Garnier SummerBody

Garnier SummerBody

Aqua/Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Glycerin, Stearyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Glyceryl Stearate, Ceteareth-15, Dihydroxyacetone, PEG-100 Stearate, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylparaben, Dimethiconol, Limonene, Linalool, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Farnesol, Bisabolol, Methylparaben, BHT, Butylparaben, Citronellol, Citral, Parfum/Fragrance.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is my first time venturing into fake tan so decided a gradual tanner would be a nice place to start. I read a lot of reviews before settling on Garnier summer body, and while there are improvements that can be made, it's a decent product.

I use the deep colour and apply this after showering. I usually build it up over three nights, then reapply every few days to maintain the colour. It applies smoothly and smells nice on initial application, however this does eventually develop that distinctive biscuit smell that can get a little gross. I usually stand around naked for about twenty minutes to let the product soak into my skin and I try not to apply a thick layer of the product. My reasoning for this is that I found it stained my white nightie quite badly and I felt my nightie was getting more of the tanning benefits than me! I also choose to wear black clothes to bed now to save my bed clothes.

The deep colour gives me a nice medium golden tan, my legs looks a nice colour and I don't find it to give off an orange undertone. I'm quite fair by Asian standards and have yellow undertones so I think it would work well on others with yellow undertones. I've recently started applying a little of the tanner over my face, neck and ears to achieve a more uniform colour overall and it hasn't broken me out yet so I'm hoping it'll stay that way.

Overall, if you're looking for a bargain gradual tanner, you can't really go wrong with this one. Sure there is that weird biscuit smell but it doesn't last much longer once you've woken up and no one has told me I smell of biscuits yet. I bought the dark and light 400ml bottles for £7 at Boots so definitely a good deal. I found the Light one to take too long to give a nice colour so will probably suit much fairer skintones.

Better than St Tropez and Clinique, this non sticky lotion gives a great colour without a hint of orange or fake. I'm very fair-skinned but use the darker shade. I think this is the best of the bunch for 2017. In Tatler, it was up there with the hefty price tag brands. It takes approximately 15 mins to dry completely on first application but on daily use, maybe 2 mins then, it builds up and stays for at least one week or until exfoliating.
I love it! Great for face and neck too

on 3/18/2017 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

*I personally use the Deep Sun-Kissed version with apricot extract*

Price - Costs a few pounds, very often on a special price offer in many stores.

Application - As with all self-tanners, it is important to exfoliate and shave, and to moisturize the joint and bony areas of the body prior to applying, to ensure an even coverage, to prevent it clinging to dry patches, and from sinking in to fleshy, folded areas. I first applied this with bare hands - instant regret. I didn't realise that it wasn't actually a "gradual tan". The gradual tanners I have tried in the past really are gradual, where a few applications over a few days build up the tan. This does not to that - one application is all that is needed. I then tried it with latex gloves, as washing hands after application will just wash away the product from the tops of the hands, which is counterproductive. I like to ensure that my pores have closed, and my skin is completely dry before applying, so about 30 mins after showering, I apply the product like a moisturiser, on to one body part at a time (i.e. calves, then move on to thighs, then stomach and so on). I apply the tan at night, sleep, and then rinse off in the morning, so it develops on my skin for about 9 hours.

Smell - On first instance, and during development, the smell is typical of gradual tan, but with a slight apricot scent. I truly cannot stand the smell of gradual tanners, and I loved the colour of the Dove gradual tan, but I stopped using it after first use because the smell made me feel sick.

Colour - Unfortunately there is no application guide - it applies transparent, and develops a colour with time. The colour is ORANGE! And because you cannot see where and how you are applying the product, it's streaky streaky streaky!!

Longevity - I shower every day, and no matter how much I scrub, it lasts a good 5+ days.

Overall - I have given this 3 lippies, as the way it applies, while understandable for the type of product, is horrendous! I simply cannot see where to apply, and how much to blend. However, it does last quite some time.

However, I have mixed this with the St. Moriz self-tan (actually mixing it in the glove then applying to the skin), which makes the St. Moriz last a little bit longer, but does change the undertone from red/golden to a more orange shade. See my review on St. Moriz.

Furthermore, mixed with St. Moriz, and as mentioned in the St. Moriz review, I find the colour infuriating to match to a foundation. I am naturally between a Mac NC15 and NC20. If there was an NC17 shade, I think this would be perfect for me. I have a very naturally yellow undertone, and Revlon Colorstay 150 Buff is the colour I use every day without fake tan. I love Revlon Colorstay, as I have very oily skin, but I cannot find a perfect match for the St. Moriz tan!! And no other foundation that I can be bothered spending money on testing out matches the colour :( If anyone can match this tan to Revlon Colorstay, or a foundation that works as well as Colorstay, please please let me know!!

My HG tan. Easy to apply, nicely fragranced (no horrible biscuit smell!) and a lovely deep colour that looks natural after the first application. As with any tanning product it's best to apply a small amount of moisturiser to any dry patches and wrists, elbows, ankles etc to avoid streaks. Works well with Palmers Cocoa Butter. Perfect tan everytime and I receive so many compliments from friends who don't even realise that my tan is from a bottle! Couldn't be without it.

on 11/29/2016 1:48:00 AM

This is my favourite self tanner! Have been using it for quite a few years now and wouldn't use anything else. I have quite pale, freckled skin but use the tan for darker skin and it comes out a perfect colour for my skin tone.

on 4/22/2017 6:32:00 PM

Overall this isn't a really bad product but it just didn't do anything for me. I didn't get a tan from this really - it was very light and hardly noticeable, but it lasted very well and faded pretty evenly. It's a bit sticky and initially the scent is really nice, but after a few hours it seemed to turn into a more typical tan smell. The smell gets more overpowering as you go on. My skin felt smooth and really moisturised which is what makes this product redeem itself, and it's the reason I keep using it! If you want a proper tan you could use another in combination with this, or use this to top up. I don't like a dark tan so this is pretty good to me. It's also dirt cheap and you get a lot of product so overall you could do much worse. I'd recommend this tan especially to people who prefer a lighter tan, or who are very new.

on 10/21/2014 5:11:00 PM

This went really streaky on me. I like the consistency of this product, and it comes out of the bottle looking like a normal white moisturiser. It makes my skin feel soft and moisturised and the smell isn't bad and defiantly comes off after you take a shower. It quickly absorbs into your skin which is a plus. I put it on at night and woke up the next day with streaky arms and legs, although it did look rather natural on the rest of my body. Because of the white colour and how dark it becomes overnight, it's difficult to see if you got an even application. I got this in the medium to dark and I do a light to medium skintone.

UPDATE: been using this more recently. I've found that if I take a shower a couple hours after putting it on, I don't get streaky. Also i haven't noticed any transfer onto sheets or clothing which is great. The colour is quite yellow, which works well on skin with yellow undertones. I don't think that this would look as natural with pink undertones. In addition, the tan that you get after building it up for a couple of days, even in the medium to dark is lighter than a lot of other fake tanners on the market and so probably won't do anything for someone who's tanned.

on 6/27/2015 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this product! Iv used most of the gradual tanners out there including Johnson's, Dove and Palmers and this is definitely my fav! I found that the other gradual tanners smell really bad after a couple of hours but this lotion smells great! It's really moisturising and makes my skin feel so soft and hydrated and the colour is so nice it's never streaky on me!

I use the dark one as I have rather sallow skin and it's so easy to apply, of course you have to be careful around knees, elbows, wrists and under my arms as you would with a regular tanner!

on 9/22/2015 4:18:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Pretty good self tanner. Gives a nice glow and a quick tan, especially if you use the deep one. Doesn't streak.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

Beautiful.
I have very dry skin with Keratosis Pilaris. So my skin is literally a nightmare to tan.
I've tried everything, from Dove (the apparent no.1 gradual tanner) up to St. Tropez, even bronzer creams. Everything has been streaky, uneven, clung to skin even after exfoliation etc etc.
I have spent so much money searching for a tanner for years. This is it!
After 1 application I am delighted. I chose the Deep sunkissed lotion to amp up the colour and it suits my extremely pale skin perfectly. I am glowing, moisturized and bronzed.
It fades evenly (slight clinging around the knees but it's not obvious to anyone but me)
It applies easily, even the the novice tanner this should be very difficult to mess up.
It may not be for everyone but if you have my skin type (the devil) then give it a go. The price is brilliant, you get loads of product and it might just be for you too.