beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

3.5

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Well, I seem to be definitely in the minority here......read the glowing reviews and decided to purchase this product - although it's ridiculous to spend so much $$$ on a sponge - but hey, if it will make my makeup look fabulous thought it would be worth it.

This sponge did NOTHING for me....my makeup looks much better when applied with my fingers or a simple CVS sponge.

What a waste!

on 6/26/2011 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I bought a pack of 2 just to see what the hype is all about. Yes, it does a good job of putting on liquid or cream fdn using a stamping motion on the skin. I find I can do the same with other latex sponge of various shapes using the same stamping motion. The Beautyblender is a denser sponge as compared to other latex sponge. The tip does not work for the inner corner of the eyes and the bag area no matter what, it just doesn't get there, a concealer brush does a much much better job.
For the crazy price Beautyblender charge, it is totally not worth it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Living in Canada, I'd never seen one of these available retail and then I was at the check out at Sephora, where they have all that stuff to tempt you while you wait and THERE IT WAS!!!

Like a lot of women, I'm obsessed with getting foundation coverage that hides my skin imperfections, but also looks natural and even. So I have a lot of brushes, some pricey and some cheap, some good and some not so good (and price isn't necessarily an indicator of how good a brush will be - the Real Techniques brushes are among the best I've ever tried). I've rated the Beautyblender a "3" for price because I'm comparing it to brushes I've purchased and compared to some of those, the price isn't all that bad, though for a "sponge", it may seem a bit high.

Mine came in a plastic case with absolute NO instructions but I've known about this sponge for so long and seen it used so figuring it out wasn't a big deal. The results with this sponge, though, are amazing. I dot my foundation around my face and sort of "roll" it into my skin with this sponge dampened and squeezed out well. The end effect is the look of perfect skin, rather than the look of really nice foundation! No other sponges I've tried - wedges, round sponges from MAC and even natural sea sponges - reliably give such a flawless effect. I am concerned to read that other MUAers have had their rip and fall apart - at these prices, this baby should last a few years, in my opinion. I'll endeavor to be gentle when cleaning this and using it generally but I am very, very pleased and wouldn't hesitate to repurchase.

on 3/23/2013 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This does make my foundation go on smooth and gives an airbrushed quality, but it needs to be a little damp to do that. And if it's damp, it ends up giving me a matte look, which is no good on my dry skin. If I use it dry, it soaks up too much foundation, so I've been using it to buff down my makeup after I apply it with a brush or fingertips. I still think it's a good product, but I wish it were easier to get a dewey look.

on 8/26/2013 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I love this sponge and I'm sooooo glad I got it on sale for 12.00 with free shipping. Once I learned how to use it with a kinda bounce and roll motion my makeup (liquid foundation, concealer and TM specifically) looked sooo much better, it was even and smooth and well....better! It is delicate however and after only having it for less than a week I noticed a tiny tear in it; and I have short nails. So now what I do is when I wet it, I squeeze it between the palms of my hand and then again with a towel. The BB is really soft and smooth on my skin. Oh I almost forgot to mention that I did NOT dip the sponge in my foundation, I dotted foundation on my face first then used the sponge. I hope when I need a new one I can luck up on a sale again.

on 4/25/2014 2:09:00 PM

my daughter picked this up for my birthday and this is the best thing for blending my cream blush. it looks natural and lasts all day

on 7/10/2014 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Based on the hype, I caved in and bought this (and who can resist the pink color?). Overall, it's a fine sponge and does the job nicely. But, it's nothing specatular. I mean, it's just a sponge!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I've had this sponge for about a year and I've used it many different ways in order to be able to write a comprehensive review on the product. I always begin with a clean sponge that has been soaked in clean water and wrung out but still damp. If I put liquid foundation on my hand and use the large end of the sponge to pick up product to apply to my face, it wastes foundation. It is also hard to clean all the excess foundation the sponge has soaked up. The best way to use the sponge for foundation application is to spread or dot the foundation around the face, then use the sponge to blend. I prefer using the larger side first, then I use the smaller end to blend around my nose, eyes, etc. Let the bounciness of the sponge help blend the foundation for you--don't rub too much with the sponge. The dampness of the sponge leaves your skin with a dewy finish. Another way I like to use this blender is to apply my liquid or cream foundation with my fingers, then use the damp sponge in a dotting motion to set it, leaving it with a dewy, fresh look. After use, I let the sponge dry until I get ready to use it the next time, then I wash it. The best cleanser for the sponge is liquid hand soap or diluted Dr. Bronner's castile soap. Make sure to rinse, rinse and rinse again as this baby sucks up a lot of soap.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I started using this with my foundation exactly 2 months ago. Can't live without it now. Will repurchase although I have a BIG issue with it.
I've used it for only 7 weeks (once daily) and already there's mold on it. Before one says I've not managed it properly, let me say,
@I clean it after EVERY USE with the original BB soap
@I let is stand on its side, vertically, perched on top of its container in my airy vanity top, so it stores/dries properly - never inside a containers or enclosed where mold can grow.
Yet, small patches of mold appear, and only after less than 2 months of usage. I'm devastated as I really love using this for foundation. At a per use rate for less than 60 days, it is very very expensive.
Updated 19July2016:
I snipped off the tiny black specks on the sides of my BB with a pair of small scissors (the top and pointed ends are not affected/disfigured). I now put it in my bedroom (instead of my bathroom shelf) to dry. So, all's good. As I said, this is really a wonderful makeup tool despite all.

on 7/19/2016 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really like this product but feel some of the knock off/other versions are just as good. As much as I like it, I won't replace it for $20 once it dies. The Real Techniques are fabulous and 1/5 the cost, and there are other versions on Amazon and in drugstores that perform the same in my experience. So, as much as I enjoy the product, I feel a little ripped off by the price tag, given that competitors do the SAME job.

That said, it does perform well. I use it with BB creams, tinted moisturizer, concealer, loose powder - it does a lovely job.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools