Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly

Filtered by hair type : Curly
 Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera GellyEnter TitleLily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly

Ingredients: Certified Organic Aloe Vera Barbadensis Juice (Gel), Lactobacillus/Arundinaria Gigantea Extract (Bamboo), Glucose (Preservative), Carbomer (Thickener), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Polysaccharides (Certified Organic Aloesorb), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A) , Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Glucose Oxidase and Lactoperioxidase (Preservative), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster)

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is the brand I used years ago. I've tried several different brands, but I really do think this is the closest to using it from the plant.

Now, I see some people saying it dried out/irritated their skin. Here's the thing with aloe vs a regular moisturizer. Aloe is moisturizing, yes. It creates a barrier on the skin that protects it. However, you really should be adding a good humectant or hydrator before you use aloe to further the absorption and moisturizing qualities. I've heard aloe itself is a humectant, but I find that alone it just is not enough to draw it in. Humectants (like glycerin or rose water) and hydrators (products containing hyaluronic acid) encourage your skin to pull moisture in from the air, or in this case the aloe you put on after it. This is REALLY important if you have dehydrated skin. If you have very oily skin, it might be dehydrated- not dry (lacking oil and water overall) but dehydrated (lacking water content on the top layers of skin so your skin produces more oil to "fix" it). This is exactly what I went through with my skin and when I started fixing the dehydration the oil production slowed significantly.

Long story short- I really recommend using rosewater, glycerin or a hydrator before using aloe in general as a moisturizer. Aloe is a good moisturizer, but it's a lighter moisturizer. Great for irritated, oily, combination and acne prone skin. Possibly too light to be the only moisturizer if you have dry skin overall, but it definitely has a place in the acne/irritation sufferer's regimine!

I apply a rosewater and glycerin mixture (that i buy cheaply from walmart) with a spray bottle after cleansing and toning. Then I apply my vichy mineral 89- let it absorb. Then I apply my aloe with a drop or two of grapeseed oil. It has really been helping my skin. This is the best aloe brand I have found. Yes, the colour, consistency and odour can unfortunately change sometimes. I believe it actually says that on the package because it is such a pure form of aloe (it does still have a few additives). I did have one off smelling one years ago, but I found it still worked fine.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I have the new formula. I bought it just in case I needed it for a sunburn, but with this summer's heat waves, my usual "light" night cream was too greasy. I figured I'd try replacing my night cream with this stuff and I swear it's changed my life. Keeps my skin matte but hydrated and has definitely, definitely, cleared up some spots. I'll never be without this again. I don't think it's right for winter use if you get dry that time of year (as I do), but it's the best thing to happen to my summer skincare regime since sticking ice cubes down my shirt. It's thin, so it spreads evenly, meaning you don't need to use a whole lot, so it's great value. Just be wary of the squeeze tube -- it wants to let out more than you actually need.