beautyblender the sponge

4.3

on 2/27/2018 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

If you love the flawless finish a sponge gives, yes this is a good one. I am giving it 2 lippies because the price is ridiculous and they are hit or miss, some hold up better than others, even though I wash them all the same way. Also because there are others that are much cheaper that work just as well if not better.
I use a sponge about 95% of the time. I don't need super heavy coverage and I like the natural look I get with the sponges. Others that I use that I like just as well that are comparable are Real Techniques Miracle Sponge, Flower Beauty 3 in 1, & L'Oreal Infallible Blend Artist. I also love the PUR sponges but they aren't as soft as Beauty Blender and the other 3, but I like the finish they give my foundations and they clean really easy.

I don't find they soak up a lot of foundation unless you don't dry them out enough. I dampen then squeeze with a towel.

on 1/19/2015 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I held off a long time before buying because $20 for a sponge??!! But I concede it does do a really good job HOWEVER, in the end my foundation looks exactly the same when I use my Shiseido foundation brush - and I will never have to replace that. It doesapply my concealer much better than my fingers or my brush though. What I don't like about this is that loads, and I mean loads, of pink dye comes off when it is washed. Clearly this stuff is coming off on my skin too. So I won't repurchase unless one is available without colour.

on 2/20/2014 3:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this sponge....works great! Makeup looks flawless! Which i would hadn't purchased it sooner! Kind of expensive...but worth it in the end....you won't be sorry!

on 10/28/2012 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

All of the previous reviews are spot-on. It does an AH MA ZING job delivering a flawless foundation finish, is a pain to clean, and spendy. But I love it. My only question is this: Does anyone have any comparison to make between this and the cheapy, wedge-shaped drugstore sponges? Curious!

just goes to show you how even a pro makeup artist like myself can be duped. i bought a twin pack, thinking because of the rave reviews i would be onto a winner. i mean, why waste money on just one when sooo many people love it?

its just a sponge, and not a very fine one at that, compared to the 'latex' type wedges. if you inspect the application in a MAGNIFYING mirror (a girls BFF) and not simply your regular mirror, you should be able to see teeny specks of pink all over your face. not only that, the finished result really isnt that great, i had to go over it with a latex wedge to get the result i need

this guests worse with every use/wash. and i think the dispensing method could be a lot simpler for the wash fluid. whats with the little dish thing, when a spout would do?

and then theres the colour loss, despite following cleansing instructions carefully and to the letter

and its laborious to use, bouncing up and down on your face

and the narrow end really isnt that narrow for 'getting into tight spots', especially when its damp. its general too big all round

so, im sticking to my foundation brushes for apply, and wedge sponges for finishing

its not even a nice pink colour, and it discolours al most immediate

and they want 100+ for a pro-pack of disposables? get outta here

so, the 2nd sponge sits as yet unused...

beauty? no. blender? no. no it my pro kit, and not in my own makeup kit

EDIT, a quick glance over the reviews tells me that pro artists are the ones who dont rate this. not just here, elsewhere on the net. says it all really

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

I'm definitely digging it!

on 11/15/2010 11:54:00 AM

When I first seen this on Sephora.com, I thought it was a gimmick product, then I thought they want how much for a sponge ? I researched it, & decided to try it. I am glad I did. I can really notice a difference after using it. My skin looks smooth, & I think I actually use less foundation. Which in the long run, makes up for the cost of the blender. The shape is really nice for blending in the corner of the eyes.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a wonderful little pink egg sponge full of joy!!! I adore this, it blends my MU beautifully for a flawless finish, I am finding I am using even less powder with this. Just do exactly what it tells you to do, wet it, squeeze it out in a paper towel and go to work. You will get a beautifully flawless finish. I us CG Advance Radiance and they give you a little cheap square sponge which I learned to use. NEVER again!!! This beauty will be in my MU aresenal from now on! Just remember to clean it, you can use your own gentle cleanser but as a friend of mine put it, I got the "egg cleaner".

on 1/9/2008 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I first tried this product 1 1/2 years ago & gave it a negative review after trying it for a week. And I returned the sponge. Now, a year & a half later, I decided to buy it again & take another stab at it. Hopefully I can help someone w/this new, revised review.

When I originally tried the sponge it didn't work even tho I followed the prep. directions perfectly. Soaked it w/water, then squeezed water out & squeezed it again w/a towel. That dried the sponge too much, so it absorbed the foundation instantly & it was virtually unusable. I had to use a ton of foundation & even then I ended up w/super sheer coverage because the gallons of foundation had soaked into the sponge.

NOW, however, I decided to skip the towel - just squeezing the water out with my hand & going right to the foundation. VICTORY!

I think this is a very counter-intuitive thing, which is why I didn't figure it out originally. I figured that moisture in the sponge would dilute the foundation & end up providing too sheer coverage. Wrong! Actually, when there is some moisture in the sponge (don't use a towel!) the sponge cannot absorb as much foundation - because its little sponge cells are full of water! So by leaving my sponge a bit moist, I was able to use it properly because it didn't absorb nearly as much foundation. AND, the added moisture makes it possible to move the foundation around.

I'm delighted that I got back on the horse & tried this again. Wish I hadn't waited a year & a half, but hey . . . took me that long to get interested again & come up with a revised method of use.

Also, after using it for foundation, I gently tapped the pointed end into my Bobbi Brown concealer & patted it under each eye. Heaven. Looks even better than when I use my BB concealer brush, which I love. I'm glad I can take away my neg. review & give this gem the 5 lippies it has earned.

on 5/6/2007 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This little baby goes to the top of my "Cosmetic Product Every MUAer Worth the Title Should Own". I was kicking myself for allowing myself to lemming this. Now I am so delighted to own it. I use it both dry and dampened, though prefer to use it dampened. I've used it on MMU (dry and dampened), liquid, pressed powder, and creme/gel (EL Re-Nutriv) and it works beautifully on all of them. When used dampened, the foundation goes on sheerly, but is easily layered as you go. A cinch to clean, I just use a bar of generic castile soap I keep in the bathroom, wet the sponge, run it over the bar of soap a couple of times, squish it, and rinse thoroughly.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools