Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly

Filtered by age: 25-29
 Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera GellyEnter TitleLily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly

Ingredients: Certified Organic Aloe Vera Barbadensis Juice (Gel), Lactobacillus/Arundinaria Gigantea Extract (Bamboo), Glucose (Preservative), Carbomer (Thickener), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Polysaccharides (Certified Organic Aloesorb), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A) , Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Glucose Oxidase and Lactoperioxidase (Preservative), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster)

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is the brand I used years ago. I've tried several different brands, but I really do think this is the closest to using it from the plant.

Now, I see some people saying it dried out/irritated their skin. Here's the thing with aloe vs a regular moisturizer. Aloe is moisturizing, yes. It creates a barrier on the skin that protects it. However, you really should be adding a good humectant or hydrator before you use aloe to further the absorption and moisturizing qualities. I've heard aloe itself is a humectant, but I find that alone it just is not enough to draw it in. Humectants (like glycerin or rose water) and hydrators (products containing hyaluronic acid) encourage your skin to pull moisture in from the air, or in this case the aloe you put on after it. This is REALLY important if you have dehydrated skin. If you have very oily skin, it might be dehydrated- not dry (lacking oil and water overall) but dehydrated (lacking water content on the top layers of skin so your skin produces more oil to "fix" it). This is exactly what I went through with my skin and when I started fixing the dehydration the oil production slowed significantly.

Long story short- I really recommend using rosewater, glycerin or a hydrator before using aloe in general as a moisturizer. Aloe is a good moisturizer, but it's a lighter moisturizer. Great for irritated, oily, combination and acne prone skin. Possibly too light to be the only moisturizer if you have dry skin overall, but it definitely has a place in the acne/irritation sufferer's regimine!

I apply a rosewater and glycerin mixture (that i buy cheaply from walmart) with a spray bottle after cleansing and toning. Then I apply my vichy mineral 89- let it absorb. Then I apply my aloe with a drop or two of grapeseed oil. It has really been helping my skin. This is the best aloe brand I have found. Yes, the colour, consistency and odour can unfortunately change sometimes. I believe it actually says that on the package because it is such a pure form of aloe (it does still have a few additives). I did have one off smelling one years ago, but I found it still worked fine.

This is a great aloe gel, it works well on my face (where others make it red and angry), works great for burns, acne and really light moisture. My only gripe with it, is I bought the bottle, and it was kind of difficult to squeeze.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Great product! Been using for inflamed skin, acne scarring/pigmentation for years. Really helps bring down redness and irritation after waxing or applying an intense mask. Great for those with rosacea as well. Very affordable price.

on 1/1/2010 12:35:00 PM

Very good aloe vera gel that helps better than most moisturiser! Makes my skin smooth and soft and works for sensitive skin. Lessens any redness that I have. I use to for sores and irritation too :) Love it! Put it in the fridge. Free of chemical and good for sensitive skin :33!

on 11/20/2009 3:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Well I bought this because I wanted to see if it would moisturize well..
I didn't like it as a moisturizer.. but I started to like it better after I'd rinsed it off..
So I had the idea to mix it with my Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and this totally perfected my skin care regimine..
I think the aloe makes my skin less pink less greasy and more tone.

I use this aloe vera gelly as an eyeshadow primer (yes!) and I still cant get over how well it works. When I first apply it on my eyelids, it feels very sticky and wet, but it dries in a matter of seconds and then I apply my e/s & liner. Considering that 99% of this product consists of pure organically grown aloe vera, it feels safer for my eyes... It's also a cheap solution but works just as well and even better than some primers I tried!

I also make my own moisturizer using this gelly as a thickener, mixed with favourite plant- and essential oils. Basically it's the only moisturizer that won't make my skin overreact. It acts very soothing and cooling. I make enough for 1-2 weeks, so it's always fresh and keep the gel in a mini plastic container.

Yes, LotD changed the ingredients recently, and I prefer the older version, but a whole 99% of aloe vera juice is still good enough for me. I have also tried aloeonline.se's Jelly, which contains 99,6% aloe vera, and works just as good, but I prefer Lily of the Desert because it's labeled organic.
This is definitely one of my HG must-have beauty products. continued >>

DESCRIPTION OF ME: Very dry, sensitive skin that doesn’t tolerate too much fragrance/additives well.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION: From the package: “Effective relief from: Sunburn, minor cuts and burns, bites, chaffing, cold sores, rash and skin irritations. A soothing moisturizer for sensitive skin.”

PACKAGE: Bottle stands upright w/product draining down towards the bottom and holds about 4 fluid ounces of product. Travels well.

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE: Medium gel consistency that absorbs fairly fast upon application.

SMELL: No scent whatsoever.

MOISTURIZING? This is moisturizing if you have particularly oily skin, otherwise you may want to invest in a more traditional lotion. However, it’s great for the occasional sunburn or other minor irritations.

BREAKOUTS/SENSITIVITY: None. In fact, it probably helps to zap zits by reducing the inflammation.

OVERALL: A good aloe vera product that is more transportable than a plant, but probably just as pure. I’ll definitely be repurchasing.

INGREDIENTS: 99.5% Certified Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Carbomer 940, Vitamins A, C, and E.

Thanks to Seclusae2 for the layout!
continued >>