DevaCurl Low Poo

DevaCurl Low Poo

3.2

Aqueous Extracts of: Achilea Millefolium, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Cymbopogon Schoenanthus, Humulus Lupulus (Hops), Melissa Offcinalis (Balm Mint), Rosmarinus Offcinalis (Rosemary), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, PEG-75 Lanolin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG-7 Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-10, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Polyquaternium-7, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance.

on 3/12/2018 1:11:00 AM

Unfortunately, I was glad to read that I am not the only one losing gobs of hair. I loved this product at first. I had used No-Poo and liked it so much I bought the 32. oz size. It made my curls defined and stayed that way. I liked that I didn't have to use a conditioner. It's been about a year and suddenly I was loosing so much hair it was noticeable. To detangle, I just pull my fingers through my hair. I had handfuls of hair coming out! Loose hair twisted around my finger was about a quarter size. I'm so bummed.

Why all the dissing idk?! I love deva products there’s not a miss in the entire line. I love low & no poo. I prefer low poo to no poo because it lathers a little better. Smells kind of weird. Citrusy. I have 2B/2C hair & im CG except hairspray I love deva’s lineup. My hair feels clean. I don’t have to wash for 5 days after I use it. It perks up my curls. I use 1 Condition w it. My hair isn’t over stripped nor like straw. I don’t lose hair more than any other product. I don’t really lose hair in the shower it’s in my comb (I don’t brush my hair a lot I use a wide tooth comb). #winning

on 12/30/2017 5:52:00 PM

THIRD TIME AND OUT
This was my third time in the past seven years trying the entire DevaCurl line, including this awful "shampoo" and I'm done with it for good. April, 2017 growing out my 3A naturally curly hair and my stylist told me the products were reformulated and improved, so I bit and bought what she had used to wash and style my hair. Everything was fine for about three months, except that I noticed that I was shedding more and more hair in the shower. I have dark hair that, as I gently massaged Low Poo (or No Poo) into my scalp, came out wrapped around my fingers so much that I had to keep rinsing the hair down the drain to be able to move my fingers apart. I was trying not to freak out, but I kept asking my stylist about the hair loss and she just shrugged and said it's because my hair was getting longer and my natural curl was getting enhanced and that's why my shower drain was plugged with gobs (I'm talking CHUNKS) of hair and that I was probably just losing the normal 150 hairs per day.

So, like an idiot, I kept right on using the Deva products, while my hair started to slowly lose its curl and get dryer and more brittle. I gave up hair dryers, started piling on the Deva deep conditioners (RUN from them!), tried the special Micellular buildup cleanser from Devacurl, started taking prescription meds and vitamins for hair health....more hair falling out, more dry, frizzy hair. I was now using FIVE styling products just to get my hair to curl and not frizz up, washing 2x per week, continually buying into the DevaCurl scam (I mean dream).

So about two weeks ago I wash my hair, deep condition it, style it, and no matter what I do it's a crispy, parched mess. I pick up the gerbil-sized pile of hair out of the drain to flush down the toilet and suddenly have the urge to really LOOK and roughly COUNT how many I had lost. At 900, I lost count. Not all the hair had roots; many were tiny hairs that seemed to have just broken off. The next day my best friend came by and I asked her if she could help me smooth my hair in back with some shea butter and scrunch it if she could. Well guess what? My hair was so brittle it broke off in her fingers. I heard the crunching then a SNAP sound and turned around to see my friend standing with the ends of my hair in her hands, looking at me in shock and horror.

So naturally it was the Saturday before Christmas, the day before Christmas eve day, and all the salons were closed except (thank heavens!) for the salon at the local J.C. Penney store. I begged a stylist to help save my hair. She had to trim off A LOT to get rid of the damage-I lost about 2-3". My ends were a frazzled mess of all different lengths and months and months of hair growth wound up on the salon floor. Honestly, the poor girl did the best she could. I asked her to cut it dry to allow for "shrinkage" and just to check the ends for evenness once she had washed it. My hair literally crackled as she struggled to cut it into a decent shape and style, while not leaving me with bald spots. A quick shampoo and then a bonding treatment (FHI) and my hair looked and felt 1000X better! Back to good old Biolage products I went. My friend took my bathroom full of liters of Devacurl shampoos, conditioners, and styling products to a women's shelter. I feel guilty for inflicting these products on those women who have already endured so much...

I washed my hair again today with Biolage shampoo and deep conditioned with Part 3 of the bonding line. My hair is finally soft again and I'm pleased to say that my drain hardly had any hair in it. Yes, I know, my hair is shorter so it would look like less hair, but I counted...and I only lost 30 hairs, down from 900. I have NO doubt in my mind that DevaCurl products, including this Low Poo, contributed to my hair loss, despite my periodically removing the product buildup from my scalp and hair. For those of you for whom these products are HG status, I congratulate you. I've blown at least $2000 on this crap and now I'm certain it's not for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'll never waste money on this again.

This product was ok - but only ok, nothing special - as a supplement to regular shampoo. I used it alongside my regular gentle shampoo for about 6mos but didn't like it any more than alternating shampoo with co-washing. I thought it was really overpriced for that, particularly considering the basic packaging and the cheap, cloying scent.

Then my stylist encouraged me to use it full time and eliminate the shampoo. That's where the trouble began. After about a month of using the Deva low poo exclusively, I had developed an itchy scalp with big oily flakes of scalp skin easily visible in my hair. I didn't think it could be the low poo since I'd previously used it. But after about 6-8 weeks, I had also developed a scalpful of painful, cystic breakouts - all over the scalp and hairline. I switched back to my regular shampoo and cowash and it all went away after about a month. I think the low poo a) doesn't clean well and b) creates loads of buildup. So it was ok when I had a regular shampoo in the rotation but a disaster on its own.

I gave this 2 lippies overall because it's passable as a way to use regular shampoo less frequently (my hair is too fine to only co wash) but, even for that, it just is not worth the cost.

For reference: 3A, fine, low porosity, low density

on 3/1/2017 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I used this for tow months on my frizzy/wavy/curly fine hair, and I can tell you that it's a completely horrific product. Avoid at all costs. My hair is now absolutely parched. It's dull with no shine, and made me break out on my scalp and around my hairline. My scalp and hair were also greasy the day after washing, which doesn't usually happen, and the style falls out after a day. The day after washing with this, I look as if I haven't done anything to my hair for a week. I've been going round looking dreadful at work, which has been really embarrassing.

Worst shampoo ever. My hair is like STRAW.

Same experience with the DevaCurl One Condition and Heavenly Hair Mask. I have no idea how they get away with making such horrendously bad products.

I love this product! Granted, I've only used it once (this morning), but I'm really pleased with the result. I used it conjunction with the light defining gel and one condition conditioner. I have wavy, hard to control, frizzy, dry...etc hair. It's dark brown, but I dyed it blonde a year ago and it is still recovering. Its quite long as well, half way down my back. I had been using OGX Moroccan oil shampoo/conditioner, which worked really well for a month or so. I traded it in for more drugstore products, but I really wanted to get away from using so many products in my hair. (curl creme, serum, mouse, oil, moisture spray, and then hair spray on top of it all, and keeping it braided at night to keep the frizz down!)
So I splurged on this line last night, with the reassurance I could return it if it didn't work out.
I think using all the products together is really important. There are some great youtube videos on how to apply the conditioner and gel. I would have been lost trying to put gel in my hair in the shower without some instruction first.
My hair dried with lovely touchable, soft, Botticelli curls! No frizz, and no tangles. I would recommend any lost curly/wavy ladies give this a try.
It is pricey, but considering I pick up something new to try in hopes that it will work every time I go to the store, it's really not that bad. Oh I dried my hair with a tee shirt too, I think that helped a bit too :)

on 5/25/2016 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This shampoo is a huge nope for my naturally curly hair!!

The pros for me are-the fruity dreamsicle scent,makes my curls pop & doesn't dry out my scalp.

The cons-After 3 washes I'm already halfway through the bottle and I have to use a lot of the shampoo just to make my hair feel clean. This does lather up easily but working it through my hair is hard and I don't have a huge mass of hair lol but I have to always use more shampoo. After shampooing with this I have knot city wich is something I usually don't experience with any od my other shampoos wether theyre sulfate free or not. I use this with the DevaCare One Condition and detangling was still a nightmare and again something that I normally don't experience.

This along with the conditioner make my hair feel extremely dried out wich is so disappointing because my hair looks great it just doesn't feel it. At 1st I thought it was the DevaCurl styling products causing the dryness so I used my other non DevaCurl styling products and still got the same dryness...I used the DevaCurl styling products when using other sulfate and sulfate free shampoos and conditioners and didn't experience the dryness at all it was a total opposite.

Whatever is in this shampoo (and conditioner) my hair hates.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Meh.

This product is just okay in my opinion. I bought the huge pump bottle from a friend who got it from a wholesaler so I paid $35 CAD for the salon size. I've been reading about DevaCurl FOREVER on the Naturally Curly boards and was mega-stoked to see it in Vancouver salons. It's pretty expensive ($30 for the small sized bottle) so I was happy to get it at the wholesale price. I purchased this with One Condition.

I didn't mind the smell, it was pretty pleasant. I don't know how to describe it. Not fruity, maybe a bit floral perfume-y.

It lathers up way more than I thought it would and gives a good clean. It leaves my hair feeling manageable, soft, and tangle-free. It rinses out clean. However, I'm not stoked on it. I use natural and drug store brand shampoos for a third of the price and get similar if not better results.

I wouldn't repurchase this product. It's fancy, but not worth it.

I was hoping it wasn't this product but I started using DevaCurl Products back in March and I noticed my hair started falling out in clumps - I mean handfuls in one wash! At first I just thought it was getting use to the whole CG method but it hadn't stopped - Last week I decided I wanted to go back and try the WEN I was using - used it for a week and my hair stopped falling out - ok - still, thought maybe it was just getting use to everything - started using DevaCurl products again and guess what, my hair started falling out in clumps again. So guess I won't be using their products again -

on 11/29/2014 1:51:00 PM

I really had high expectations for this. I've been using DevaCurl's Styling Creme and Gel for a while and LOVE them, so I figured, why not try their Low-Poo? Big mistake. While it smells nice, and has a slight lather (more than I expected, actually), it left my hair feeling like slightly slimy straw. I also was left with a HUGE matted clump in the back (I didn't wash my hair any differently than usual. I gently squeeze the suds through the hair). I have never had any shampoo leave my hair in such awful shape.