beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.5

on 11/29/2007 8:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've been using the beautyblender sponge every day for a couple of weeks now, and thus far, I've decided that it works best with denser, heavily pigmented foundations like Kevyn Aucoin's SSE. I've used it with various foundations. VL Liquid Canvas Dew, GA LSF, Shiseido The Makeup Cream, LM Silk Creme, and others I'm blanking on at the moment. IMHO, it works best (dampened like the instructions suggest) with KA SSE and not as wonderfully with some of the less dense ones. I think with other lighter, liquid foundations, it absorbs more product than I'd like. I'm glad I got it because it helps the KA SSE go on beautifully. I tried the KA SSE without the beautyblender a couple of times and couldn't get the same natural-looking results. I think it would work well to blend concealer, too, but I haven't tried that yet. I've never had any luck at all with makeup sponges (I use brushes or fingers), but the beautyblender has made a difference with my applicaiton of KA's SSE. If you use denser, cream foundations, I'd highly suggest getting it. If you only use lighter, liquid foundations, I don't think (at this point in my experimentation) it would be worth it.

on 1/26/2008 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am a sucker for beauty gadgets, always looking for that new product that will be the HG. So to treat myself, I bought the two pack together with the cleanser.

I like the beautyblender but I think I'm less impressed with it because I was already really good at applying foundation with my fingers. That said, this has provided the best coverage that I have ever gotten from a tool, hands down. Foundation brushes are terrible and latex sponges don't do much better. So it's either this or my fingers. The benefit to this is that it may be faster and less messy than using my hands. I'm still working on the technique - it's not difficult but the more you play with it, the better you become at achieving "special effects". I have yet to master the "stipple and swirl" to cover up those pesky blemishes.

Over all a good product. I can see where it would become a consistent part of someone's kit and can certainly help those people who've not had "professional" make-up application down to an art (the symptom of all beauty junkies!) - it makes foundation a no brainer.

EDIT: I have found that, when washing the blender, it works better to get it soapy before getting it wet. I wash it with the blender cleanser. I wait until it's "dry" (natural state) and then put cleanser all over the spots where there is makeup. I then work it in and after get the blender wet - it seems to work better as nearly all the makeup is washed out, what usually isn't the case if i wash it in a dampened state.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Applies foundation that is otherwise hard to apply evenly, if sheerer. Great for cream blush, and even setting powder. Expensive, but it seems like it will last a long time, after 4 months it still looks like new.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this for a month or so. I definitely like the foundation coverage this sponge can provide. The application is very even and makes my skin look great. I just don't like cleansing it. It's extremely difficult to get all the foundation (even if you wash it everyday). I can see lots of residue on the sponge. One time I tried to wash it too much and I ended up having a rip on it. I would probably buy this again until I find a cheaper version. If I find a cheaper one, at least I don't mind throwing it out say once a month and switch to a new one.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I bought this as I had originally bought a 'dupe' for this and wasn't impressed (a Cosmopolitan version). But I was curious to see if this was any better and although this was 3 times the price of the 'dupe' it is sooooo much better! I find it better with thicker foundations as it sheers them out to give me the coverage I prefer. Thinner foundation tends to be too sheer, so I will stick to my brushes for that. But I am so impressed that this little pink egg shaped pillow can do such a sterling job! I dot foundation on my face, then use this dampened to bounce the foundation around. If you do a search on YouTube, there are some excellent tutorials on how to use this successfully. I find it uses less foundation than a brush giving me much better results. It is also better being cleaned with the cleanser which goes with it, as I tried to use baby shampoo and Mac brush cleanser but they didn't do any where near as good a job as the bb cleanser. Oh, and have not noticed pink dye coming out of mine :o)

Edit: 31st Dec 2013. I have just bought my second beautyblender after using my original one roughly every other day (or so) for around 14/16 months of use!!!! And once again, my new sponge still doesn't bleed colour when washing (not that I can see anyway). So, I think that although the price seems steep at first, when you find out how long they last, they really are worth the money after all!

Edit two: Once again, one year after buying my second beautyblender I need to repurchase.When I received my new one i was very disappointed. It seemed to less bouncy, less dense (more holey?) and to my dismay it split and piled on my first go. So I sent it back and got another one. Oh dear, the replacement sponge feels the same and although I didn't get splitting or piling on this one (but its still very new) it still doesn't feel the same as my first two. I hope this is a manufacturing blip otherwise this will be my last beautyblender. Shame :(

on 1/31/2014 10:02:00 AM

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Medium

Maybe I'm missing something, but in my opinion, this is just a super expensive sponge. I hate taking the time to clean it, and as a result, I don't use it very often. Besides, I never feel like it's really clean since it's impossible to get rid of all that bacteria. I won't buy it again. I will use the disposable makeup wedges from my local drugstore. However, I did learn from using this that wetting it first makes it easier to blend makeup, so I'll add that trick to my repertoire.

UPDATE: After using this for several weeks, I have to admit I've come to love it. The way it makes the texture of my skin look is amazing! I'm very happy with the results, but I dislike the whole cleaning process. I miss my disposable wedges, but they never made my skin look like this!

on 2/26/2014 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

So I finally bit the bullet and bought the duo set for this. Previously I avoided it because of the cost and purchased a CVS dupe that sucked and then Real techniques. I LOVE RT dupe and after using the BB now, I feel like they are just about one in the same.

I saw no noticeable different in application between the two. BB doesn't feel identical when you squeeze it, it's more bouncy. RT take a second or two to fully form again. BB is a slightly different shape and a tiny bit smaller. RT has a slant on it that I prefer for more precise application, but it's not a deal breaker.

BOTH are exceptional sponges and changed the way I use makeup. I will never go back to brushes again. These have renewed some love with foundations I skipped before because I could not get the application right on my face with the brushes. It just blends it all out like skin and looks airbrushed.

I hope this info helps because I was really trying to find the differences between the two before I broke down and bought the BB finally. No real difference and the RT is $5.99. If you do splurge like I did, go for the BB Duo instead of buying it single. It comes out cheaper in the long run. I paid $26.99 for two. One is 19.99.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oh beautyblender, where have you been all my life? When you found me, I applied foundation inexpertly with either my fingertips or a cosmetic sponge wedge. I looked like some crazy lady who put on her makeup in the dark.... my foundation was uneven and streaky. The car vanity mirror was both my worst enemy and my best friend. Sitting at a red light, I was embarrassed by the sloppy way I wore foundation, yet grateful to have the chance to correct it before heading to work. Now my skin is so even and glow-y! MUAers: this little tool is expensive, but absolutely amazing! It takes me about five minutes to apply foundation flawlessly in the morning and my skin looks even and dewy all day. I am so happy to have found this! Will definitely repurchase.

on 11/8/2014 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I reaad soooo much about what an amazing product this was that I just could not resist giving it a try. I had super low expectations because I am pretty much addicted to the various foundation brushes I use on the daily which give flawless coverage and I figured nothing can compare. While in line I was having flashbacks of those horrific sponge wedges I used to buy in High School that were terrible but for the sake of beauty, I persevered and resisted the temptation to put it down and just pick up a new brush instead. Now that I have used this for nearly a month, in a variety of ways, I am still on the fence as to whether it was worth the price or is worth the hype, or not.

For Foundation Application:
I have a couple foundations that I hadn't been able to use as much as I wished: Clinique Redness Solutions (because it went on too thick and dry looking on my already patchy dry skin) and my Chanel Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing Fluid Makeup (which I love for its moisturization and yellow tones but hate due to the way it settles into my pores). When I sued the beauty blender to apply these, they went on like a dream for the first time - I couldn't even tell I had foundation on it was so natural looking in its finish. But then I noticed something... the sponge soaked up the majority of product and definitely reduced my full coverage foundations to tinted lotion status. This is NOT cool when you are talking about 2 foundations products that total almost $90! The pro here is that I will now actually use some of my more pricy foundations that had just been laying around. The con is that if I used this with my HG foundations Chantecaille Future Skin ($75), Laura Mercier Creme Smooth ($53), or my Nars Sheer Glow ($45) I would be wasting copious amounts of extremely expensive products as well as changing them from flawless coverage formulations into tints! This sponge drinks up foundation like nobody's business IMO.

For Cream Contour & Highlighting:
I have always had to work hard at blending cream highlights out well for one reason or another. And here is where the Beauty Blender (and its pointy end) work well. However (yup, another caveat!) much like with foundation application the majority gets soaked up in the sponge so this is really only beneficial on top of foundation. Being as how I want my highlighting under my foundation, I am just not that impressed. I did like how it blended my darker and thicker (IE cheapo products) less utilized contour creams though, providing a nice natural look.

So yeah, the beauty blender does blend out foundation well - but it also wastes 90% (if not more) of the product in which was actually intended to go ONTO your face. Because it makes hard to use products work, that deserves 5 stars. Because it wastes so much product, that deserves 1 star. Because it is way overpriced for what it does, that deserves 0 stars (honestly this thing should cost 8-12 bucks). Once I run out of Chanel foundation I am betting I will never use this blender again, which makes it a completely useless waste of money.

on 3/2/2016 7:57:00 AM

I love this sponge! it creates the most flawless finish and it's super easy to use. I can get into all the nooks and crannies on my face including the inner corner of the eye and around my nose. There are no streaks or weird residue from products left on my skin when I use the Beautyblender. It just all blends in seamlessly. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

I was initially worried that the sponge will absorb a lot of the product and I'll have to use quite a bit more when using it for foundation or concealer, but I haven't noticed that to be a problem. In my opinion, i don't use more product with the sponge than with a brush.

I'm slightly concerned that, like all sponges, it'll have issues with bacteria growth, so I'm a bit obsessive about cleaning it, which is a bit time consuming. But as this thing is being rolled all over my face, it's worth the extra effort.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools