Maybelline Shiny-licious in Chocolate Cherry

No Image

3.6

Price: $

Price: $

I found this Chocolate Cherry gloss (along with Berry Sweet- a LE re-promote of Berry Bella, and Cinnamon Apple) at my local Dollar Tree. It comes with the updated Shinylicious packaging, and is dark brownish-red in color.

I bought it hoping for a sophisticated red gloss (like the wonderful L'Oreal Raspberry Smash) but on my lips, it applies streaky (only somewhat better with a lip brush) and the color, while pigmented, is a bit harsh for my pale coloring. If the consistency was better and a little lighter, I would love to use it more. The scent is pleasing, not too over powering of (fake) chocolate cherry.

Overall, not too bad of a gloss; it may work better on others, but I wouldn't repurchase.

on 11/25/2008 4:32:00 PM

On me, this is the perfect MLBB color. A very sheer, non-sticky brownish red. I actually like the foam applicator, I find that it spreads the gloss over my lips quite nicely. Works well on its own, or over another lippie or more pigmented gloss. I'm not a huge fan of the scent, but it's not super offensive or lingering. A great gloss, especially for the price. Highly underrated IMHO.

on 2/11/2008 11:09:00 PM

For me, choosing a lip color is always a gamble...especially since my skin gets so fair in the winter. But I have to say, this is one of the greatest lip glosses I've tried in a long time. The best selling point? It's not sticky! It glides on smooth and is very comfortable to wear. This particular color is actually close to what it looks like in the tube. Others of this brand/type are not, so be careful!

on 1/30/2008 7:49:00 AM

Maybe I'll be one of those few people who like the fuzzy slant applicator of this squeeze tube lip gloss.

I love it in a sense that, it's like using a wand-sponge-on applicator from other lip glosses, which i find more hygienic than a plastic slant applicator, which i find messy and more UNHYGIENIC!

color: it appears reddish brown in the tube but goes on sheer on lips w/a slight tint to it. in my medium pigmented lips, it appears mauve color.

texture: smooth, very fine, and shiny! i like the fact that it doesn't have shimmers to it!

odor: although it's choco cherry, i didn't smell any choco scent; it's more of cherry scent

taste: you may not be able to tell the sweet taste by just licking it but when you suck your lip, then that's the time that you'll be able to taste the sweetness!

on 6/21/2007 12:48:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The color is okay, but it looks different in the tube. Also, it really doesn't last long so I find myself constantly re-applying it. Beware-it has a cheap foam applicator that I can't stand and the smell is horrible!

on 6/15/2007 6:43:00 PM

I really like Cherry Berry (sheer bright red with pink undertones) so I had high hopes for this too. But even though this smells decent, it just isn't pigmented like Cherry Berry is. I was disappointed considering how dark it is in the tube. The color still looks decent on me (NC25 Asian), but I never reach for it, b/c if I want a nude/natural look, I reach for a nude/natural l/g, not this -- and if i want a dark chocolatey look, I don't reach for this -- basically, there are few situations when I think to reach for this. Plus it has that foam applicator that I just don't dig. I won't repurchase.

on 11/10/2006 2:48:00 PM

This one is part of their newly expanded regular collection now--yeah! Love this color. It's so hard to find glosses w'out shimmer from d/s lines, and this is a lovely deeper plummy browned berry. Love the color, but dislike the sickly sweet foody scents of these glosses. Also *really* don't enjoy the felt-tip applicator although I realize it probably isn't any less hygenic than a doe-foot applicator it still creeps me out. Probably won't buy this again, but these are decent for the price.

on 5/16/2006 6:44:00 PM

This is a good every day color on the lips. Not too dark or pigmented. Just enough pizazz to look finished. Sort of a brownish red-raisin color.
Like my lips only a bit darker. I like that it is not shiny or metallic.
I'm not too fond of the slanted foam tip, but it is a good size to put in my bag.
It's cheap enough also to try different colors, too.
As for staying power, it lasts a couple of hours on me before needing re-application.

on 5/6/2006 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I wanted to find a cheaper and less shiny alternative to one of my favorite lipglosses, Stila Lipglaze in Blackberry. Chocolate Cherry is a brownish plum colored gloss. It is not sticky at all, and not as glassy shiny as Stila Lipglaze. I like the color on my lips -- I am a warm-toned CCC, and Chocolate Cherry adds a tiny bit of natural looking sheer color and shine to my lips, while letting my lips shine through. The texture is nice and smooth and makes my lips feel soft. Lasting power is so so. It makes me look like I have naturally mauve-colored lips, and that I just put a touch of vaseline on them. The applicator is nice to use -- has a slant felt-tip. It tastes ok -- of chocolate covered cherries, though I would prefer something fruitier like berries. For $5 instead of $20 for Stila, it's a good buy.