MAC See Thru Lip Colour in Rose de Sheer

No Image

3.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I had bought this for use a few years ago for prom. I always had trouble with lipsticks looking natural and lip glosses... totally not natural.
I'm not the type of girl to be expected to do touch ups regularly so I was also looking for something to avoid doing that :}
The MUA helped me by testing this sort of stain on me & I really do like it. The color may look dark in the tube but, as the name says, it's see-through.

You can smooth this on as sheer as you want but it is even buildable! And it always looks natural. It gives a nice plump color to the lips, does not dry them out, nor makes them appear so. All I can do is repeat... "natural" but it is glamorous.

It is sort of like a more liquid gel and it takes a minute or so to dry. For the best look, cause it is like a stain, I recommend exfoliating the lips beforehand. You can use balm before or after as this lip color is really forgiving and easy to apply... I've experience NO spots, bleeding, uneveness, etc.

I'd say if you're unsure about lipstains, this is a good way to meet halfway... you'll get the perks while transitioning from glosses or lipsticks. The staying power however isn't that great and it fades away the more you use and move your lips for eating, drinking, and just as time goes on.
Sometimes I'll put it on just for fun around the house but it's not the best lipstain out there.

For beginners, this is a good place to start. But I won't buy this again for the fact it does not last and the price isn't worth it, to me.

This stain is really nice under sheer glosses. I get nice color without it being opaque. Worn alone it's makes me looks like my natural lip color only cuter. (I'm a N20, golden blonde with green eyes) The color is pink/berry. Under cellopink lipgelee it's really hot! You just have to be carefull to apply it evenly not to get any darker spots. It looks a bit coral in the tube but it isnt. This line has a cherry stain and a plum stain. I would really love to have a peach one!

on 6/10/2006 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Let me start by saying I love the formula of this stain. It is really the best stain formula I have come across. I love the light gel texture, slight vanilla smell, the lack of drying, and the applicator. The only thing I don't love: the color :-( In the tube, it looks like it has the potential to be a nice coral, but once it dries on my lips, it is nothing but pure fuschia. Being warm toned, I simply can't do pure, bright fuschia. Coral would be one thing but this developed into a flat ut pink. This was the least fuschia-looking of the 3 colors, so I can't imagine what the others would look like! Also, for some reason the color isn't even. It's like there are splotches of color in the middle of my lips... I wonder if my lips were more dry there, to begin with? I really don't want to, but I tried this twice and its going up for swap. At least it didn't represent a 100% unsuccesful trip to the MAC counter, 'cause I found Poppy Hop l/s that time too, which has become an instant fave!

Personally I just love this stain! It's a great berry color that another review stated gave that "just ate a popsicle" look. I concur. Yes it's drying but duh, that's what a stain is! It's not meant to moisturize but top it off w/ any l/g of your choice and it gives you a chance to be creative. I love it and can see myself wearing it whenever I don't feel like worrying about my lips all day. I just carry around l/g and I'm set. The first time I tried it, it lasted over 6 hours w/o budging, no lie!!! I did have to reapply my l/g but that just goes w/o saying (eating,talking,etc). Def recommend!!! Wish they had more colors from which to choose...found the others too dark for me.

on 6/16/2006 11:23:00 PM

Overall this is a nice color. I would have honestly wanted a little less bright pink, that's fine. As advertized, it does stay on well under glosses and other lip products and wears better. It just sort of looks a bit like you sucked on a lolly pop with a pink color to it. I haven't played with it too much but I'll update when I do.

To let you know, I bought with Valentine's LipGelee. This combo is nice. It would be better on someone a little younger than I am, but I like it anyway. It really defines my lips and makes the blue in my eyes stand out a little more (even behind my dork glasses).

I wish these stains came in more than just a few colors. I'd love something neurtral-pink or peach to go below my glosses regularly.

UPDATE: I discovered something - this tint likes to bunch up on my lips around the edges. It's fairly annoying. I'm removing a lippy for it. I unfairly blamed this on the lip gelee I bought with it, but I tried Valentine by itself yesterday and loved it.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I like this stain. I had been wanting to try benetint but didn't like the applicator and it was too expensive/too much product for me. This is great! It's a corally berry color, very cool color. i was hoping it would be a little more neutral. For a more peach color i'm going to try The Balm Stainiac in Homecoming Queen. This stain doesn't last well through eating, but through everything else it's a long laster: talking, drinking, sleeping. I really like to put it on for hanging out with my BF because he doesn't like kissing me with lipstick or gloss on. So i wear this with chapstick or lipbalm and it's perfect. A little color that doesn't kiss off on to him. i bought goldensoft lipgelee to go over it and that warms it up well.

on 5/23/2006 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I'm always looking for lip stains and was excited to see MAC's new See Thru Lip Colour. I tried Rose de Sheer which is a pink/berry stain which is not too bright. Not exactly the color I was looking for because it's a little too berry and not enough pink. It's very wet when first applied and then dries to a just ate a popsicle look. It wears off in a short amount of time so it's barely a "stain." The tube is cute and portable and the sponge applicator feels nice. Price is average. I would not re-purchase this color because I found TheBalm Stainiacs in Homecoming Queen and Prom Queen(similiar stain-better colors for me).

on 5/25/2006 10:04:00 PM

I have never tried a stain before and was curious when this came out. At first I was not too sure if I would like it. To my delight, I love it. The shade is a pretty berry color. It is very easy to apply and dries to a beautiful redish color. I found that it lasted most of the day on me. The only complaint I had was my lips were dry one day and the stain dried darker where my lips were dry. Other than that, it is a fab product, especially for summer. I can't wait to try the other ones.

Popular Lips Products