beautyblender the sponge

Filtered by eye Color : Brown age: 44-55
beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

I'd heard raves about this new foam make-up applicator and blender. After trying it myself, I know why people love this "pink egg". Not only is it the cutest beauty tool I own, it works wonderfully also. Unlike other foam make-up sponges, the Beauty Blender's egg shape makes it perfect for the whole face. The pointed end gets into small spaces such as under the eyes and around the nose. The sides and bottom of the Beauty Blender work on the larger areas of the face. You can use this with any type of make-up product from liquid foundations to powdered products. It blends foundations perfectly and seamlessly as well as applying blushes and concealers. Used wet or dry the Beauty Blender just needs a gentle bouncing or twist across your face and features to work. It also doesn't soak up lots of precious make-up in the process. See http://www.beautyblender.net/ for more info.

on 3/24/2007 2:13:00 PM

This little beauty tool should be in everyone's makeup box! This is not like a flocked sponge or any other makeup sponge I've ever owned. For the record, I don't like makeup sponges, flocked, non-latex or otherwise. I usually much prefer a taklon foundation brush. However, the beauty blender truly applies cream and liquid foundations beautifully and flawlessly, and dare I say, much better than a foundation brush! I bought two for around $25 at Dermadoctor so price-wise it wasn't too bad. It did come all smushed in the package but I washed it and it was restored to it's perfect round shape. I bounced it around my face to stipple on my cream or liquid foundation. If you use twisting type motions, you can feather out the foundation. It gives you great control! Get one, you'll love it! Definitely will repurchase!

on 9/11/2008 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Just received mine in the mail recently. I think my foundation brushes are going into retirement. It is idiot proof (perfect for me). My concealer and foundation go on easily and flawlessly. The pointed end gets into every nook and cranny on my face effortlessly.

The only negative thing for me is the price, but I love it nevertheless :-)

on 3/3/2010 7:04:00 PM

These work great. I like it better than a foundation brush. I dampen it slightly and wring it out. I dot the foundation on my face with my finger and then stipple with the sponge. I find that this method works best because if you dip a brush or sponge into the foundation it absorbs too much. I very lightly go over my face with the Sonia Kashuk highlighting brush( Mac 187 dupe) for a nice airbrushed look. I wash it after each usage with either the cleanser, soap or just hot water.

on 9/14/2010 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

UPDATE: Feb 2011 Right after I wrote this review, I began using the sponge more on its side, using more of the pointy end, rather than at the very bottom fat part. I like it even better this way. I still don't find using the very top point all that useful though. It seems like if I need to touch up something that tiny, then a small brush works best. I'm still very much in love with this tool. It makes applying flawless foundation so quick!

I still find it most useful for use with liquid foundation. That being said; I do own Boots #7 mousse foundation, (which is awesome) and the BB makes a nice application, but it does not fit down into the jar opening, and probably picks up (wastes) more than dipping in a fd brush or using fingers. It also does not speed up the application process of mousse. However, the finished look is great, and probably helps guard about having a too heavy appearance, which can happen pretty easily with the mousse.

Bottom line, for speed, ease of application, and finished results, it, for me, is still most useful for liquid foundation., I did not think it useful at all for stick foundation (shiseido) and do not own any cream fd to try it with.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Love this! It makes applying liquid foundation so quick! Its virtually foolproof so long as the sponge is damp for use. My makeup looks seamless with so little effort. Plus, it makes the product go a lot further than a brush or even fingers. I've become smitten with Guerlain's Lingerie De Peau, and one depression of the pump onto the back of my hand does my entire face with this sponge. I start out by putting concealer under my eyes (Cle de Peau), then dip the larger end of the sponge in the little puddle of foundation which I've squirted on the back of my other hand., and just bounce it everywhere quickly. Under my eyes I do go over the concealer with the sponge, but don't concentrate on the area. I rarely use the pointed end of the egg

I've tried rubbing the pointed end onto the concealer stick, and applying it to my under eye area, but that does not seem to give any better results than just patting the concealer on with my finger first.

I did use this a couple of times with Shiseido's stick foundation, and it can be done, but it takes a lot longer. Maybe I was not doing it right, but it seemed to defeat the purpose of stick foundation.

I have not tried the Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge, mainly due to reading several reviews saying how much extra product the sponge absorbs. It did not seem to be a cost savings to me to buy a less expensive sponge, if it was going to make me go through my foundation faster.

As others have said, the cleanser is ridiculously expensive. and the sponge needs to be clean or it doesn't work correctly. I like the way the cleanser smells, and the convenience of the dispenser bottle, but, when this bottle runs out, I plan to try Neutrogena One Step Gentle facial cleanser (as per another poster's suggestion) or some sort of more reasonably priced product to wash it with.

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

I'm definitely digging it!

on 6/26/2011 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I bought a pack of 2 just to see what the hype is all about. Yes, it does a good job of putting on liquid or cream fdn using a stamping motion on the skin. I find I can do the same with other latex sponge of various shapes using the same stamping motion. The Beautyblender is a denser sponge as compared to other latex sponge. The tip does not work for the inner corner of the eyes and the bag area no matter what, it just doesn't get there, a concealer brush does a much much better job.
For the crazy price Beautyblender charge, it is totally not worth it.

on 11/12/2011 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I came across this sponge here on makeupalley and found one on Ebay. Am I glad that I purchased this little gem! Like other reviewers, I was initially skeptical about an egg shaped sponge. I watched the video on proper use on the beautyblender website (www.beautyblender.net). But, after my first use, I was sold. I used a cream foundation to try this out (a very tricky to apply Siganture Club A 8 Butters Creamery Foundation and Concealer) and the application was flawless, seamless and best of all, quick. I found that I was able to quickly stipple both the concealer and the foundation. I even used the sponge to stipple on the Signature Club A Jet Tech Aloe Puffed Powder (a pressed powder) to set it all. The results were simply beautiful. I had not been able to successfully use this foundation to my liking (even though a stippling brush produced acceptable results - it took too long to apply evenly) and every other sponge that I tried was very difficult to maneuver, even using the sponges damp. But, with the beautyblender, the application was so much easier and my foundation did not looked caked on, dry or cracked. My pores disappeared, the look was clean, flawless yet polished. An airbrushed finish by the time I was done. I quickly tried this beautyblender sponge with other liquid foundations that I had lying around such as Ready To Wear Liquid Lift and another Ready to Wear cream foundation and the results were the same. Flawless, airbrushed, clean yet polished. If you're looking for a better foundation application, definitely give this sponge a look. If you've got foundations lying around that you don't use, resurrect them and try them with this sponge. You may just fall in love with those foundations again. Definitely will continue to use and repurchase if sponge wears out eventually.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Living in Canada, I'd never seen one of these available retail and then I was at the check out at Sephora, where they have all that stuff to tempt you while you wait and THERE IT WAS!!!

Like a lot of women, I'm obsessed with getting foundation coverage that hides my skin imperfections, but also looks natural and even. So I have a lot of brushes, some pricey and some cheap, some good and some not so good (and price isn't necessarily an indicator of how good a brush will be - the Real Techniques brushes are among the best I've ever tried). I've rated the Beautyblender a "3" for price because I'm comparing it to brushes I've purchased and compared to some of those, the price isn't all that bad, though for a "sponge", it may seem a bit high.

Mine came in a plastic case with absolute NO instructions but I've known about this sponge for so long and seen it used so figuring it out wasn't a big deal. The results with this sponge, though, are amazing. I dot my foundation around my face and sort of "roll" it into my skin with this sponge dampened and squeezed out well. The end effect is the look of perfect skin, rather than the look of really nice foundation! No other sponges I've tried - wedges, round sponges from MAC and even natural sea sponges - reliably give such a flawless effect. I am concerned to read that other MUAers have had their rip and fall apart - at these prices, this baby should last a few years, in my opinion. I'll endeavor to be gentle when cleaning this and using it generally but I am very, very pleased and wouldn't hesitate to repurchase.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow..I heard about this and thought I would give it a try...it has been weeks and the amount of pink dye coming out is alarming...I don't know why it is pink to begin with..I enjoy organic products for the most part, this seems pretty toxic to use on my skin

Popular Misc Beauty Tools