beautyblender the sponge

Filtered by skin type : Normal
beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.5

I hate to be the negetive one but for the very few of you ladies who gave this product a bad review- yes you were right! I am shocked that at this very moment only 11% of us said we would not buy this again because in all honesty this product did NOT deliver.I immediatly ordered 2 of these kits being that it was proclaimed a "holy grail" product and i am so angry- total waste of money!
First off, i want to say i have read every single review on this board as well as about 100 posts on qvc about this product and even watched the tutorial many times. I have been a makeup artist for over 10 years so i consider myself to be an expert at make-up application. This sponge is a useless tool. Brushes are better, more sanitary and much cheaper.
I literally used 4 times more product because this sponge just sucked up and absorbed all of the concealer/foundation yet still leaving me with sheer coverage. Yes i used it wet and stippled by the way. With my concealer brush and just a tiny amount of concealer i am able to conceal ALL of my imperfections and dark circles. With beautyblender so much product was wasted and not enough coverage. I also tried this with cream blushes and it was horrible. I lightly dabbed the cream blush on and right away all the makeup i had underneth came off and i got uneven blotchy blush application. The ONLY thing this works well for is highlighters. I took the advice of someone who in their review of this product mentioned she used pigments with it and that it was amazing (or a word similar to amazing lol). Well while i wouldnt say it was amazing it was still beautiful. I dabbed the pigment on- it was actually a becca product similar to mac pigments. It was a light goldish highlighting color and the dampened sponge really did make a world of a difference. Only problem- i had to use a TON of product- this time about 10 times more lol. The effect was pretty but i cannot see myself spending $44 on one kit for just a highlighting tool- not to mention the amount of product i would waste (being that these becca products are expensive and they are the only powders i use).
Last i want to stress the most important concern that i have which i am shocked no one here has mentioned.....BACTERIA!!!! I wash this everytime of course but my problem is this: dipping a damp/wet sponge into my pots and jars of cream blushes will eventually cause contamination and breaking down of the product. Cream blushes such as nars, bobbi brown, etc are not meant for wet sponges to be dipped into them and this moisture/water in my opinion will change the product. I would have appreciated a tool that could work dry because i don't want to ruin my expensive blushes by contamintating them.
Packaging is horrible and highly unintelligent. I watched the tutorial where they showed you "how to remove it" which alone states how ridiculious this is. The sponge is housed in a cacoon of very sharp plastic points that looks like it is nestled in a claw. I followed the directions and pushed it from down under so that it would'nt tear but i still had tears in all 4 of my sponges due to the sharp plastic points that were jabbed into it while packaged. Why make a product that a) will tear very easilly due to it being housed in sharp hard plastic and b) needs a tutorial to watch on how to remove it. Talk about issues. If the creators were smart they would have invented something packaged nicely yet non-damaging.
I really think this is a novelty item that is all hype and if anything just makes you feel good to be part of this trend. I am not trying to insult anyone who praises this because in all honesty- i wanted to be part of this trend too lol. I just need something that gives me coverage without wasting product and as far as i am concerned this is equivilent to all the other cheap dollar store sponges out there only it's pink and pretty!

on 1/9/2008 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I first tried this product 1 1/2 years ago & gave it a negative review after trying it for a week. And I returned the sponge. Now, a year & a half later, I decided to buy it again & take another stab at it. Hopefully I can help someone w/this new, revised review.

When I originally tried the sponge it didn't work even tho I followed the prep. directions perfectly. Soaked it w/water, then squeezed water out & squeezed it again w/a towel. That dried the sponge too much, so it absorbed the foundation instantly & it was virtually unusable. I had to use a ton of foundation & even then I ended up w/super sheer coverage because the gallons of foundation had soaked into the sponge.

NOW, however, I decided to skip the towel - just squeezing the water out with my hand & going right to the foundation. VICTORY!

I think this is a very counter-intuitive thing, which is why I didn't figure it out originally. I figured that moisture in the sponge would dilute the foundation & end up providing too sheer coverage. Wrong! Actually, when there is some moisture in the sponge (don't use a towel!) the sponge cannot absorb as much foundation - because its little sponge cells are full of water! So by leaving my sponge a bit moist, I was able to use it properly because it didn't absorb nearly as much foundation. AND, the added moisture makes it possible to move the foundation around.

I'm delighted that I got back on the horse & tried this again. Wish I hadn't waited a year & a half, but hey . . . took me that long to get interested again & come up with a revised method of use.

Also, after using it for foundation, I gently tapped the pointed end into my Bobbi Brown concealer & patted it under each eye. Heaven. Looks even better than when I use my BB concealer brush, which I love. I'm glad I can take away my neg. review & give this gem the 5 lippies it has earned.

on 11/20/2007 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I hate to ruin the great reviews, but I was just not a fan of this hot-pink egg. I find the shape awkward and the price just ridiculous for what you get. Though the sponge itself is nice and dense, I think Bobbi Brown wedges are of the same quality and you get an eight-pack for $5.50.

Part of my dislike is the clean freak in me, as you need to wash this sponge after each use or it sits there looking disgusting and breeding who-knows-what germs. It also takes a long time to rinse, in my experience. That being said, I absolutely love the Beautyblender cleanser to use with regular brushes. It give a nice deep clean and rinses well.

I gave it two lippies because the sponge does do it's job. But bottom line, the Beautyblender is *just* a sponge! The Web site instructs you to use a stippling technique, and you can do that with any wedge or foundation brush to get that airbrushed look. I just swapped it away and will stick to using BB wedges or the Mac 187 for applying foundation. continued >>

just goes to show you how even a pro makeup artist like myself can be duped. i bought a twin pack, thinking because of the rave reviews i would be onto a winner. i mean, why waste money on just one when sooo many people love it?

its just a sponge, and not a very fine one at that, compared to the 'latex' type wedges. if you inspect the application in a MAGNIFYING mirror (a girls BFF) and not simply your regular mirror, you should be able to see teeny specks of pink all over your face. not only that, the finished result really isnt that great, i had to go over it with a latex wedge to get the result i need

this guests worse with every use/wash. and i think the dispensing method could be a lot simpler for the wash fluid. whats with the little dish thing, when a spout would do?

and then theres the colour loss, despite following cleansing instructions carefully and to the letter

and its laborious to use, bouncing up and down on your face

and the narrow end really isnt that narrow for 'getting into tight spots', especially when its damp. its general too big all round

so, im sticking to my foundation brushes for apply, and wedge sponges for finishing

its not even a nice pink colour, and it discolours al most immediate

and they want 100+ for a pro-pack of disposables? get outta here

so, the 2nd sponge sits as yet unused...

beauty? no. blender? no. no it my pro kit, and not in my own makeup kit

EDIT, a quick glance over the reviews tells me that pro artists are the ones who dont rate this. not just here, elsewhere on the net. says it all really

on 6/30/2013 4:58:00 PM

All of you having trouble cleaning your beautyblender sponge; are you wetting it before using it??? What makes this sponge stand out from all the others is that you thoroughly soak it first, then squeeze it out (I was told to also squeeze it in a towel) it doesn't absorb make up like others do and I find it cleans easily. I have used mine with liquid and cream make up and no problem getting makeup off. I rinse it immediately after use and if the makeup doesn't all come off I use a little bit of baby shampoo or whatever I use for face washing. I have had mine for 3 months, use daily and it only has a very light discoloration.

I keep reading about people using this sponge dry; the most important thing about the sponge it is suppose to be wet first, it grows in size and wetting it keeps it from soaking up all the makeup.

on 1/12/2013 4:26:00 PM

I love this! I finally found the best thing to put on my bare minerals and my other makeup as well! I have been using bare minerals for at least 15 years (I am 59) and finally a way to put it on that eliminates fall-out and minerals wasted all over the sink. The first time I put it on I only did my foundation and I was stunned at the smooth air-brushed look. This morning I tried it to put on my eyeshadow, and even though I wear a dark color in my crease (soul sister) it still came out terrific. I also used it today to put on a powdered blush, a powdered bronzer, and concealer. I bought the pack with 2 and the cleanser. Today I ended up using both of them, as I used the pointy end of one for my concealer around my nose and eyes, and the other one I used the pointy end for my bare minerals shadow. What a joy to clean with the cleanser. Amazing that after all these years of using makeup I found a new tool. I am so pleased. Thanks to all of you, or without reading the reviews, I never would have even heard of it. Try using it for your mineral makeup! Less waste and a beautiful look.

on 7/11/2017 3:38:00 PM

Flat sponges are better and cheaper. The beauty blender absorbs too much product and the results are not worthy of the praise I've been hearing about. You are better off using a flat sponge, shiseido foundation brush or your fingers. This silly cheapo sponge is ridiculous. It is worth $2 at most. It's funny how all the people who gave BB 5 lippies describe their method of application in such a way that it sounds exhausting as well as inconvenient. C'mon. People are trying too hard to make this silly thing work. The company is really having a good laugh.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

There will always be controversy over this because of the price; a lot of people cannot rationalize spending $20+ on a sponge, and I definitely sympathize with that line of thinking, but this is one of those times I had to just swallow hard and bite the bullet.

After all, we have no problem spending that kind of money on a makeup brush, or a lipstick, and those might not even get as much daily use as this does. I am not sure how well these hold up on a long-term basis; I have had mine for about a month and it is still in perfect condition. Before this I was using the NYX blender which is cheaper and I can recommend to you, but this blender is a bit softer and bouncier.

If you're looking for the ultimate makeup tool that will simplify your routine and take foundation/concealer/contour application to the next level, this is the final frontier. I can't even tell you how much better and smoother everything looks since I threw this in the mix. I even use this to pick up powder and "bake" my undereye, forehead and Cupid's bow areas. It goes without saying, if you want the most bang for your buck, this must be used dampened.

So, that's that. I spent $20 on a freaking sponge and it was maybe the best beauty decision I've made in a decade. It's one of those things you really have to just experience for yourself, but it gets my vote.

on 6/28/2016 11:50:00 PM

It amazes me that many people do not know that you're supposed to wet the beauty blender then squeeze it out. I put a small amount of foundation on the back of my hand and pick up a bit on the sponge. Then starting at the middle of my face I sort of bounce the foundation on my face. Then I go back and add more foundation to spots that need moved coverage. I even use the beauty blender to blend my concealer. The beauty blender enables me to get a streak free finish and use less foundation. I find that my makeup look very natural and lasts longer.

on 4/10/2018 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Nice, but too expensive for what it is. I bought two, used both up, and am not buying this again. Lots of dupes out there, but not all of them are as good as this. For example, L’Oréal has a sponge and it performs just as well in terms of makeup application, but it tears so easily. I switched to using those wedges after watching pony effect and it absorbs less product and spreads it out nicely for a quarter of the price plus you don’t have to wet wedges.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools