Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup SPF 15

Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup SPF 15

3.3

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 4.0%, Oxybenzone 3.0%. Inactive Ingredients: Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Cetyl Peg/Ppg 10/1 Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glycerin, Glyceryl Behenate, Glyceryl Dibehenate, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Hexyl Laurate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin, Isododecane, Isoeicosane, Macrocystic Pyrifera Extract, Magnesium Sulfate, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Phenoxyethanol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Potassium Sorbate, Propylene Carbonate, Pvp, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Silica, Sodium Benzoate, Tocopherylacetate, Tribehenin, Triethoxylcaprylylsilane, Water. May Contain (+/-): Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), Iron Oxides (Ci 77499), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891).

on 11/3/2016 12:56:00 PM

A beautiful, satin finish almost-full coverage foundation that feels weightless with true all-day staying power for my aging, combination-oily 37-year old skin. It smooths, perfects, renders pores invisible and looks natural yet flawless. This is my new HG 100%. It has a thick and fluffy texture and one almost-full pump gives a very polished look with medium coverage. Think perfect interview makeup, not "I woke up like this!" no-makeup-makeup. I layer on top of the Hourglass Serum primer (the oil-based one), set with a sheer powder and it lasts 10 hours with zero shine. This is a first! Without the primer I go easily 6 hours before I need to powder again. But no caking or separating whatsoever! I am NC30/Barcelona and wear this in Light Beige. Very slight oxidation, perhaps a quarter of a shade darker, by the end of the day. I was told this is has skincare benefits. It might be hoopla but I really do feel my bare skin looks better after trying this foundation. While it is plenty pricey and the glass bottle is quite heavy (call me crazy but I love a light plastic squeeze bottle a la MAC Face&Body!), I cannot recommend enough. I will repurchase forever!

For me, This STUNK. The coverage was more than decent and it had a dewy satiny finish, so I bought it on recommendation at a store. Their lighting is not terrific, so I thought I was mistaken on the tone ( overly peachy). The MUAs said it was leaning warm/ peachy, but it would tone down with the powder, which it really did. The next lighter shade was significantly paler and yellower, so not an option. With the powder, it set and looked great for the first couple of hours. Unfortunately, the powder wears off and then the foundation either does as well, OR it oxidizes to a much deeper peach/outright orange. It was classed a "neutral" by the Pantone system, which I'm starting to think is completely whacked.

On the plus side, it does seem to plump skin and smooth lines. It also looked satiny and blurred flaws, although it creased badly when built up. Better with regular foundation brush than sponge of kabuki, I should add. Over the spring, I tried it with two Smashbox primers, some Koh Gen Do, a basic bb sunscreen, Benefit, and without primer at all. Results varied from awful to nice, but did not ever last a long time without breaking up around cheeks and nose. Held up on dry areas always.

If you never oxidize foundations or do actually have a very peachy undertone this may work for you ( if you can get it to last), but the shade range is very limited. I cannot imagine fair to light people using this, not too sure on the deepest shade either. If you are medium to dark and "cool" or olive vs warm, avoid! Funny thing is that I am somewhat peachy, but this was sort of "muddy". I don't know, just very unnatural unless sheered out so much coverage was lost. If you can get the color right, a dry skin might have success.

For $50, not worth fixing with extra chromatic drops, powder, and magical unicorn primer that plays well with it. Sad I spent my $$$.

on 2/26/2016 5:06:00 PM

Since a lot of people have explained the product in detail, I will just add a few pointers based on my experience.

Color:
(NC15, ELDW 1W1, MUFE HD 117, LM original Silk Creme Soft Ivory)
Porcelain 0 was the closest match but still slightly dark/muddy. It's within the "wearable" range, though, especially with highlighter, concealer, and/or powder.

Coverage:
I agree with other MUAers who said this has almost TM-like coverage. In my experience it was not very buildable at all, when tried with fingers, BB sponge, and RT EFB/buffing brushes using stippling, buffing, and/or patting motions. I used a lot of product to build layers but the pigment just dissipates. The "muddiness" from the color, however, increases.

Texture:
(Normal skin, drier in winter, oilier in summer, not breakout prone, just a tiny bit of pore issues, no lines/wrinkles)
It really doesn't help with the texture at all. It will seep into pores (mine aren't even that visible without makeup), accentuate dry areas, and give a generally uneven appearance. I tried this with primers with smooth silicone-based texture, cream-like consistency, and thick mousse-like texture. Same thing each time.

I'm sure there are skin types/needs that are compatible with what this product has to offer, but based on my skin type and coloring, this performed far below expectations especially considering the price. I recommend getting a sample and really figuring out how it works on your skin before committing to the full size product.

on 11/27/2015 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I wanted to love this product, I really did. Had such high hopes. In my honest opinion, you could do better with Make Up Forever HD Foundation. This product did not hold up at all. The price was steep, and for not so great results. Coverage wasn't great.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the worst foundation I have ever tried. I don't even have dry skin, but it made my skin look dry and patchy. I normally have combination skin with oiliness in the t-zone and normal skin on the cheeks. Ironically, this foundation made my t-zone look DRY with patches all over. I felt embarrassed mid-day to run errands or do anything. I didn't want anyone looking at me. That's how horrible I felt with this disgusting foundation. It feels heavy, yet doesn't provide good coverage. It makes me look like I don't exfoilate or moisturize my skin when this is so not the case. I'm very disappointed in this foundation and embarrassed at how I looked today. I couldn't wait to get home and remove this crap from my face.

This foundation is the worst I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot of foundations). After literally one hour it started to slide off my face and settled into pores. I have a slightly oily t zone and normal everywhere else but this made me look like my face was sliding off. I would rather wear no foundation than wear this. Not worth the money and I paid £50! complete rip off.

on 7/23/2015 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

There's a lot to like about Hourglass in general, but I'm not in like with Veil Fluid.

Veil Fluid is a very thick liquid which doesn't run easily. It's heavily pigmented and upon application, gives medium-to-full coverage right off the bat, so if you prefer fuller coverage foundations, this will be up your alley. If not, you could use a Beautyblender to sheer it out, but the sheerest I was able to get it is towing the line between light to medium coverage, so if you are looking for something light--this is not the one for you.

Upon application, it is heavy. You can feel it on your face while you wear it all day, and it definitely transfers. Even lightly scratching my face, I would wind up with foundation under my nails. It gives a dewy finish, but it does not emphasize dry patches on the skin, nor did it break me out when I tried samples of it. For those that are looking into cruelty-free, high-end options, this product is vegan. It also wore well throughout the day, no issues with it wearing off, but it does tend to take on a very dewy/greasy looking appearance at the end of the day.

The packaging is very lovely, though. A weighty bottle with simplistic packaging, however, I don't like that it doesn't give you an idea for how much product is left inside. It also contains SPF 15, which is something I'm not fond of in foundations. No one ever wears enough of it to confer actual protection and it tends to cause flashback in pictures.

My last quibble over the product is that the shade range is limited. The lightest shade is definitely a cool yellow (yay!), but going forward, the undertones are a little wonky. For whatever reason, although 0 (Porcelain, which I'd put at ~NC10-15) is neutral/yellow, the next yellow undertoned shade is allegedly 3 (Sand), which is a huge jump (and when I tested it in store, it definitely did not seem to have yellow undertones). In addition to this, there are limited options for POCs as well.

Overall, I didn't have an entirely bad experience with this foundation, but it wasn't one that fit me, ymmv.

Pros:

- Medium-to-full coverage (with Beautyblender); full coverage (fingers or brush) (for those that are looking for this)
- Vegan/cruelty-free
- Did not cause break outs
- Does not emphasize flakes
- Beautiful packaging

Cons:

- Feels very heavy
- Takes on greasy appearance at end of day
- Transfers easily
- Weird and limited color offerings/undertone classifications
- Cannot be sheered to light coverage
- Potentially might cause flashback due to SPF (which doesn't give adequate sun protection in any case)

on 7/11/2015 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This foundation doesn't give me the nice finish I want. I'm currently experimenting with different moisturizers and serums to see if I can get the satin finish it promises. I'm not sure I want to keep it but because it's fragrance free (and I'm sensitive to perfumes ever since I used a retinol product almost a year ago) I keep trying to make it work. The Ivory color is not quite right either. It's too dark for my light neutral complexion, even for summer, so I'm mixing it with a bit of my Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk, which is a lighter shade. The two formulations seem compatible and the color is much better with a bit of the lighter GA (which I wear in the wintertime) mixed in. I use the Veil with the HG Mineral primer but the primer does nothing to fill in or minimize my pores, even when I let it dry. So I'm totally on the fence about the foundation and am considering returning it to Sephora. I wouldn't really recommend this foundation if you have any issues with fine lines or large pores because it seems to seep into these crevices even with the Mineral primer underneath. If I return it, I think I will just order the GA in a color that's a little darker than the one I have. I love the finish of the GA and it truly does make my skin look luminous (but without shimmer). So all in all, I have mixed feelings about this HG foundation. It's taking far too much work to make it look nice. Foundation is so important so I don't want to waste the $60 this foundation costs by just tossing into my drawer of product FAILS. If I change my mind or decide to definitely return it, I will update this review. Sorry to be so vague but it's one of those much raved about products that hasn't totally worked out for me. I keep thinking there's something I'm doing wrong. But maybe it just isn't meant to be.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

As i love the hourglass primer, i thiught i might love their fiundation. I tried the veil foundation. Very expensive, nice packaging, i found the colors very orange. I got #1 ivory. As a nw20/nc30 i was surorised. the ivory was very orange. Undeterred i smoothed it on and it looked great. Peachy but great. Beautuful pretty finish, smooth, no highlighting flaws, i was pleased. It lasted very well, full day with no tiuch ups.
Trying to get a better color, i tried 1.5 nude. I think i reacted with it as my forehead broke out. If this works for you, its beautiful. For me, way too orange and sensitivity issues.

on 4/6/2015 10:27:00 AM

I bought this foundation from Mecca a few days ago in the shade beige which is a perfect match for my skin tone. The packaging is retarded it comes out on a stick, like a lipgloss applicator but no sponge on the end. The consistency of the foundation is really nice and soft and a tiny amount goes a long way which is great considering the price you pay! Coverage is pretty good I think it's like a medium coverage and quite a dewy finish, still looks nice after a few hours. So far no skin issues with this foundation