3.7

package quality

price range

Reviews

12 years ago

I simply love this foundation. I am a 41-year old freckled face red-head who still suffers from oily skin in the t-zone. I am also highly allergic to chemical sunscreens (OH the irony!) Oh, and I have large pores and blackheads. This foundation meets all my requirements. It provides enough coverage to hide my pore/blackhead problem and tone down my freckles without looking like a mask. It has enough moisture for my dry patches but still provides matte finish in my t-zone. It doesn't settle into my pores or wrinkles - in fact, it really doesn't look like I am wearing foundation at all. As others have mentioned, it is kind of thick, but it sort of melts into my skin and I have no problem blending in. And best of all, it contains a physical sunscreen (zinc oxide/titanium dioxide) which keeps new freckles at bay without turning my face into a big puffy mess. I've been wearing this foundation (and the previous version of it) for 7 years now, and even though I occasionally stray in my perpetual hope of finding the next miracle product (most recently mineral foundation), I keep returning to this awesome foundation when all others disappoint. *** Update 2/23/2014*** I cannot believe I have been wearing this foundation for 13 years! It is still my favorite ever foundation, even though I stray to the Almay TLC foundation every now and then for longer lasting coverage. However, the TLC tends to magnify my pores and wrinkles - unlike the Line Smoothing which actually does smooth my lines! I am having a harder and harder time finding this foundation - my Ulta, Walgreens and CVS no longer carry it - and I am dreading the day when it is discontinued!

About reviewer (9 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairRed, Wavy, Medium

12 years ago

This is the one and only foundation I will buy over and over again. The coverage is flawless and it doesn't break me out at all. It makes my skin look amazing without making it seem like I'm wearing a face full of make up. It's also very moisturizing, which is something I look for in all of my face products for the areas of my face that tend to get dry and flaky. I love it because it doesn't exxagerate dryness and it also does a good job of evening out my skin tone. I would reccomend this almay foundation to anyone looking for flawless, smooth skin.

About reviewer (28 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrunette

12 years ago

I have come back to this foundation several times. Honestly I think it's one of the best ones out there. I used Almay foundations in high school and rarely got zits. when I got older and started working I decided to buy expensive foundations such as Lancome and Chanel and my skin started breaking out horribly. Part of it was my hormones(bcp solved that)but the expensive department store foundation irritated my skin and gave me under the skin bumps. Whenever I go back to Almay my skin clears up and no more under the skin bumps. I love that this foundation has a physical sunblock,and lots of antioxidants. It has green tea, licorice, cucumber, and more. I also think this range has the best neutral colors imo. I used Neutral last year and this year I am using Sand(I'll get to that later) I am very picky about have a differnce between my neck and jawline and when I blend there is practically no line. This is my boyfriend's favorite foundation on me(I know that because he has that look on his face like wow you look great, other foundations that don't look good he gives me an odd look lol)I don't like the pacaging like everyone else, oh well. I also should add that I don't have dry skin, it's bascially normal, but now that its summer its more oily. However, I think Almay shouldn't have specifically labeled this for dry skin, I think normal and oily skin types could use it as well, but probably wouldn't think to give it a try because of the label.I think that because it is a light foundation with light moisturization making it suitable for more than just dry skins. The coverage I would say is slightly more than a tinted mosturizer and when applied nicely(it also has a cool feeling which is nice for summer) it gives sort of a dewy airbrushed look. Ok this is the best way I have found to use it: On moisturized skin, With a foundation brush, you use less and get more coverage, Then since I am oily right now I blot with a tissue after I apply w/ the brush before setting with loose powder( this foundation has no oil controlling properties so thats why I blot) I find doing it this way makes it look the best and basically lasts all day(even in humidity) Ok about the colors- I am about NW20(never got a "perfect match w/ MAC tho) btw I can't stand anything too pink or yellow I need a very neutral beige tone to make me look human. I have gotton the best match so far w/ Almay. Ok so last year I wore Neutral and it was great. However this month when I went to buy it at walgreens I noticed the bottle did not say dry skin on it anymore and there was a label on it that said new. The ingredients were the same but the colors looked different. They also added a new color I think it was tan(so now they have more selection for darker skin tones) when I picked up neutral it looked way too dark then I picked up Sand and that looked like the old neutral. Weird the Sand 260 is lighter than the neutral. I even asked my friend and she said sand looked lighter than neutral. I bought them both and we were right Almay reformulated the colors and made sand lighter than neutral. The neautral was orange on me, but the sand was a great match. So if you use Almay you may want to re-check your color. I hope I didn't annoy anyone with making this review so ridiculously long! I don't review often so when I do I try to make it good ;) I hth, I highly recommened trying Almay if you have sensitive or breakout-prone skin or have had reaction to department store brands. I think the line smoothing is their best foundation out right now. Btw the way I have slept in this foundation before and it didn't break me out( I know bad!)

About reviewer (2 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

HairBlond

3.0

12 years ago

I have medium-toned Asian skin, and recently went on a liquid foundation shopping spree. I got the warm shade of Almay's line smoothing makeup. It doesn't do as good a job with my dry skin as L'Oreal's Visible Lift (buff shade) and is a little bit pinker (to the point that I have to be very careful how much blush I put on). It's thick, which makes it hard to get out of the narrow-mouthed glass bottle, but it spreads well on my skin and gives me a dewier/fresher look than most other foundations I've tried. I would consider this a light to medium foundation on one application. It doesn't noticeably smooth out lines on my face.

About reviewer (57 reviews)

SkinDry, Tan

HairBrown

from

12 years ago

I really love this foundation. I don't know why it has received bad reviews. I agree that this has coverage more like a tinted moisturizer, but to me....I think this stuff is just as good as a lot of the tinted moisturizers that I have tried. This is what I use on a daily basis. Edit: I have stopped using this because of Almay's colors. They are too neutral/cool toned for me. I can wear Sand (NC25 in the summer), but it isn't an exact match. I really like this formula for my dry/sensitive skin, so I will keep it at a 5.

About reviewer (13 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Other

1.0

12 years ago

I'm pretty sure they mis-labeled this product because it's anything but line smoothing. It's quite the opposite in fact. It is not hydrating and like others have said, it settles into the lines making even small lines look more noticeable. It is very heavy and gloopy and hard to apply because it is so thick, and very hard to get out of the bottle. I think Almay needs to take this off the market and reformuate this foundation. It makes Almay look bad.

About reviewer (35 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

3.0

12 years ago

This was a random buy for me - I don't have lines or wrinkles and I actually don't normally use a moisturizing foundation because I have oily skin. I had some dry patches this winter, though, so I thought I'd try this because Almay doesn't test on animals and the shade selection was good. This stuff is OK - doesn't really cover much and takes FOREVER to dry on my face! Kind of moisturizing, but I still noticed some flakyness in certain areas of my face while wearing this. I'm sure there are better foundations out there than this, won't be buying again.

About reviewer (63 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

2.0
from

12 years ago

This product had no coverage for me at all. I thought it was terrible. It didn't cover my pores...as a matter if fact it didn't cover anything. I hated the glass bottle. It takes a lot of banging on my makeup counter to get any out. Terrible packaging. I do like the Almay line smoothing concealer. I use that for touch ups because it is light and doesn't look cakey under my eyes. The foundation though is useless.

About reviewer (117 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

2.0

12 years ago

Smells really....weird. Also takes a long time to build to cover up the minimal redness I have in my cheeks. Feels slightly drying/tacky too when washing it off in the evening. The glass bottle is freakn' annoying though--takes a long time to get a little out, even with shaking/banging. Mehhh... could do better, but could do worse, too. The color array was impressive and ultimately it did provide good coverage and line-smoothing with lots of time spent building.

About reviewer (127 reviews)

SkinDry, Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Medium

EyesHazel

1.0

12 years ago

I'm very disappointed by this foundation. <br> This did not smooth any lines, it settled right into them and I could see each pore on my face. I got this in "Ivory" and it turned an orangey shade after a few hours. <br> This is very expensive ($14 American) and comes in an easily breakable and spillable glass bottle with a simple twist off cap. A pump would be much better. <br> It goes on creamy and never seemed to set, so it ended up on my shirt collar, napkin, etc. <br> It broke me out, which is fairly unusual for me.

About reviewer (279 reviews)

Age30-35