DIY Crystal Rock Deodorant

No Image

3.5

I have Lyme disease and because of that, my skin is ULTRA sensitive to most things! This is one deodorant that is just wonderful! I love how easy it is to apply. Just wet the stick and put it on..it's not a big pain for me! I know it's not as easy to use as "normal" deodorant..but it's worth it! I promise!

on 6/11/2014 4:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is a piece of rock crystal that you wet and apply after showering like a deodorant. You can get these at most health food stores for a few dollars and they last much longer than regular deodorant. However, most people probably throw them out before they ever use them up. Honestly when I was using this I thought I was part of some type of placebo study. These just don't work.

Update: I saw one of these in the drugstore. This one actually came in a push-up container instead of a little pouch. I decided to give it another try. Much to my surprise it worked. Maybe my body chemistry has changed or maybe I wasn't getting it wet enough before. All I know is I'm very pleased. Finally an affordable, natural deodorant, that actually works.

Update: Developed a serious skin irritation after a few weeks of using this. I had to go without deodorant for several days until it healed. I'm back using Almay Deodorant. Maybe I'm just not a natural deodorant type of person.

on 5/23/2006 1:59:00 PM

I used this back in high school, and I liked how it worked, but not the little tray you're supposed to keep it in. A few years later, and I've moved onto the Crystal Stick, basically because it has a lid. And I like that I can feel guilt-free, for both my sake (no chemicals to harm me) and no animal testing. Whoo!

on 5/23/2006 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I bought this from a health food store. It came in a black pouch with a rock and a small tray to place it on. I think it was around $6 and based on how little of it I have used, it is going to last for years. After I shower I wet it and rub it under both armpits. It works GREAT! If it is particularly hot, I shower twice a day and will use it twice. My husband has used this for years and I decided to give it a try after reading reports of how unhealthy Parabens are in cosmetics. I had been using health food store deodorants but was surprised to see that they all had parabens in them. This actually works better with no chemicals.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I'm surprised that anyone finds that this works--I guess maybe it just depends on one's individual body chemistry. This did nothing for me--and I mean nothing! I could have just as easily splashed water on my underarms, it was that useless. Also, if you drop the crystal, it will shatter. I want to be eco-friendly, but I have yet to find any more natural alternatives that work.

I've used crystal deodorant on and off for a few years now, and I do like it. I like that it lasts a REALLY long time and when used properly (right after showering) I've found it to be effective at eliminating body odor (but not perspiration). I like that it is natural, and I can take it on a plane without having to worry, not like liquid or aerosol products.

What I don't like about it is you can't really use it easily for touch-ups like you can with a traditional deodorant. If you already stink, it's too late to apply it, it won't do much to get rid of exisitng stink, it just stops you from stinking in the first place.

However, I probably won't be repurchasing. I have tried crystal stick deodorants 3 times, and each time, I end up dropping the stick and the crystal breaks, make it impossible or at least difficult to apply. So although the crystal itself might be good for 1 year or more, if you're clumsy like me you'll probably only get a few months out of it before it shatters on your bathroom floor.