Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
 Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera GellyEnter TitleLily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly

4.4

Ingredients: Certified Organic Aloe Vera Barbadensis Juice (Gel), Lactobacillus/Arundinaria Gigantea Extract (Bamboo), Glucose (Preservative), Carbomer (Thickener), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Polysaccharides (Certified Organic Aloesorb), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A) , Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Glucose Oxidase and Lactoperioxidase (Preservative), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster)

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is the brand I used years ago. I've tried several different brands, but I really do think this is the closest to using it from the plant.

Now, I see some people saying it dried out/irritated their skin. Here's the thing with aloe vs a regular moisturizer. Aloe is moisturizing, yes. It creates a barrier on the skin that protects it. However, you really should be adding a good humectant or hydrator before you use aloe to further the absorption and moisturizing qualities. I've heard aloe itself is a humectant, but I find that alone it just is not enough to draw it in. Humectants (like glycerin or rose water) and hydrators (products containing hyaluronic acid) encourage your skin to pull moisture in from the air, or in this case the aloe you put on after it. This is REALLY important if you have dehydrated skin. If you have very oily skin, it might be dehydrated- not dry (lacking oil and water overall) but dehydrated (lacking water content on the top layers of skin so your skin produces more oil to "fix" it). This is exactly what I went through with my skin and when I started fixing the dehydration the oil production slowed significantly.

Long story short- I really recommend using rosewater, glycerin or a hydrator before using aloe in general as a moisturizer. Aloe is a good moisturizer, but it's a lighter moisturizer. Great for irritated, oily, combination and acne prone skin. Possibly too light to be the only moisturizer if you have dry skin overall, but it definitely has a place in the acne/irritation sufferer's regimine!

I apply a rosewater and glycerin mixture (that i buy cheaply from walmart) with a spray bottle after cleansing and toning. Then I apply my vichy mineral 89- let it absorb. Then I apply my aloe with a drop or two of grapeseed oil. It has really been helping my skin. This is the best aloe brand I have found. Yes, the colour, consistency and odour can unfortunately change sometimes. I believe it actually says that on the package because it is such a pure form of aloe (it does still have a few additives). I did have one off smelling one years ago, but I found it still worked fine.

on 10/11/2016 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My favorite brand of aloe gel. It's aloe with not much else added, especially no funny fragrance. I like the tube packaging and it is widely available at a reasonable price at health food stores. I will be repurchasing as long as they make it.

good stuff

on 1/20/2015 12:14:00 AM

Last week I had a very bad acne/rash reaction to a `higher end` brand. My skin was going crazy, blemishes, rash, redness under the skin`s surface. The next day got worse. I panicked and looked up how to naturally treat rashes and acne. Aloe came up a lot. I ran to Whole Foods and got the cheapest (?) brand, Lily of the D, thinking that `I have had tried aloe a long time ago and didn`t do much just disappeared in my skin`, so to be honest I didn`t wanna spend too much IF it didn`t work out. I also got a tea tree cleanser in a blemish kit. Anyway I ran home and put this on my face, later again, and OMG, my redness was calmed down a lot, my skin felt like `ooooh, thank you!`. Now, 2 days later my skin is almost completely clear! I can`t believe this, but yes, my skin is poreless, beautil, feels and looks healthy. I am amazed by this product! Not only I will use this for any acne or redness, but I will use this only and a cleanser, toner. Unlike the aloe I tried years ago, THIS brand is much better, it made a difference in my skin immediately and it is moisturizing enough, to a point that I don`t need a moisturizer... Under $5, and it worked (works) like a miracle. :-)))

on 11/27/2013 3:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I've gone through one tube of Lily of the Desert aloe vera gelly and am now working on my second. This is a great product for acne prone skin types. I use it morning and night under my ss/moisturizer. It really helps heal any blemishes I have faster. AND it does not clog my pores one bit or cause breakouts!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is great as a moisturizer/primer. You can even use it on cuts or sunburned skin, like it says on the back. I've used it everyday for the past few weeks, and I really think it's helped my acne and my skin looks a lot better, so I recommended it to my brother, and it's helped his skin, too. Great product, great value. :)
EDIT: After a few months, I've really noticed a difference. I used to have a pretty big acne scar on my forehead, but now it's almost gone! My acne is significantly better. I'm really happy. :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I have the new formula. I bought it just in case I needed it for a sunburn, but with this summer's heat waves, my usual "light" night cream was too greasy. I figured I'd try replacing my night cream with this stuff and I swear it's changed my life. Keeps my skin matte but hydrated and has definitely, definitely, cleared up some spots. I'll never be without this again. I don't think it's right for winter use if you get dry that time of year (as I do), but it's the best thing to happen to my summer skincare regime since sticking ice cubes down my shirt. It's thin, so it spreads evenly, meaning you don't need to use a whole lot, so it's great value. Just be wary of the squeeze tube -- it wants to let out more than you actually need.

Hair: Other, Straight, Other

I bought this for a trip to Hawaii since I heard that aloe helps to soothe sunburns, I sunburn really easily so I thought it'd be a good idea for me to pick one up. I have to say that for the price (around $5.99 CAD) it was quite a good deal. It didn't irritate my skin, was moisturizing and had a very soothing quality to it. I also enjoyed the cooling sensation it left on my skin.

Only two downsides for me: First the scent- it smells a bit plastic-like and synthetic to me, in a very strong way. Secondly, it didn't sink into my skin very well, I would wake up the next morning with some of it still splattered here and there.

Overall, it was alright but I prefer Burt's Bees "Aloe & Linden Flower After Sun Soother" as it had a more pleasant scent and sunk into my skin more easily.

Ingredients: Certified Organic Aloe Vera Barbadensis Juice (Gel), Lacctobacillus/Arundinaria Gigantea Extract (Bamboo), Glucose (Preservative), Carbomer (Thickener), Aloe Barbedensis Leaf Polysaccharides (Certified Organic Aloesorb), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster)

on 5/12/2010 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I LOVED the first tube that I bought of this. And then they changed the formulation. My "new" tube (purchased several months ago) has a funny smell to it, almost like yogurt. hmm...
I don't get sunburned very often, and so my primary use of this is on my face to soothe my sensitive, irritable skin, especially after using a scrub or face mask. However, I found that the new formulation only made my skin more red and irritated. So then I looked at the ingredients... this gelly has all kinds of things in it that aren't aloe, and it's not less than 1% as I was led to believe by the front of the bottle: 99% of the ingredients are "natural," which does not have a standard definition in the cosmetics industry. I'm sure this would be a lovely product just for sunburns (how I intend to use it from now on) or for those with less sensitive skin, but it just didn't really work for me the way I wanted it to. Off to find an aloe gel that won't burn my skin!

I use this aloe vera gelly as an eyeshadow primer (yes!) and I still cant get over how well it works. When I first apply it on my eyelids, it feels very sticky and wet, but it dries in a matter of seconds and then I apply my e/s & liner. Considering that 99% of this product consists of pure organically grown aloe vera, it feels safer for my eyes... It's also a cheap solution but works just as well and even better than some primers I tried!

I also make my own moisturizer using this gelly as a thickener, mixed with favourite plant- and essential oils. Basically it's the only moisturizer that won't make my skin overreact. It acts very soothing and cooling. I make enough for 1-2 weeks, so it's always fresh and keep the gel in a mini plastic container.

Yes, LotD changed the ingredients recently, and I prefer the older version, but a whole 99% of aloe vera juice is still good enough for me. I have also tried aloeonline.se's Jelly, which contains 99,6% aloe vera, and works just as good, but I prefer Lily of the Desert because it's labeled organic.
This is definitely one of my HG must-have beauty products. continued >>