gone and was blotchy, like I'm too cheap to own a proper foundation brush. Horrible product and way too expensive for something that needs to be replaced over and over again. And people with sensitive skin, please proceed with caution. Returned back to Sephora and purchased a Sephora #56 Airbrush for $34.

on 7/7/2015 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

no no no! I have very oily skin and acne scars (also active acne). Since I have been using the BB I noticed that my foundation after a couple of hours started to look cakey and like separated from my skin... also, after applying foundation it feels like it never dries competely...dont know how to explain...Although at the beggining the application looks flawless I feel my face sticky all the time and after a couple hours mainly in my nose and forehead the foundation starts slipping so I end up having some patches without any foundation and others with a lot....hot mess! I thought it was caused by the primer...until I appied my foundation with my expert face brush and I realized the cause of all my problems was the beauty blender.... So now Im only using it for applying concealer and to erase any possible brush stroke ...Over all I don't find this so marvelous as many do...I have use the real Techniques sponge and i like it better,,,I guess that the flat side helps foundation really sink in my skin...definitely the BB is not worth the money...won't buy it again...i prefer the finish my real techniques expert face brush leaves.

on 8/24/2011 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've been using my Beautyblender for 7 or 8 months, during which time I've gone back and forth on how well I like it. But I've settled down to liking it very much, despite the ridiculous price.

I have very oily, acne-prone skin that is very uneven in color and texture. Consequently, foundation has always been important to me, and I usually prefer medium to heavy coverage. With the Beautyblender, I can apply enough foundation to even up my skin tone and cover most red spots while at the same time looking almost like I'm not wearing makeup. The coverage it provides manages to be both opaque and airy. I've never achieved anything like it before, even with other sponges such as the very dense wedges.

I'm currently using foundation that comes in a tube. I squeeze a light amount over the palm of my hand, spreading it out thinly. Then I wet the BB, squeeze out the excess water, and sort of roll it around in the foundation. Not all around; maybe 1/3 of the way. Then I roll it around on my face. If I want a bit more coverage, I dab the BB on my face. Unlike some other reviewers, I have never had a problem using the tip underneath my eyes. It works very well.

WASHING. This is a problem. The BB will pick up some color from your makeup, and bleed pink dye. There's nothing you can do about that. But I've discovered the best way of cleaning it: put some oil-free eye makeup remover (the cheap ones work as well as the pricey ones) on both sides of a cotton ball and press it against the stained areas of the BB. You can squeeze the sponge to extract as much makeup as you can. When you've picked up as much as you can with both sides of the ball, put some cleanser that is good at removing makeup (I love Clean & Clear's Makeup Dissolving Cleanser, but it's been discontinued) on the BB, run some water over it, and squeeze. Make sure to get all the cleanser out and let it air dry, which it will do pretty quickly. You must do this after EACH use, or the makeup will build up on the sponge and it will eventually become unusable.

I've given this product a 4-lippie rating because, while it works amazingly well, the price is ridiculous. I bought the 2-pack in an attempt to save money, but the sponge has held up so well that I don't know when, if ever, I'll get to use the other one.

on 5/14/2016 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

I finally decided to give in to the hype and buy the Beauty Blender, out of sheer boredom more than anything. I've never had problems applying my foundation with brushes, but I wondered if this would be somehow better. It wasn't. After dampening the BB, I set about to using my normal foundation Estee Lauder Double Wear...and found that the sponge made it drop from full coverage to medium coverage. Now I understand that some people want a more natural look...but if that's the case, you should invest in a lighter coverage foundation! I was pissed off after using this on half my face--I wear EL because I WANT full coverage. So I ended up washing my face and redoing it with my regular Real Techniques brush. All in all, this product was not for me. Also, application took a lot longer with this than it did with a regular brush.

on 8/15/2014 4:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I'm sorry, but this is FIRST time a MUA top pick disappointed me! I can't believe I paid top $$ for this sponge. I've used stipplied it slightly damp as described by many of the reviewers here, on powder foundation, liquid foundation and liquid concealer. There's so much product wastage, and the resulting coverage was so poor! Only concealer seems to apply OK (and not fantastic). I will NOT re-buy.

Returning to my Sigma F82 brush for foundation application..

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I am at a loss with the rave reviews for this too. Prior to this one I used the makeup wedges from Walmart which I was pretty happy with. I read the review for this and HAD to get one. It was big, awkward, and didn't do any better job than my wedges from Walmart...and I felt like I was wasting so much product. I then got a foundation brush, I will never go back to sponges. Do yourself a favor and spend the money on a good brush and not this sponge!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just wanted to give a heads up to people who live in Canada. At my local London Drugs I found a near perfect dupe of the beauty blender. I was amazed. It is part of the "london look" line and in the aisle with all the brushes. It only cost me 9.99 and literally works and looks like the beauty blender. Waaaay better than the sonia one from target. I am going to go back and get more. I have intense fears of things disappearing from stores once I find something I love! LOL

on 11/8/2010 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I was soooo excited to purchase this beautyblender. I found that it was extremely useless. I honestly did nothing. I had better ease apply my liquid foundation with my fingers!! I am very saddened with this product. Wanted to love it, but fell short... by a long run.

on 10/13/2014 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

After reading all the rave reviews, I was hopeful and really wanted to like this product but I was super disappointed with the results. I had heard many reviews complain about the dye coming off and thought this issue would have been resolved by now, but no. Even wet, the sponge soaks up so much product. So much foundation wasted. Hard to clean. Expensive. Patchy application. Not worth the money!

on 2/15/2014 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had such high expectations for this product after seeing all the YouTube-clips and reading the good reviews, so when I finally purchased the product, I got really disappointed. I really did not notice any difference to other sponges. At least for me it did not work at all. I will therefore keep using a brush ;) only way to get a beautiful base!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools