beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

3.6

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

When I first bought the Beautyblender, I was in love. It seemed to make my foundation look even more perfect than it did with the 187.

Boy, was I wrong. First of all, the cleaning process is a little ridiculous for my taste. I actually like to clean my brushes really often, probably because I'm washing hair, but washing a sponge every night is definitely not my cup of tea.

Every time I use this product, I follow the instructions exactly. I wet it down so it can expand to its fullest potential size, and squeeze the extra water out in a towel. Then I either put foundation directly on the sponge or on my hand, and then bounce the sponge around my face.

It does blend product nicely. But this sponge cannot get my makeup in the lines in my face like a stippling brush can. So as a result, after just a few minutes of having foundation on, the makeup creases horribly in my forehead line (the huge line that pops up when you raise your eyebrows). And I'm not even raising my eyebrows to make the line pop out.

Smoothing this crease out can do the trick temporarily, but little by little the buildup comes back. Every time. And trust me, I ALWAYS set my foundation with loose powder.

I much prefer brushes. MUCH better investment. This crap lasts you, what, 3 months, and it's almost half the price of a MAC 187. The 187, and brushes in general, can last you YEARS with good care.

The packaging sucks, too. I'm not the type of person that reads instructions before taking something out of its packaging, but apparently that's the case with this product. There's a specific way to remove the sponge from its case. Pathetic. I just ripped the thing out unknowingly. Luckily the sponge did not tear, but others have reported multiple tears even while removing the sponge correctly.

My advice: look elsewhere when buying a makeup applicator.

on 9/25/2009 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

Guys- grab this. Yes, it's expensive, but it's so amazing! Use it damp and watch it transform your face! I love this! Just make sure to wash it often, otherwise, ewww, but besides for needing frequent washing, this scores! I am not using my foundation brush anymore because this is so, so much better.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

To anyone looking at my lippies and wondering "Why so low?" I should add that this sponge is ONLY GOOD FOR SHEER COVERAGE.

To my fellow ladies who need heavy coverage for mild rosacea (like me) or whatever, this will not do it. I should have known - anything that you have to dampen, unless it's bone dry by the time you apply, will sheer your makeup.

I really want to give it one lippie, but I don't want to seem to negative, because this is great for sheer application!

Also - I hated the packaging, and I feel like applying took longer than with my real techniques face brush.

Oh - and I read so many reviews saying how they did it, I followed every step extra carefully, and I watched tutorials. I did it correctly, it just isn't for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Wow. Quickest and easiest way to apply my foundation, with an absolutely flawless finish. I loved my Sigmax brushes for quite a while but I don't think I'll be going back to them. Literally amazing.

on 8/19/2013 12:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have got two of these and they are my new best friend as far as makeup applying goes! I got mine for $5 at my local TJ Maxx. I feel like when I get done using mine I have an airbrushed finish! Just wash them about every 4-7 days so there's no germs causing breakouts on your face! :)

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I wrote a review for the beauty blender a while back but over time I feel like my opinion on this product has changed a bit so I thought I would review it. I love my beauty blender so much, I feel like it is the best makeup applicator in the world. It gives me a flawless finish, it is fast to use, easy to clean, gets in to hard- to- reach places...but where my problem comes in in the price. While I think the beauty blender is a great tool, one of them costs $26 and lasts around 3 months (so the company says). A makeup brush by say, Sigma is $18 and will last you indefinitely if you take good care of it. I've had my beauty blender for 8 months now and it is still functional despite a few tiny holes but I feel like at the most this would last me 12 months and that might even bepushing it. I did buy some cheap cosmetic sponges to try and compare how they worked (the bag was 8 for $2) and I found that despite that the application process was a little less 'bouncy' the end result was identical. The beauty blender company knows how to market with an attractive hot pink product in an adorable tear drop shape and that is what sucks people in to buying it but the price of a single, replaceable cosmetic sponge is outrageous. The price doesn't change that fact that I think it's an incredible product but there is no way that I can justify the price when a cheapy cosmetic sponge which cost 25 cents each gives me the same look. I will use mine until it is absolutely ruined but I will not repurchase.

I love and use my beauty blender every single day. I find that I can build up a good amount of coverage over my acne-prone skin, but still makes my foundation look natural. Overall it's a wonderful product and I would recommend it to anyone who can bear the price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought this on birch box and managed to get two for the price of one, which is the only good thing I can say about this product. The beauty blender is nothing special, and is just as good as any other brush. Brushes last years and this only lasts a couple of months and is almost the same price.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools