beautyblender the sponge

Filtered by age: 56 & Over
beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.6

This is by far the best blender for a flawless airbrushed finish. I have tried other cheaper alternatives but the did not 'cut the mustard'.

on 7/30/2016 12:33:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I tried a dupe first and it was very hard and did not work for me even after wetting it. After having a salesperson use one when applying a bb cream, I decided to purchase one. I am glad that I did. I now prefer it to brushes, even when applying a powder blush. As far as cleaning it, I found that washing it with a gentle cleanser and thoroughly rinsing it, did not remove the makeup. I now swipe it on a makeup remover towelette until it no longer leaves a streak, than I wash it and let it air dry. That may shorten the lifetime but it works and I will repurchase when it wears out. I am all for saving money but am willing to spend more on products that work better for me.

on 6/28/2016 11:50:00 PM

It amazes me that many people do not know that you're supposed to wet the beauty blender then squeeze it out. I put a small amount of foundation on the back of my hand and pick up a bit on the sponge. Then starting at the middle of my face I sort of bounce the foundation on my face. Then I go back and add more foundation to spots that need moved coverage. I even use the beauty blender to blend my concealer. The beauty blender enables me to get a streak free finish and use less foundation. I find that my makeup look very natural and lasts longer.

on 1/18/2016 8:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Honestly, I REALLY wish MUA had "Maybe" as a choice if purchasing again. I really AM on the fence with Beauty Blender.

First the good. This sponge does a remarkable job in blending foundation. Better than brushes and in most cases better than fingers. On my "mature" skin, it's all about the blend.

Next, the not-so-good: For the price point, I think this is way overpriced. I will spend quite a bit of money on great products, but for the wear and tear this little sponge goes through, it IS rather pricey.
When I first purchased, I had to wash it seeming forever because pink dye kept running. I don't want that on my face.
It gets dirty quickly. I have to wash it every day--perhaps it is the OCD in me, but the soap that came with this sponge is wearing down quickly and I'm going to try to find a DIY cleaning solution for this.
The life of the sponge isn't really that long. I purchased in the fall. It has tears already. I think it may be from my fingernails digging into it when I'm washing it.
The soap that coordinates with Beauty Blender also has a slight lavender scent. If you are allergic to lavender beware. I'm allergic and have to wash it a second time with regular soap to get the lavender scent out of it. Just a heads up!

I really am on the fence with this. While it blends beautifully, I'm sure there is a dupe out there for less money that may be stronger and work just as well. Depending on how long this sponge lasts before falling apart totally, I'm really unsure if I will re-purchase. I ended up saying "no"--but I'm truly unsure.

on 1/19/2015 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Received as gift after a friend learned I was exploring "dupes". The sponge is wonderful and I really like it. HOWEVER, there are dupes that work just as well for me. As much as I like the beauty blender, I think I prefer the Real Techniques. I'm 70 with fair skin so really good foundation application is a must. Gotta hide those wrinkles and pigmentations without looking made-up. Right, senior ladies?

on 5/7/2014 6:41:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

It's way over priced, but it is really good. Sadly, the dupes are too hard and not absorbent enough.. The whole point, is the way it puffs up and is soft it is. Then you squeeze out as much water as you can, so it's barely damp. If it's too wet or you put toomuch foundation on at once, it can end up looking patchy Dupes seem to feel too wet and too hard. I like this for thick creams and bbs that need thinning out. You just lightly dab, so hopefully I am not rubbing too much sunscreen off, nor am I rubbing my dry skin too much. Kabuki brushes also apply a nice thin layer too, but they feel harsher on the skin. Some bbs are cream fdns are so thick, I had to rub them on the back of my hand to soften them up, before applying. I don't have to do that with this. This works fast too. I like using thicker, full coverage cream foundations, but sheering them a bit. I don't know how this work with a thin liquid. Nor sure if this works as well with thin, sheerer liquid foundations. If your foundation dries too fast this will help. Fingers do work great and damp fingers (holding this keeps them just a little damp) sometimes work best. I often apply foundation with my fingers to the face (as there is less waste) and rub it in. Then I use this to buff it a little bit. This is expensive and not needed, but if I could only have one tool for applying liquid foundation, it be this.

on 6/30/2013 4:58:00 PM

All of you having trouble cleaning your beautyblender sponge; are you wetting it before using it??? What makes this sponge stand out from all the others is that you thoroughly soak it first, then squeeze it out (I was told to also squeeze it in a towel) it doesn't absorb make up like others do and I find it cleans easily. I have used mine with liquid and cream make up and no problem getting makeup off. I rinse it immediately after use and if the makeup doesn't all come off I use a little bit of baby shampoo or whatever I use for face washing. I have had mine for 3 months, use daily and it only has a very light discoloration.

I keep reading about people using this sponge dry; the most important thing about the sponge it is suppose to be wet first, it grows in size and wetting it keeps it from soaking up all the makeup.

on 4/24/2013 9:33:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I purchased knock offs of the beauty blender and let me tell you I was so surprised....and happily! I have tried for years to get the perfect application of makeup and this is by far the best. It beats brushes and fingers and the little sponges that I use once and toss away. Talk about a flawless finish and looking like I had nothing on! It cleaned up nicely too. I plan on purchasing more and telling everyone I know about it.....

on 4/8/2013 10:28:00 PM

So many make up artists raved about the Beauty Blender that I decided to try it. So, I paid what I consider to be an outrageous amount of money for a sponge, ordering it from Sephora. At first I did not like it at all and it sat in my cabinet after the first time I tried to use it. Then, I decided to give it another try and voila! I actually realized what the fuss was all about. It definitely makes my foundation go on with a nice air brushed look. It also ultimately helps my make up from looking too powdery once I am done. I would recommend it but think it is an acquired taste and one has to work with it to appreciate it. Good luck!

on 4/5/2013 1:21:00 PM

Wow, the negative reviews are seriously negative! This has been such an HG product for me that I actually swapped the foundation brush I used to use and now use this exclusively. HOWEVER: YMMV if you don't want a very sheer foundation application.

I am nearly 60 and have basically very good skin for my age so sheer foundation is the only option that makes sense for me. Anything else will look hard and sink into all the little (and not so little) lines.

I never, ever dip the sponge right into product. I mix a bit of cream foundation (LM Creme Smooth) with pump of moisturizer (Bobbi Brown face lotion), rub my fingers together, wipe some on cheeks, forehead, and chin (nose gets foundation stick) and then I blend lightly with the blender, which I have wet under the faucet and squeezed as much as possible in advance. I have a little egg cup that it rests on. My foundation looks wonderful and very even; and since my skin is dry-ish it does last.

I wash the sponge immediately with the cleaner that I initially thought was a rip-off but actually works very well and you don't need much.

I've never had a problem with the color coming off, or any reactions or break-outs.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools