beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 11/18/2018 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I resisted buying this for years because I just couldn't justify paying $20 for a beauty sponge...and then I bought one with a gift card and I was hooked. I had used a drugstore brand before (the orange one) and I like it well enough but they broke really easily. It is worth the hype. It is soft yet solid and so bouncy. My makeup applies flawlessly with my Beauty Blender. I will never go back.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use the pro (black) version of the beautyblender, and while I really like it I’m not using it often.
It blends a concealer like a dream by eating it up. So basically to make the end result looks like I like I must go heavy handed at the beginning and spend some quality time pressing and blending it to my skin if I use the normal amount of the product I will end up with a very sheer coverage. I don't have dark circles and I almost never use a concealer, like 10 times a year...
I don't like wearing liquid foundation, and it's definitely not the best tool to work with powders. It works quite well with cream products that need to look like a part of the skin, for example, color correctors, I prefer to use those to using concealers.
It also takes some time and significant efforts to wash it properly, and if you pick the white or cream sponge they will always stay stained. I just can't stand stained beauty tools, they throw me off. I love using white brushes and I have no problems cleaning those.

It is an awesome tool for anyone who loves liquid or cream foundations, wear concealer daily or loves spending time doing their makeup. I'm not one of those people. I prefer quick out of the door solutions and beauty tools that are fast to clean. Cream products do not sink deeply into the Beautyblender and are easy to wash off, so I use it solely with those.

on 7/4/2018 1:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Not impressed at all.

I've been using the drugstore dupes for this, but I finally decided to buy the real deal since I have large pores and a sponge is my go-to for application. Grabbed the Queen edition packaging - pink sponge -- and at the check out, I asked the gal if it was the regular sponge and she said yes, just had special packaging.

Well, got home and took the sponge out-- first thought was 'why is there chunks coming off the bottom of the sponge already?' The bottom had a bit of sponge hanging, so I tugged it off- leaving a little hole in the sponge. Kinda like a loose thread? WTF? Brand new and the sponge is fraying/fuzzy/pulling off?

I decided it wasnt a big deal, applied foundation -- which it applied nicely, but then 2 more things happened: sponge didnt swell up as big as I thought it would, maybe Im used to rt sponges, or maybe ppl's sponges look bigger in videos, but I felt it looked smaller than norm, and #2 (the biggest dealbreaker)--- it would NOT wash clean. No matter how much I used of my DIY sponge cleaner (which has worked on everything else) I could not get my foundation to completely wash out. And I used even oil, thinking it may have been my foundation not breaking down? Nope. After fussing with the sponge and thinking it was just stained, I bobbed the sponge on a towel and NOPE -- still makeup residue coming off the sponge.

So now it sits on my beauty table, used once, stained, still makeup residue (and I use not even full coverage foundation) and looks like I'd had it for 20 years. Waste of money, regret purchase, stick to the $5 RT sponges. So much better, available everywhere, clean so much better (especially if you have acne-prone, sensitive skin like me!) and better bang for your $$$. Unless the bb sponges in the limited edition Queen packaging are defective, this is a piece of crap! So disappointed. Ugh.

I wear double wear foundation and usually apply with a brush but decided to try the beatyblendee I got the original pink one and followed the instruction of wetting it wringing it and using it and yes my foundation was nice but it definitely didn't give as much coverage and I was using more foundation than I normally do. It is also quite time consuming to put on. I also noticed that it wasn't staying in place as well as it normally did when I was using a brush. So after about 2 weeks of using it one morning I thought I'd revert back to my brush and decide which I prefer and the brush has won hands down I had good even heavy coverage that stayed in place all day was quicker to use and only used half the amount of the beauty blender. So it's back to my £6.00 foundation brush for me. It may work for you if you prefer a lighter more dewy look but if double wear is your HG then you probably prefer a heavier look so the beauty blender probably isn't for you.

on 10/20/2016 4:50:00 AM

I love it

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had the pink one which I loved and I washed it after every use and put it on the canister that it came in like they recommend on the little leaflet that comes with it, only to find that the round bottom part of the sponge became mouldy with little black dots - so not the best way to dry the sponge like they recommended! Instead, it's best to lay it sideways on the canister so that there is airflow throughout the whole sponge to prevent mould.

So I went and got myself a new one and saw that the nude one had come out so bought it to compare how it differs to the pink one. The nude one seems to be made of a different material, is SUPER soft and a dream to use! However, after 2 washes, it ripped!!! That is so disappointing considering the sponge costs AU$30!!!

I will purchase again, however I will stick to the pink sponge as it is more durable.

I don't think the sponge is worth the hefty price, but it does blend out foundation like a dream and becomes addictive to use. There's nothing like it.

Love it for application of foundation and concealer. It is expensive but I would buy it again and again. Works great, lasts a long time. I bought Real Techniques sponge as well and Beauty Blender is better in my opinion.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Amazing. Turns a mediocre foundation into a decent one.
Have repurchased several times. The micro mini is also great for under eye area.

on 3/2/2016 7:57:00 AM

I love this sponge! it creates the most flawless finish and it's super easy to use. I can get into all the nooks and crannies on my face including the inner corner of the eye and around my nose. There are no streaks or weird residue from products left on my skin when I use the Beautyblender. It just all blends in seamlessly. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

I was initially worried that the sponge will absorb a lot of the product and I'll have to use quite a bit more when using it for foundation or concealer, but I haven't noticed that to be a problem. In my opinion, i don't use more product with the sponge than with a brush.

I'm slightly concerned that, like all sponges, it'll have issues with bacteria growth, so I'm a bit obsessive about cleaning it, which is a bit time consuming. But as this thing is being rolled all over my face, it's worth the extra effort.

on 11/8/2014 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I reaad soooo much about what an amazing product this was that I just could not resist giving it a try. I had super low expectations because I am pretty much addicted to the various foundation brushes I use on the daily which give flawless coverage and I figured nothing can compare. While in line I was having flashbacks of those horrific sponge wedges I used to buy in High School that were terrible but for the sake of beauty, I persevered and resisted the temptation to put it down and just pick up a new brush instead. Now that I have used this for nearly a month, in a variety of ways, I am still on the fence as to whether it was worth the price or is worth the hype, or not.

For Foundation Application:
I have a couple foundations that I hadn't been able to use as much as I wished: Clinique Redness Solutions (because it went on too thick and dry looking on my already patchy dry skin) and my Chanel Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing Fluid Makeup (which I love for its moisturization and yellow tones but hate due to the way it settles into my pores). When I sued the beauty blender to apply these, they went on like a dream for the first time - I couldn't even tell I had foundation on it was so natural looking in its finish. But then I noticed something... the sponge soaked up the majority of product and definitely reduced my full coverage foundations to tinted lotion status. This is NOT cool when you are talking about 2 foundations products that total almost $90! The pro here is that I will now actually use some of my more pricy foundations that had just been laying around. The con is that if I used this with my HG foundations Chantecaille Future Skin ($75), Laura Mercier Creme Smooth ($53), or my Nars Sheer Glow ($45) I would be wasting copious amounts of extremely expensive products as well as changing them from flawless coverage formulations into tints! This sponge drinks up foundation like nobody's business IMO.

For Cream Contour & Highlighting:
I have always had to work hard at blending cream highlights out well for one reason or another. And here is where the Beauty Blender (and its pointy end) work well. However (yup, another caveat!) much like with foundation application the majority gets soaked up in the sponge so this is really only beneficial on top of foundation. Being as how I want my highlighting under my foundation, I am just not that impressed. I did like how it blended my darker and thicker (IE cheapo products) less utilized contour creams though, providing a nice natural look.

So yeah, the beauty blender does blend out foundation well - but it also wastes 90% (if not more) of the product in which was actually intended to go ONTO your face. Because it makes hard to use products work, that deserves 5 stars. Because it wastes so much product, that deserves 1 star. Because it is way overpriced for what it does, that deserves 0 stars (honestly this thing should cost 8-12 bucks). Once I run out of Chanel foundation I am betting I will never use this blender again, which makes it a completely useless waste of money.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools