beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.5

on 4/8/2008 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've had my "egg" for a year now. Using it daily and cleansing after each use it's still in good condition. Nice size and shape for setting MMU!

EDIT: Sonya Kashuk's Blue Peep has replaced the BB as my new favorite. Less expensive and just as good, although quite a bit more "firm" in texture.

on 7/6/2008 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The Beautyblender has transformed the way I do my makeupand the finished result. I used to use brushes for my foundation and concealer, and although I was happy enough with the results, application took forever and I had to be careful to blend really well to eliminate any sign of brush strokes.
With the Beautyblender, my foundation application is surprisingly quick and using the pointy end it just takes a couple of seconds to cover up my dark circles with concealer. And the results are amazing. The finish is flawless, the application looks invisible, and any signs of dark circles are banished.
I'm naughty and only wash mine a couple of times a week as it takes more time to clean than it does to use (I use Philosophy Purity to clean it).
They are horribly expensive, especially in my part of the world, so I wait till cyberemporium.com.au have a sale (I got mine at 30% off).
It comes with a ridiculous amount of packaging, which I find really wasteful. You can supposedly use the packaging to sit the BB on to dry it out, but who's realistically going to keep packaging that's about 5 times the size of the product?
A word of advice: if you have cats, don't leave this out within their reach. I saw my cat racing around last night with a pink toy. "Ooh, cute" I thought to myself, until I realised that he didn't have any pink toys. Thankfully I managed to retrieve my BB before he did too much damage to it.
UPDATE: 09/08/08 (minus 1 lippie). I'm finding that I use twice as much foundation with this to get less coverage than I would with a brush as the sponge soaks up so much product. Am now applying foundation roughly with my fingers and then using this to blend, and am getting great results.
After 3 months am finding that it's starting to disintegrate a little. For the price I would expect it to last longer.

on 1/25/2011 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Wow wow wow i love this pink sponge :) Stumbled upon this product accidently on youtube and started reading reviews here and decided to give this a try..i am no makeup expert mind you..but even i am amazed by the results. I used this with the MAC Studio Sculpt foundation and it applied like a dream, no streaks, makeup does'nt look caked on. Before this sponge i used to use ELF Studio Blush brush or my fingers..i felt it would not cover enough but after using this sponge i realise what i've been missing. Overall a biggggg YAY from me.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using this for a few months now. If you're going to buy the sponge, you might as well bite the bullet and purchase the cleanser as well - that'll save you from your woes when you can't get the foundation off it. As a professional makeup artist, this is a really great tool to have. I use it when I want a flawless look for my own face - so I guess you can say that it's worth the steep price! I bought mine here in Canada online at ebeauty.ca. You can buy the sponge and cleanser together to save money. I'd definitely recommend this sponge. It's not super popular in Canada yet but I have a feeling it will be soon!

on 2/6/2012 8:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I did not find this to be worth the price. Although I don't wear foundation, I do use liquid concealer where needed, and I thought might be a better application tool than my MAC 130. It isn't, however, so I am returning this to ebeauty.

on 7/28/2012 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My only comments about the Beautyblender are that it soaks up a ridiculous amount of liquid foundation. Yes, I dampen my sponge. That doesn't do anything to keep the sponge from soaking up too much foundation. It's annoying if your foundation is cheap, but if you're using an expensive foundation, it's intolerable. I find that I get better a better application when I apply the foundation to my face in wide stripes with my fingers and blend the foundation in with the Beautyblender. If I need to layer more foundation, I dab on with my fingers and blend again with the Beautyblender. I've only had good application results with liquid foundations and powder foundations. My Diorskin compact foundation looks flawless when applied with the Beautyblender. Unfortunately, I can't seem to use the Beautyblender to apply loose mineral foundation without it looking cakey and gross.

Make it a point to thoroughly wash the foundation out of your Beautyblender after each and every application, let the sponge dry, and it should last you for a good 2 months before it starts to break down. The Beautyblender cleanser is a little too watery for me. Bobbi Brown brush cleanser works the best. I don't recommend baby shampoo since it gets too foamy and you'll have to spend some time trying to get all the suds out of the sponge. Dr. Brommer's Magic soap also works well in a pinch. It's not as good as Bobbi Brown but not as foamy as baby shampoo. Don't bother wasting your money on the Beautyblender cleanser. It's nothing to write home about.

on 10/12/2012 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

The Beauty Blender is super soft, and that's my favorite thing about it. That's also really the only difference between it and another blending sponge. You get the same results. It's great for the eye area because it applies makeup so gently. I don't know whether its worth the price though yet.

I washed it a few times now and each time the dye has bled. Not liking that.
The first time, the dye bled a lot. Now the sponge is a lighter pink color.
Im also starting to feel like it takes less time to just use my hand/fingers for foundation application then using this. Eiether way you get nice results.

on 4/21/2013 10:25:00 PM

I bought this only because I had a gift certificate and didn't need anything else so I fugured what the hell, let me try it. I didn't have any crazy expectations even though it has great reviews and a cult following, I mean, my god, it's just a sponge, what could it really do, right? wrong! This little thing has totally blown me away like unbelievable! It gives THE most amazing light flawless airbrushed perfect finish that looks like there is absolutely nothing on your skin. Never in a million years did I think a sponge could do this. And it's incredible for cream blush!

on 5/18/2013 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

For years, I resisted purchasing this trying to avoid the hype. I thought to myself..what's the big deal? It's a sponge. How different can it be from those sponge wedges I can buy from CVS or walmart?

It is truly something special people. It diffuses the liquid foundation to a natural finish while keeping the coverage. It's pretty awesome. I try to take good care of it because it's so expensive. It's difficult to wash even with the beauty blender soap.

on 6/7/2013 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Great product, and superior to other makeup sponges around. Its composition and shape really enables economical usage of creamy / waxy / pressed mineral foundations, as it presses and spreads the product on the face so beautifully.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools