beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.2

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

last year, i bought a knock off version of the beautyblender at H&M; it was ok, but I didn't get what all of the fuss was about. sometimes I'd use it, sometimes I'd forget, meh- whatever. eventually, as blenders do, it shat the bed. dampened, squeezed and it stayed a squeezed little mush ball. so I thought "well, maybe now I'll break down and buy the real one, see if it's really all that different", all the while thinking "it's a SPONGE, how different could it be?" with that thought in mind, I picked up another knock off (can't recall the brand - it was black and oddly shaped, kind of like a snowman). yeah, that one was GARBAGE. it smeared my foundation all over my face, not blending but COATING. now, having seen how much worse this blender was, I truly wondered if the real beautyblender was that much better. yesterday I was at Sephora, and there they were -a whole area of multi colored tiny little egg sponges! I couldn't resist - after several moments contemplation (was I a 'nude'? a 'pro'?) I decided on the original. I had plans for the evening, and I didn't leave myself enough time to take off and rebuild my face, so the blender would have to wait- until today. about 10 minutes ago. HOLY WOW. I totally get it now!! If you want to try a blender, but you're thinking $20 seems too pricey and how different could they REALLY be, the answer is "INCREDIBLY, NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENT!!" I used two tiny splorts of foundation, as this blender actually pressed it into my skin instead of just smearing it around. the point on the egg perfectly fit the crevases (sp?) of my face, and my foundation blended down seamlessly and perfectly. seriously - spend the extra few dollars. its SO worth it! my foundation looks perfect, and I can see it lasting far longer now, as I'm using so much less! just spend the money on the real thing - I'll never go without it again!

on 4/14/2018 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I resisted and resisted this stupid - looking "fad". After all, I had in the past (before cruelty was a concept) had cruel Chanel brushes. Boy were they good.

Older, weird hormones, super-oily, now some cheek flakes: yuk. Oh, I tried a super-awful knock-off. And more facial hair. I walked into an Ulta by my house and my friend-to-be who had just the right amount of pushiness to shut me up

because whatever I knew did not matter - I had a problem and I was not solving it.Leslie, my new friend got the IT! CC Cream (But it's not Chanel!) and an ORIGINAL BEAUTY BLENDER that she wet.

Like magic we were (SHE WAS) able to spring and bounce and toss that magical stupid pink thing so as to minimally or not at all disrupt or accentuate the weird flakiness and hairiness on my cheeks! The IT! Looked better than anything at the time, the water was more moisture - I got them both!

I would NOT trade that stupid pink beauty - blender for anything in this world (a different beauty tool). If you came back at me with amnesia and the cruelty Chanel foundation brush I would not even consider it.

THAT BEAUTY BLENDER IS A GENIUS TOOL. WHETHER BARBIE DEVELOPED IT OR A PETROCHEMICAL ENGINEER - I DO NOT CARE.

I have 2 now. I just ordered sale baby ones to use for undereye and eyelid application.

And I came up with the "Cadillac of all Foundations" on another review. I somehow eventually came to mix Koh-Gen-Do Maifashani Moisture Foundation (must be in the tube - no silicates. the aqua foundations - chock full of silicates") So I mix that with the IT CC! and a drop of Argan Oil* by Josie Maran, and the Beauty Blender. And I have never looked back.

Thank you. Soon I must start reviewing all the products I hate too. That is a civic responsibility as well and I sure appreciate it when others do it. I know it leads to lots of "thumbs down". That is not a deterrent. BTW for those thumb down people: If it is a worthless review SINK IT! I will add that I also see reviews (not so much here) that people sink merely because they are building a high in order to purchase a product and when that high gets pierced and they are let down I have seen at times a well defended bad review get sunk on that premise. If you find yourself there, don't do it. The truth is 100% the way to go ALL THE TIME. Again, attention-seeking pretend-critiques: blast-em. You should be able to discern between authentic and inauthentic.
*The drop or two of oil strategy is straight from Beauty-Brainiac Wayne Goss.

on 2/27/2018 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

If you love the flawless finish a sponge gives, yes this is a good one. I am giving it 2 lippies because the price is ridiculous and they are hit or miss, some hold up better than others, even though I wash them all the same way. Also because there are others that are much cheaper that work just as well if not better.
I use a sponge about 95% of the time. I don't need super heavy coverage and I like the natural look I get with the sponges. Others that I use that I like just as well that are comparable are Real Techniques Miracle Sponge, Flower Beauty 3 in 1, & L'Oreal Infallible Blend Artist. I also love the PUR sponges but they aren't as soft as Beauty Blender and the other 3, but I like the finish they give my foundations and they clean really easy.

I don't find they soak up a lot of foundation unless you don't dry them out enough. I dampen then squeeze with a towel.

on 2/27/2018 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Finally purchased this beauty blender, since it’s considered the original. I prefer my Real Technique blender over this overpriced sponge that tore apart after 3 days

These things are worth the money. At first, I was reluctant to pay $20.00 for a makeup sponge, so I bought one for less on Ebay. (I know it was the real thing because it came sealed in the original packaging.) Anyway, it really does have a unique texture which is remarkably different from the cheaper sponges I have tried. I saw a review for the original one on Beautypedia reviews and thought I would give it a shot. Now I won't apply foundation without it and I have tried different sizes. It looks tiny, but when wet, expands to twice its size. The moisture is key because that's what gives the sponge the bouncy texture that allows you to apply makeup in a fraction of the time. The sponge doesn't absorb much makeup, which means you use less and more of it ends up on your face. That fact alone would make it worth trying. The real reason to get one of these is because it will make your application flawless with very little effort. The shape makes it easy to blend in corners as well as on cheekbones and wider areas of the face. I recommend checking out Wayne Goss' Youtube channel to see a tutorial for natural foundation using a Beauty Blender. I have also tried the minis, which are ideal for applying cream blush or under eye concealer. As someone who generally dislikes applying makeup, I can say this appliance has made my life a lot easier. It will last a long time as long as you don't leave a damp one in your makeup bag for too long. I found out the hard way it is better to have two so you can allow one to air dry in between uses. Once, I was in a hurry and shoved them in my makeup bag while they were still damp. By the time I remembered, they had mold damage. Now I think you can never have too many of these. I highly recommend this product.

Hate to admit it but I would buy another one (despite the crazy price) if something happened to my current one.

I used other dupes before I bought this one but they absorbed more product and just couldn't live up to BB's performance standards. Even ditched my MAC and Sephora brushes for the BB

on 11/19/2016 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Until recently I have used the Pro (black) version of the BB and it is second choice to my Real Techniques sponge because it simply does a better job and is about 100 times easier to clean than the BB. With the pro version you can't see staining nearly as much as the original version and that is my number one complaint about this. No matter what technique I use to clean it nothing removes stains from this thing and I find it soaks up so much more product than the RT sponge as well. Maybe I got a dud but it also developed a tear after the first use which p*ssed me off to no end! Washing it resulted in a crap ton of pink dye rinsing out into my sink - WTF is that all about? No other sponge has done this. Seriously, I don't know what happened here but for the price I can't justify ever investing in another one of these sponges. I don't feel like the finish of my foundation is better using BB than using either the pro version or the RT sponge. And considering I can buy 4 RT sponges for the price of one BB...

I sincerely hope that anyone purchasing this very expensive sponge doesn't have any of the issues I spoke of. I know I am in the minority with my opinion about the original beauty blender and obviously I bought this hoping to have the great experience that many others had, but alas this was not the case. :(

on 7/19/2016 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really like this product but feel some of the knock off/other versions are just as good. As much as I like it, I won't replace it for $20 once it dies. The Real Techniques are fabulous and 1/5 the cost, and there are other versions on Amazon and in drugstores that perform the same in my experience. So, as much as I enjoy the product, I feel a little ripped off by the price tag, given that competitors do the SAME job.

That said, it does perform well. I use it with BB creams, tinted moisturizer, concealer, loose powder - it does a lovely job.

on 6/20/2016 6:34:00 PM

Ok, so I have super mixed feelings about this little sponge. I feel like it did give my face a nice finish with bb cream, concealer and cream blush. However - my face felt dry after a few hours. Like, REALLY dry. I layer several products before makeup in the morning - antioxidant serum, moisturizer, physical sunscreen. It's summer now, but in the cold months, there would also be a layer of oil. But using the beauty blender, I felt like I was slowly but surely blotting off everything, and my face felt very "bare" afterwards - I don't know how else to describe it. Maybe that's the point, because I often read reviews where women mention that various products "feel heavy". I don't really notice that anything feels heavy on my skin, and I use lots of rich moisturizing products - in fact I actually like to feel my products on my skin - it feels like they're doing their job then. Does that make sense?? I have super dry but acne prone skin, and after many years of trial and error, I've discovered my skin does best when it has a well fortified barrier. My last cleanse of the night always, always starts with oil - I've found the type of oil isn't as important as removing EVERYTHING from my face, and I may or may not cleanse again, depending on how dry I feel and whether or not I'm currently loading up on antiagers like Retin a or tazorac. Anyway, my point is that applying makeup with the beauty blender made me feel as though I was blotting off the protective layer I always try to have on my face. I'm actually happy about it, as it isn't exactly cheap, and I spent at least 4-5 minutes washing it afterwards, so I feel like I tried it & I'm glad, but I don't see myself using it, except maybe very occasionally, so I don't think I'll ever buy another one.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I started using this with my foundation exactly 2 months ago. Can't live without it now. Will repurchase although I have a BIG issue with it.
I've used it for only 7 weeks (once daily) and already there's mold on it. Before one says I've not managed it properly, let me say,
@I clean it after EVERY USE with the original BB soap
@I let is stand on its side, vertically, perched on top of its container in my airy vanity top, so it stores/dries properly - never inside a containers or enclosed where mold can grow.
Yet, small patches of mold appear, and only after less than 2 months of usage. I'm devastated as I really love using this for foundation. At a per use rate for less than 60 days, it is very very expensive.
Updated 19July2016:
I snipped off the tiny black specks on the sides of my BB with a pair of small scissors (the top and pointed ends are not affected/disfigured). I now put it in my bedroom (instead of my bathroom shelf) to dry. So, all's good. As I said, this is really a wonderful makeup tool despite all.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools