Ion Color Brilliance

Ion Color Brilliance
Color BrillianceEnter TitleColor Brilliance

3.9

10 Volume Developer Ingredients: Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Fragrance, Cetrimonium Chloride, Ethoxydiglycol, Disodium Pyrophosphate, Methylparaben, Oxyquinoline Sulfate, Simethicone, Phosphoric Acid, Glycerin, Wheat Germ Protein. Liquid Permanent Hair Color Ingredients: Laureth-3, Water, Alcohol Denat., Propylene Glycol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Oleic Acid, Ammonia, Fragrance, Ethanolamine, Sodium Sulfite, Erythorbic Acid, Lauryl Alcohol, Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-15 Cocopolyamine, Myristyl Alcohol, TBHQ, Glycerin, Wheat Germ Protein. May Contain: 1-Naphthol, 2,4-Diaminophenoxyethanol HCI, 2-Amino-3-Hydroxypyridine, 2-Methyl-5-Hydroxyethylaminophenol, 2-Methylresorcinol, 4-Amino-2-Hydroxytoluene, 4-Chlororesorcinol, 5-Amino-6-Chloro-o-Cresol, m-Aminophenol, N,N-Bis(2-Hydroxyethyl)-p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate, p-Aminophenol, p-Methylaminophenol Sulfate, p-Phenylenediamine, Phenyl Methyl Pyrazolone, Resorcinol, Toluene-2,5-Diamine Sulfate.

on 10/27/2018 6:41:00 PM

I bought the 9v and 10v and Ion brand developer (20V). They were labeled as lightest ash blonde and light ash blonde. I pre-lightened my hair, to a level 9 then mixed each in its own bowl to alternate through the hair. There was ZERO ashing. neither bowl changed color from white solution, not even a teensy-tinsy shift change in a blue or violet direction. I left it on for a half hour, and still no change to the solution at all. Washed it out and my hair is the exact same color. Also, the color was tough to get out of the tube. It was thick and waxy and difficult to evenly blend into the developer. Bummed that I double-processed my hair for absolutely no gain/change/toning.

on 10/24/2018 1:04:00 PM

I used to use this brand all the time and loved it. Well, the last two times I have used this product it changed my hair really dark. I thought the first time was a fluke and tried again a second time and it did worse. I will never use this product again. Very disappointed.

on 8/24/2018 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a great product, the coloring process is very easy and straight forward, the color on box is accurate and i love the results. I have tried various red shades from L'Oréal, Clairol, and Wella. After reading so many negative reviews there are a lot of people that should not even be attempting to color at home, it's not rocket science. I think some people are expecting miracles from haircolor, expecting to get unreasonable results. If your hair is really, damaged, more then one color, or haor is the wrong color for color selected. It's har color not the I wish my hair was this color. Sometimes changing to a desired color is not something you can just decide to do one day, some color changes have to happen over time, or drastic measures like bleaching. There are steps for coloring your hair to get best results before you even apply the color. When choosing your hair color remember this you can not lighten dark hair without bleach, contrary to what many think 30 or 40 developer will not take dark to a lighter color, it won't work.no matter how much you wish it. And you should never go more then 1-2 shades lighter or darker. For the best results your hair should be shampooed 2-3 days before coloring, a clarifying shampoo is best, absolutely no conditioner or any product in your hair. The build up from conditioner or styling products can interfere with coloring. When you buying your color also get a product called nuetral protien filler this is the secret to an awesome dye job, even color application and no hot roots. The protein filler evens out the porosity of your hair, so your hair grabs and takes color easily..Apply the protein filler evenly through out your hair wait 30 minutes do not rinse out. Your hair will be wet, really damp dron the filler thats ok. Your hair color will go on much easier I promise. Mix color with developer, leave on for recommended time, make sure hair is saturated with color, leave on fot amount of time in directions, i do abour 30-35 minutes. When time is up add water to hair, work thru like its shampoo, then rinse til the water runs clear, rinse only do not shampoo, rinse until water rjns clear, it will run clear, i have hair down to mid back at most 10 minutes of rinsing its clear. Again do not shampoo your color will not last as long, i have never ever seen hair color instructions that say to shampoo hair after coloring..Once rinsing is complete condition freshly colored hair, use a good quality conditioner for colored hair. Leave conditioner on for at least 5 min, rjnse again, style as usual, hair color will be amazing, soft and shiny. Do not shampoo for at least 48 hours after coloring, the longer til your first shampoo the better. I always use red hair dyes, I have never had my color fade, i usually only have to touch up roots in about 4-6 week.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Neutral??? Then why do I heave auburn strands that were gray before I used 3nn? And please don't blame my hair, it's natural tone is cool. Never had such an experience with any 3nn color. I'm headed for a salon to get this red-toned mess covered up. Thanks for nothing but an expensive fiasco, Ion.

on 3/1/2018 2:04:00 PM

This is the worst hair color I have ever used on my hair and I have colored it for 25 years. I normally use Loreal Mega Brown shades but wanted to try something different and Ion was on sale so I bought a permanent dark warm copper blonde (can't remember the exact one) and used 20 developer mainly to touch up gray roots. First of all, when I mixed it, the bowl looked like strawberry yogurt and it actually scared me a little, but thought it had to change colors on my hair, so planned to keep a close eye on it as it developed. It did change slightly but my scalp burned like crazy. In addition, there wasn't even enough color to coat my above the shoulder length hair! I left it on 30 minutes because that was all i could handle of my burning scalp. After it was washed out, my hair actually did have shades of red/pink blotches which was not at all what I wanted. Also the color faded to almost nothing after a couple of washes.....horrible stuff! Needless to say the whole process was a bad, bad, bad experience and I returned the other 2 tubes that I purchased. I picked up a bottle of Wella Color Charm and tried it about 4 weeks later and got beautiful results. My recommendation is DON'T waste your time or money on Ion hair color sold at Sally....that product is a joke!

on 12/23/2017 3:34:00 PM

I recently moved to a new city and tried a salon. I came out of it very, very unsatisfied - my grey wasn't 100% covered and the blow-out wasn't anything to write home about. I paid my $180 and decided that I might was well color it myself because for that price it probably couldn't get worse. I went to Sally's and bought Ion 3G and tried it at home. I left it on for 30 minutes (next time I'll do 45) and I love the results. I will still need to find a salon for my cut but this was a great option for color at home. I used it with a 10 developer in equal amounts to the color creme and applied only at my roots with a brush.

I am very happy with the results. It has low ammonia and it did not irritate my scalp like salon color sometimes does. My hair feels soft and thicker - for reference I have very fine, thin, shoulder length, stick straight hair that is a medium brown and am probably about 50% grey (which started showing up when I was 20) on the top of my head but mostly brown elsewhere. My grey tends to be color resistant.

This is a definite repurchase for me. I am giving it a 4 only because if I had left it on for 20 minutes like they recommend it would not have covered my grey. But this is better than drugstore and not any more expensive. Also I love the convenience of coloring my hair when I want to at home.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I love almost everything Ion has made, but especially there Permanent, Demi-Permant, & Semi-Permanent hair color. It's all good

on 3/6/2017 8:16:00 PM

This Ion is a demi-perm color: and, NOT meant to be used by any other developer than a 10%..--.to do so is really courting an unexpected result. Maybe this will help those who have done so? I'm no stranger to bad results (because of not adhering to instructions!) lol.

Adding on, after time: I have ONLY used this with a 10% Ion developer for a very short amount of time (like 15 minutes, ) however, even with this, and reading instructions as far a 'adding color", "refreshing" etc , this was enough, (in a lighter color than my own virgin color, but darker than my bleached highlights) to LIFT my virgin color (level 6) to an orangey shade. Irony is: I used it to tone down my bleached highlights and used it all over my head. It DID tone down the highlights, but in lightening up my cool virgin color to BRASSY, the whole endeavor was a disaster....Now, I lose my natural cool virgin hair and am angry after waiting over a year for it to grow out.....Beware: do not use this on your virgin hair you want to preserve. It may affect it adversely...

on 8/18/2016 1:27:00 PM

Like an idiot I have tried this brand more than once. It is always way too dark. Like 2+ shades too dark every time.

6WR is the only one I ever liked mixed with 7NN to get dark brown (level 4.5 to 5) once it fades after two weeks. Yes, I really mean DARK brown But very pretty.

Tried 8G a long time ago hate it. Stripped my hair color from 5 to a 7g.... then put on 8N with 20 volume..... Hair turned out a 5 again... SERIOUSLY????? Never again I am done with this brand. I went to cosmetology school (in another state I am not licensed in my state now). It isn't that I don't know what I am doing. It is that a lot of this line sucks.

About my natural hair: 2N-3N in color, straight, thick, fine

I've been coloring my hair for almost 10 years with different products. I tried drugstore brands (Revlon Colorsilk, Garnier, Nice n Easy, etc), professional brands (Matrix, Redken, Kenra), and various brands from Sally (Wella, L'Oreal Excellence, AgeBeautiful, Clairol). I have to say that Ion is hands down my favorite. No matter what brand I try, I seem to find myself going back to Ion. Without making this review too long, I'll just get to the reasons why I like Ion over other brands:

1) The LARGE range of shades. I've gone from jet black, auburn, strawberry blonde, chocolate brown, golden brown ... they pretty much have any shade you'd like.
2) The undertones in these are intense. I've used hair dyes from other brands with a R undertone, and I felt like you could kiiiinda see the red in them. With Ion, the undertones are very apparent, which makes the overall color seem vibrant.
3) The cream formula is thick. Most cream formulas I've tried end up being liquidy. Because of that, coloring would be a mess. I think the thicker cream does take some time with spreading out the color evenly, but it isn't anything too bad.
4) It's pretty damn cheap. I think most, if not all, shades come in 4 oz of product (originally was 2 oz) and each are $5.79 with card & $6.49 without. I believe that's one of the cheapest hair colors at Sally's, but don't let the price fool you!
5) It never further dries out my hair. I say that because I do bleach with every non-black hair color I use and I use Sally's cheapo Salon Care developers. I'm certain that the bleach is drying, and I'm sure that the developer isn't doing anything to retain moisture in my hair. The Ion colors have always left my hair in relatively good condition, though I think the before/after treatments help with that too.

Go get yourself a Sally's card and getchu some.

Popular Hair Color Products