beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

on 11/20/2007 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I hate to ruin the great reviews, but I was just not a fan of this hot-pink egg. I find the shape awkward and the price just ridiculous for what you get. Though the sponge itself is nice and dense, I think Bobbi Brown wedges are of the same quality and you get an eight-pack for $5.50.

Part of my dislike is the clean freak in me, as you need to wash this sponge after each use or it sits there looking disgusting and breeding who-knows-what germs. It also takes a long time to rinse, in my experience. That being said, I absolutely love the Beautyblender cleanser to use with regular brushes. It give a nice deep clean and rinses well.

I gave it two lippies because the sponge does do it's job. But bottom line, the Beautyblender is *just* a sponge! The Web site instructs you to use a stippling technique, and you can do that with any wedge or foundation brush to get that airbrushed look. I just swapped it away and will stick to using BB wedges or the Mac 187 for applying foundation. continued >>

I hate to be the negetive one but for the very few of you ladies who gave this product a bad review- yes you were right! I am shocked that at this very moment only 11% of us said we would not buy this again because in all honesty this product did NOT deliver.I immediatly ordered 2 of these kits being that it was proclaimed a "holy grail" product and i am so angry- total waste of money!
First off, i want to say i have read every single review on this board as well as about 100 posts on qvc about this product and even watched the tutorial many times. I have been a makeup artist for over 10 years so i consider myself to be an expert at make-up application. This sponge is a useless tool. Brushes are better, more sanitary and much cheaper.
I literally used 4 times more product because this sponge just sucked up and absorbed all of the concealer/foundation yet still leaving me with sheer coverage. Yes i used it wet and stippled by the way. With my concealer brush and just a tiny amount of concealer i am able to conceal ALL of my imperfections and dark circles. With beautyblender so much product was wasted and not enough coverage. I also tried this with cream blushes and it was horrible. I lightly dabbed the cream blush on and right away all the makeup i had underneth came off and i got uneven blotchy blush application. The ONLY thing this works well for is highlighters. I took the advice of someone who in their review of this product mentioned she used pigments with it and that it was amazing (or a word similar to amazing lol). Well while i wouldnt say it was amazing it was still beautiful. I dabbed the pigment on- it was actually a becca product similar to mac pigments. It was a light goldish highlighting color and the dampened sponge really did make a world of a difference. Only problem- i had to use a TON of product- this time about 10 times more lol. The effect was pretty but i cannot see myself spending $44 on one kit for just a highlighting tool- not to mention the amount of product i would waste (being that these becca products are expensive and they are the only powders i use).
Last i want to stress the most important concern that i have which i am shocked no one here has mentioned.....BACTERIA!!!! I wash this everytime of course but my problem is this: dipping a damp/wet sponge into my pots and jars of cream blushes will eventually cause contamination and breaking down of the product. Cream blushes such as nars, bobbi brown, etc are not meant for wet sponges to be dipped into them and this moisture/water in my opinion will change the product. I would have appreciated a tool that could work dry because i don't want to ruin my expensive blushes by contamintating them.
Packaging is horrible and highly unintelligent. I watched the tutorial where they showed you "how to remove it" which alone states how ridiculious this is. The sponge is housed in a cacoon of very sharp plastic points that looks like it is nestled in a claw. I followed the directions and pushed it from down under so that it would'nt tear but i still had tears in all 4 of my sponges due to the sharp plastic points that were jabbed into it while packaged. Why make a product that a) will tear very easilly due to it being housed in sharp hard plastic and b) needs a tutorial to watch on how to remove it. Talk about issues. If the creators were smart they would have invented something packaged nicely yet non-damaging.
I really think this is a novelty item that is all hype and if anything just makes you feel good to be part of this trend. I am not trying to insult anyone who praises this because in all honesty- i wanted to be part of this trend too lol. I just need something that gives me coverage without wasting product and as far as i am concerned this is equivilent to all the other cheap dollar store sponges out there only it's pink and pretty!

on 2/15/2010 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I got this sponge as a present for X-mas & I had just started using it the other day, which yes I know is crazy but I didn't know how to use it but if I would have just opened it up I would have seen the directions right in there...duh!! Lol!! But anyways, I've only used it about 3x & I really like it, after reading the directions & watching a couple videos on youtube its so simple & very multipurpose! You can use it with foundation, liquid or powder, concealer, cream blush, or just about anything!! The pointy end let's you use it in hard to reach areas & the wider end is for larger spaces. I got the one sponge with the clean which, is great also & clean up is so much quicker than cleaning regular mu brushes, I actually don't mind cleaning the sponge after every use unlike washing mu brushes where u have to pull out the shampoo & everything then let dry over night or so. Yeah, the sponge has to sit there & dry too but it seems so much faster & easier! Prior to me using this sponge I had bought the MAC 190 brush & tried that for almost a week & didn't like it at all so I just returned it & feel much more comfortable using this or my 187 brush. Yes, this sponge is a bit expensive but I recommend you getting one, it is worth it! Even though I didn't buy this one, I am gonna get another, once this one gets old because its so good!!

on 5/28/2010 2:03:00 PM

I'd wanted this product for about 6 months and finally broke down and bought it after my Sonia Kashuk sponge was a flop. I love this thing! It applies my liquid foundation and concealer beautifully and is pretty easy to clean with baby shampoo. I have noticed quite a bit of hot pink dye going down the drain when I wash it, but I assume that will go away after a few more washes. This is definitely worth the money and I will repurchase once my two wear out.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I can't express my love for this product enough. It IS way over priced (after all it's only a sponge) and I wish I knew how to make my own sponge but since I can't I will continue to buy it because there is no knock off that can do the job like this...definitely one of my favs.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I change my mind on whether I like foundation or not (half the time I find it too cakey and irritating) but I decided to give it another go just to try out this sponge and see what the fuss was about. I really love it. Previously I've used my fingers, regular sponges, and a flat brush to apply makeup, but I think this is my favourite way to apply foundation (plus it's cute). It can be used for sheer coverage, which I prefer, and I like that it lasts a long time (less waste!). It's kind of hard to find but if you live in Canada www.ebeauty.ca sells it with free shipping (I think it's some kind of promotion).

on 1/20/2012 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is an expensive product but well worth it IMO. I have the two pack which is much more economical. My makeup looks flawless when I use my BB to apply. I just put a little foundtaion on the back of my hand, soak it up with the dampened BB and stipple on my face. Its quite quick and easy. I wash mine after every use but it is still stained a bit, which I honestly don't mind.

I have tried the Sonia Kashuk and Ulta knock-offs of this and I can tell a huge difference. They do not compare to the BB.

on 3/31/2012 12:16:00 AM

This sponge is simply amazing. It literally gives the face a beautiful airbrushed finish. I have almost every brush from every brand and nothing compares to this! You have to get it!

I adore this sponge! It blends foundation and concealer like a dream! It gives me such an airbrushed look. It works for liquid, creme, and even powder foundation. The only down side (which I overlook because it is so awesome) is the maintenance and price. I would highly recommend to wash this after/before every use because it can accumulate bacteria. The price is what held me back at first but if with good care, it has lasted me over a year. I don't even reach for my brushes most of the time.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

ATTENTION people who consider to buy BeautyBlender. Actually this works. It gives me a beautiful luminous and blended evenly on my face BUT this is NOT for the full coverage application. Currently you're using a heavy foundation such as ER double wear or Revlon colorstay and you've liked its nice coverage, please avoid this item. This is rather for luminous and light coverage make up and it exactly does the same job as just wearing any kind of luminous foundations. I just prefer to use these for natural make up instead of beauty blender - make it wet, squeeze it, then blend it all over my face! such a annoying steps.
People who need full coverage make up please avoid this item and don't waste your money. If you look for natural and glow skin make up, just try another foundation - Makeup Forever Face&Body foundation, George Armani Luminous Silk foundation, BB cream, and etc..they also gives beautiful luminous on your skin without this expensive sponge.

Pros: It helps to blend foundation evenly, it gives me a nice luminous look but it's exactly the same as wearing a BB cream

Con: No coverage at all.

Hope this review helps you:)

Popular Misc Beauty Tools