Ion Color Brilliance

Ion Color Brilliance

3.9

10 Volume Developer Ingredients: Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Fragrance, Cetrimonium Chloride, Ethoxydiglycol, Disodium Pyrophosphate, Methylparaben, Oxyquinoline Sulfate, Simethicone, Phosphoric Acid, Glycerin, Wheat Germ Protein. Liquid Permanent Hair Color Ingredients: Laureth-3, Water, Alcohol Denat., Propylene Glycol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Oleic Acid, Ammonia, Fragrance, Ethanolamine, Sodium Sulfite, Erythorbic Acid, Lauryl Alcohol, Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-15 Cocopolyamine, Myristyl Alcohol, TBHQ, Glycerin, Wheat Germ Protein. May Contain: 1-Naphthol, 2,4-Diaminophenoxyethanol HCI, 2-Amino-3-Hydroxypyridine, 2-Methyl-5-Hydroxyethylaminophenol, 2-Methylresorcinol, 4-Amino-2-Hydroxytoluene, 4-Chlororesorcinol, 5-Amino-6-Chloro-o-Cresol, m-Aminophenol, N,N-Bis(2-Hydroxyethyl)-p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate, p-Aminophenol, p-Methylaminophenol Sulfate, p-Phenylenediamine, Phenyl Methyl Pyrazolone, Resorcinol, Toluene-2,5-Diamine Sulfate.

on 3/1/2018 2:04:00 PM

This is the worst hair color I have ever used on my hair and I have colored it for 25 years. I normally use Loreal Mega Brown shades but wanted to try something different and Ion was on sale so I bought a permanent dark warm copper blonde (can't remember the exact one) and used 20 developer mainly to touch up gray roots. First of all, when I mixed it, the bowl looked like strawberry yogurt and it actually scared me a little, but thought it had to change colors on my hair, so planned to keep a close eye on it as it developed. It did change slightly but my scalp burned like crazy. In addition, there wasn't even enough color to coat my above the shoulder length hair! I left it on 30 minutes because that was all i could handle of my burning scalp. After it was washed out, my hair actually did have shades of red/pink blotches which was not at all what I wanted. Also the color faded to almost nothing after a couple of washes.....horrible stuff! Needless to say the whole process was a bad, bad, bad experience and I returned the other 2 tubes that I purchased. I picked up a bottle of Wella Color Charm and tried it about 4 weeks later and got beautiful results. My recommendation is DON'T waste your time or money on Ion hair color sold at Sally....that product is a joke!

on 2/1/2018 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I have been trying to find the perfect copper color to put on my bleached blonde hair that will cover evenly and not wash out quickly. I'm very happy with this Ion product. I I got it from Sallys. I mixed demi Dark copper Blonde 6 rc with equal parts of demi light Golden blonde 9 g and mixed it with equal parts of 10 volume Ion developer, Applied it to dry hair and left it on for 25 minutes. I really like the color and it left my hair soft and shiny. Beautiful even coverage from root to end. I'm very happy with this product and will use it again! I posted a few photos above.

on 12/23/2017 3:34:00 PM

I recently moved to a new city and tried a salon. I came out of it very, very unsatisfied - my grey wasn't 100% covered and the blow-out wasn't anything to write home about. I paid my $180 and decided that I might was well color it myself because for that price it probably couldn't get worse. I went to Sally's and bought Ion 3G and tried it at home. I left it on for 30 minutes (next time I'll do 45) and I love the results. I will still need to find a salon for my cut but this was a great option for color at home. I used it with a 10 developer in equal amounts to the color creme and applied only at my roots with a brush.

I am very happy with the results. It has low ammonia and it did not irritate my scalp like salon color sometimes does. My hair feels soft and thicker - for reference I have very fine, thin, shoulder length, stick straight hair that is a medium brown and am probably about 50% grey (which started showing up when I was 20) on the top of my head but mostly brown elsewhere. My grey tends to be color resistant.

This is a definite repurchase for me. I am giving it a 4 only because if I had left it on for 20 minutes like they recommend it would not have covered my grey. But this is better than drugstore and not any more expensive. Also I love the convenience of coloring my hair when I want to at home.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I love almost everything Ion has made, but especially there Permanent, Demi-Permant, & Semi-Permanent hair color. It's all good

on 3/6/2017 8:16:00 PM

This Ion is a demi-perm color: and, NOT meant to be used by any other developer than a 10%..--.to do so is really courting an unexpected result. Maybe this will help those who have done so? I'm no stranger to bad results (because of not adhering to instructions!) lol.

Adding on, after time: I have ONLY used this with a 10% Ion developer for a very short amount of time (like 15 minutes, ) however, even with this, and reading instructions as far a 'adding color", "refreshing" etc , this was enough, (in a lighter color than my own virgin color, but darker than my bleached highlights) to LIFT my virgin color (level 6) to an orangey shade. Irony is: I used it to tone down my bleached highlights and used it all over my head. It DID tone down the highlights, but in lightening up my cool virgin color to BRASSY, the whole endeavor was a disaster....Now, I lose my natural cool virgin hair and am angry after waiting over a year for it to grow out.....Beware: do not use this on your virgin hair you want to preserve. It may affect it adversely...

on 8/18/2016 1:27:00 PM

Like an idiot I have tried this brand more than once. It is always way too dark. Like 2+ shades too dark every time.

6WR is the only one I ever liked mixed with 7NN to get dark brown (level 4.5 to 5) once it fades after two weeks. Yes, I really mean DARK brown But very pretty.

Tried 8G a long time ago hate it. Stripped my hair color from 5 to a 7g.... then put on 8N with 20 volume..... Hair turned out a 5 again... SERIOUSLY????? Never again I am done with this brand. I went to cosmetology school (in another state I am not licensed in my state now). It isn't that I don't know what I am doing. It is that a lot of this line sucks.

About my natural hair: 2N-3N in color, straight, thick, fine

I've been coloring my hair for almost 10 years with different products. I tried drugstore brands (Revlon Colorsilk, Garnier, Nice n Easy, etc), professional brands (Matrix, Redken, Kenra), and various brands from Sally (Wella, L'Oreal Excellence, AgeBeautiful, Clairol). I have to say that Ion is hands down my favorite. No matter what brand I try, I seem to find myself going back to Ion. Without making this review too long, I'll just get to the reasons why I like Ion over other brands:

1) The LARGE range of shades. I've gone from jet black, auburn, strawberry blonde, chocolate brown, golden brown ... they pretty much have any shade you'd like.
2) The undertones in these are intense. I've used hair dyes from other brands with a R undertone, and I felt like you could kiiiinda see the red in them. With Ion, the undertones are very apparent, which makes the overall color seem vibrant.
3) The cream formula is thick. Most cream formulas I've tried end up being liquidy. Because of that, coloring would be a mess. I think the thicker cream does take some time with spreading out the color evenly, but it isn't anything too bad.
4) It's pretty damn cheap. I think most, if not all, shades come in 4 oz of product (originally was 2 oz) and each are $5.79 with card & $6.49 without. I believe that's one of the cheapest hair colors at Sally's, but don't let the price fool you!
5) It never further dries out my hair. I say that because I do bleach with every non-black hair color I use and I use Sally's cheapo Salon Care developers. I'm certain that the bleach is drying, and I'm sure that the developer isn't doing anything to retain moisture in my hair. The Ion colors have always left my hair in relatively good condition, though I think the before/after treatments help with that too.

Go get yourself a Sally's card and getchu some.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used to use The One N Only Argan Oil Cream Permanent hair color in blackest black. The color was rich and made my hair so soft/shiny. I then bleached a portion of my hair and put a purple color from the same brand in. A few weeks later when the purple faded I decided to go black all over again and used the same shade/brand as before. My whole head kept the black really well but it slipped off the blonde within the first two washes and I was stuck with horrible brassy pieces. I went in search of a new brand of black to ensure that the blonde would cover this time. I had a horrible experience with the Ion Color Brilliance Brights but I went with this Ion Color Brilliance Cream Permanent hair color in jet black at the recommendation of a sales associate. I got the cream instead of the liquid because it's less messy and more conditioning for my hair. The ratio was 1:1 and required a level 10 developer since I was just evening out my already black hair color. The bottle I got came with 2 more ounces of hair color than the original bottles. The bottle itself is super hard and metal like so getting every last bit of hair color out was a major pain. Once I colored and rinsed it out my hair was so dark! Every one here on mua says that the color turns out darker than they would like but in my case it was a big plus. The blonde frizzy pieces were now super shiny/sleek and everything looked so beautiful. My hair was still kept very smooth and didn't feel fried at all.

on 7/11/2016 8:31:00 PM

I was very skeptical to highlight my own hair since I turned it green once, yellowish once, and have had hair break off. Wanted to save a few bucks so I purchased the Ion permanent ash blonde color and the developer recommended from the sales associate and I am so overally impressed it was easy and turned out perfect!!! As long as it does not dry it out and cause any breakage I am completely extatic!!!

This hair color is NOT good for use with level 10 developers. I bought the shade 8N Light blonde (Trying to go back to my natural ligh/medium blonde hair color) and used it with a lvl 10 developer. I orginally started with a lvl 12 blonde hair color so I figured going a little darker would be real easy.

...well my hair is basically medium brown now....and its not even a very neutral color theres a lot of redness to this shade making my hair more brown than blonde. It looks fine I guess but its not really what I was looking for at all. Since I used lvl 10 developer it should wash out in a few months so I can try it again with a different brand (probably going to try the clairol soy4plex at sallys, ive always had true to shade results with that one...i dont know why i even tried this ion brand ugh..).

Bleh. Its quite the shock going from a lvl 12 blond to what looks like a level 5 brown when I wanted a lvl 8 *huff*

If you are trying to do any of the blonde shades DO NOT USE THIS just go to wella or clairol professional instead.

Popular Hair Color Products