Ion Color Brilliance

Ion Color Brilliance
Color BrillianceEnter TitleColor Brilliance

3.9

10 Volume Developer Ingredients: Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Fragrance, Cetrimonium Chloride, Ethoxydiglycol, Disodium Pyrophosphate, Methylparaben, Oxyquinoline Sulfate, Simethicone, Phosphoric Acid, Glycerin, Wheat Germ Protein. Liquid Permanent Hair Color Ingredients: Laureth-3, Water, Alcohol Denat., Propylene Glycol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Oleic Acid, Ammonia, Fragrance, Ethanolamine, Sodium Sulfite, Erythorbic Acid, Lauryl Alcohol, Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-15 Cocopolyamine, Myristyl Alcohol, TBHQ, Glycerin, Wheat Germ Protein. May Contain: 1-Naphthol, 2,4-Diaminophenoxyethanol HCI, 2-Amino-3-Hydroxypyridine, 2-Methyl-5-Hydroxyethylaminophenol, 2-Methylresorcinol, 4-Amino-2-Hydroxytoluene, 4-Chlororesorcinol, 5-Amino-6-Chloro-o-Cresol, m-Aminophenol, N,N-Bis(2-Hydroxyethyl)-p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate, p-Aminophenol, p-Methylaminophenol Sulfate, p-Phenylenediamine, Phenyl Methyl Pyrazolone, Resorcinol, Toluene-2,5-Diamine Sulfate.

on 3/6/2017 8:16:00 PM

This Ion is a demi-perm color: and, NOT meant to be used by any other developer than a 10%..--.to do so is really courting an unexpected result. Maybe this will help those who have done so? I'm no stranger to bad results (because of not adhering to instructions!) lol.

on 8/18/2016 1:27:00 PM

Like an idiot I have tried this brand more than once. It is always way too dark. Like 2+ shades too dark every time.

6WR is the only one I ever liked mixed with 7NN to get dark brown (level 4.5 to 5) once it fades after two weeks. Yes, I really mean DARK brown But very pretty.

Tried 8G a long time ago hate it. Stripped my hair color from 5 to a 7g.... then put on 8N with 20 volume..... Hair turned out a 5 again... SERIOUSLY????? Never again I am done with this brand. I went to cosmetology school (in another state I am not licensed in my state now). It isn't that I don't know what I am doing. It is that a lot of this line sucks.

About my natural hair: 2N-3N in color, straight, thick, fine

I've been coloring my hair for almost 10 years with different products. I tried drugstore brands (Revlon Colorsilk, Garnier, Nice n Easy, etc), professional brands (Matrix, Redken, Kenra), and various brands from Sally (Wella, L'Oreal Excellence, AgeBeautiful, Clairol). I have to say that Ion is hands down my favorite. No matter what brand I try, I seem to find myself going back to Ion. Without making this review too long, I'll just get to the reasons why I like Ion over other brands:

1) The LARGE range of shades. I've gone from jet black, auburn, strawberry blonde, chocolate brown, golden brown ... they pretty much have any shade you'd like.
2) The undertones in these are intense. I've used hair dyes from other brands with a R undertone, and I felt like you could kiiiinda see the red in them. With Ion, the undertones are very apparent, which makes the overall color seem vibrant.
3) The cream formula is thick. Most cream formulas I've tried end up being liquidy. Because of that, coloring would be a mess. I think the thicker cream does take some time with spreading out the color evenly, but it isn't anything too bad.
4) It's pretty damn cheap. I think most, if not all, shades come in 4 oz of product (originally was 2 oz) and each are $5.79 with card & $6.49 without. I believe that's one of the cheapest hair colors at Sally's, but don't let the price fool you!
5) It never further dries out my hair. I say that because I do bleach with every non-black hair color I use and I use Sally's cheapo Salon Care developers. I'm certain that the bleach is drying, and I'm sure that the developer isn't doing anything to retain moisture in my hair. The Ion colors have always left my hair in relatively good condition, though I think the before/after treatments help with that too.

Go get yourself a Sally's card and getchu some.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used to use The One N Only Argan Oil Cream Permanent hair color in blackest black. The color was rich and made my hair so soft/shiny. I then bleached a portion of my hair and put a purple color from the same brand in. A few weeks later when the purple faded I decided to go black all over again and used the same shade/brand as before. My whole head kept the black really well but it slipped off the blonde within the first two washes and I was stuck with horrible brassy pieces. I went in search of a new brand of black to ensure that the blonde would cover this time. I had a horrible experience with the Ion Color Brilliance Brights but I went with this Ion Color Brilliance Cream Permanent hair color in jet black at the recommendation of a sales associate. I got the cream instead of the liquid because it's less messy and more conditioning for my hair. The ratio was 1:1 and required a level 10 developer since I was just evening out my already black hair color. The bottle I got came with 2 more ounces of hair color than the original bottles. The bottle itself is super hard and metal like so getting every last bit of hair color out was a major pain. Once I colored and rinsed it out my hair was so dark! Every one here on mua says that the color turns out darker than they would like but in my case it was a big plus. The blonde frizzy pieces were now super shiny/sleek and everything looked so beautiful. My hair was still kept very smooth and didn't feel fried at all.

on 7/11/2016 8:31:00 PM

I was very skeptical to highlight my own hair since I turned it green once, yellowish once, and have had hair break off. Wanted to save a few bucks so I purchased the Ion permanent ash blonde color and the developer recommended from the sales associate and I am so overally impressed it was easy and turned out perfect!!! As long as it does not dry it out and cause any breakage I am completely extatic!!!

This hair color is NOT good for use with level 10 developers. I bought the shade 8N Light blonde (Trying to go back to my natural ligh/medium blonde hair color) and used it with a lvl 10 developer. I orginally started with a lvl 12 blonde hair color so I figured going a little darker would be real easy.

...well my hair is basically medium brown now....and its not even a very neutral color theres a lot of redness to this shade making my hair more brown than blonde. It looks fine I guess but its not really what I was looking for at all. Since I used lvl 10 developer it should wash out in a few months so I can try it again with a different brand (probably going to try the clairol soy4plex at sallys, ive always had true to shade results with that one...i dont know why i even tried this ion brand ugh..).

Bleh. Its quite the shock going from a lvl 12 blond to what looks like a level 5 brown when I wanted a lvl 8 *huff*

If you are trying to do any of the blonde shades DO NOT USE THIS just go to wella or clairol professional instead.

on 1/29/2016 8:52:00 PM

I purchased the Light Golden Mahogany Blonde with the 20 Sensitive developer. My hair is normally about a 5.5 with amber tones, which had been getting pretty crazy lately as I was using Wella Bronze Watercolors shampoo, as well as Fancifull's Frivolous Fawn and Hidden Gold washes. I'm also maybe 10 - 20% grey right at my crown and temples.
The Ion color I selected was rated at 8WR. In other brands, this is a very pale blond, and with the 20 lift, I was wondering how light I would end up.
Easy to mix and apply with an applicator bottle, I used 2 oz of each and had plenty to cover my thick, shoulder blade length hair. Let it cook for about 40 minutes.
When I first combed the wet hair, it had a LOT of red and gold right at the crown, but the rest of the hair looked flat brown, much darker. As it dried, it still had nearly an ombre' appearance, but now that it is entirely dry, I have to say it is settling in nicely. All the grey that had dye on it is covered.
My hair is now a bit deeper, closer to my natural 5, with more subtle gold and red tones throughout.
For the price, I'll probably use this again. Maybe lighter for summer.... It's hard to tell because the dye samples are done on synthetic hair, which grabs the color differently than natural hair.

on 12/5/2015 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

One of the few times mua has led me astray; i'm shocked at the good reviews for this hair color, it's not good. This is the first time i've used any color from Sally's (where i bought it). I got the "Creme" version, not the liquid version that's also available. I used the "light brown 5n" color, with 30 volume developer (my natural color is dark brown with about 30 % gray). I wanted a shade of brown a little lighter than my normal color, not too much to ask is it? Not like i wanted blonde or even red, and didn't want to bleach or anything. I left it on for 45 minutes (the maximum time recommended). The color turned out dark brown, not even exaggerating it's darker than my natural color. And even with a reddish hue as well. Literally nothing "light brown" about this color. It's not multidimensional color either; it's a very flat, monotone color. And to top everything else off, it fried my hair! My hair was in much better shape before i colored it. One of the main complaints other reviewers had, that it was too thick and creamy to spread evenly, didn't bother me and wasn't an issue (i made sure to spend a lot of time mixing it though).The only good thing about this color is that it did cover my gray hair, but seeing as how i just colored it, there's no guarantee that it will last. Now i'm going to have to use Color Oops just to remove this witchy hair color, and then re-color etc. Don't make the same mistake i did :/

on 4/30/2015 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I didn't care much for this product... I got purple to touch up my previous sort of electric purple balayage that I got from a salon a while back, but this was a very lackluster shade (more of a dirty purple), not to mention it basically washed out after one shampoo. I also really disliked how pasty it was. I've heard that you can add conditioner to it to make it easier to apply, but I still think that because of the poor longevity I will not be buying this product again. I should have just bought the Pravana vivids purple which is what my stylist used, but I was impatient and picked the Ion purple up at Sally's. If you want lasting, high saturated pigments go with something else...

on 3/16/2015 9:44:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have used PPD free liquid Ion color in jet black for about a year now. I have very sensitive skin and have noticed ppd free dyes seem to not irritate my scalp (allergy maybe?). Ion liquid has been great! No stinging, no overwhelming smell, rinses out well, color lasts forever ( as a natural light red head that dyes their hair black, well, it can fade a little if the dye isn't potent enough). Sallys was out of the liquid. I bought the cream. I mixed it with the recommended developer and went to town on my 3 inch roots. It was like Elmers glue. Chunky clumpy unspreadable Elmers glue. I have very thick hair and have to occasionally use two bottles of the liquid ion if I go more than 2 months without doing my roots. It had been 3 months since I last dyed it. I bought three bottles today because it was on sale. I ended having to use all three bottles to do my roots because it was completely unable to spread through my hair. The color results were amazing and more potent than the liquid but I cannot recommend a dye, or use it again, that made me use three bottles because it was too hard to work with. I will use the liquid from now on.