La Mer Creme de la Mer The Moisturizing Creme

Filtered by age: 36-43

3.4

Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Lime Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesame Seed Oil, Ecalyptus Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesame Seed, Alfalfa Seed Powder, Sunflower Seedcake, Sweet Almond Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Glyconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance (Parfum)

I love this stuff and and use this retin a .1 and lactic acid peels and my skin looks fab

I have high standards and I am skeptical generally when it comes to products. Sometimes a product will shock me and will work without knowing why. Then I will make it my mission to find out why. This cream is expensive. It is also very thick. I find myself trying out other cremes because of the price and and general curious nature but always end up back at this one. The last time I did after a few months, my skin dropped 10 years in a couple weeks. I have tried everything from Sisley rich cream to the Nivea that is supposed to be a dupe for this. So the mission to find out why this works had me sharpening my reasoning skills. Online there are numerous reviews that specify the unimpressive ingredient list. Algae is not hard to come by in skincare after all. But do identical ingredient lists make identical products? No, the quality of the ingredients, fermentation process etc can vary greatly as it does with this product. The process was the "mystical secret" (eye roll at the marketing story) but there is something special about both the specific type of algae and the process which actually employs light and sound. Although it is not understood why that works, it does. Samples not created the same way by Huber and Estee Lauder did not produce equal effectiveness. At any rate, I do not think the high price and exclusivity factor are warranted but it does work wonders for me that have not been surpassed so I am going to keep using it. I am also a fan of the soft cream for day as my skin is combination. I am a Retin A user though so the full on cream is A+ For overnight. Personally, the cream actually works better with my Retin A. This cream is not for all skins. It works for some people and not for others. Skin type, genetics, climate, hormones, age etc can all be factors. The transformation in my skin is real though. If your skin does well with this product, just try going a couple of months without it and pick it up again. Take some before and after pics.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I had been considering to buy this cream for like 10 years, because of the price point. Don't get me wrong - I do not think that cosmetics are the best area for saving money, but this much for a jar of "nivea-like" cream is insanity for me.

I am in my late thirties as so far my skin was not perfect - but ok. Oily with some blackheads, but with no mimic lines or crow's feet, so I was happy. However at some moment in the past my skin wasn't feel very well, so I though I will give la mer a shot (I have got much more expensive mistakes in my life, so why to bother). Moreover I started noticing some fine lines appearing (I guess due to dehydration and some aggressive glycolic treatments I was having). My skin was prone to adult acne and redness. And of course oily, oily, oily.

This cream works and the Nivea is not even close to it if it comes to performance and effects. I know - that ingredients list is similar, but not the same.
I used a tiny amount twice a day (first warmed and rubbed between my hands) and saw skin transformation in less than a couple of days. Plumped, glowy and healthy skin - believe me or not, but even my husband noticed the difference.
I am extremely prone to acne and clogged pores, but nothing like that happened (maybe some occasional pimples in the first week, but I cannot say if this was a 100% CDLM fault). And my skin is not as oily as previously, which is a good thing.
I used it on my face, neck, decollete and as an eye cream.
Works well with my foundation, but avoid putting too much under eyes or on upper eyelids - you make up will melt.

The only cons I can see now are: (1) price; (2) the jar - very elegant, luxury, but I have dropped the litter so many times and it's a real miracle, that it hadn't been broken...

I am not sure whether I will buy another jar or rather try something from Dr Sebagh's range, which is not as expensive but is told to be really effective.

I got the CDLM in dec last year and still have a dose for at least two months, so I think 2 jars all what you need for the whole year.

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I used gel de la mer few years back when i was younger, now in my 40++ i find my combination skin has changed to somewhat dry skin, less oily and needed more moisture. So i picked up this little super expensive jar and was surprised at how thick the cream is. The fragrance definitely resembles Nivea cream, but the texture is totally different. The cream doesn't turn to translucent likes gel or soft cream. It only turns a bit soften somewhat, slide on and disappear into your skin. It's oily and feels heavy but not greasy or sitting on top of your skin like many others.
This cream is best for calming irritation skin after treatments like chemical peel or laser or sunburn. It doesn't remove skin discoloration or pigmentation or removes fine lines and wrinkle.
Your skin just feel soften, relaxed, no redness, no flaky.

I agreed with other reviewers that you have to finish at least half bottle before coming to conclusion whether this cream works for your skin. Its nice to have this if you have dry skin, want to pamper yourself
by adding some luxury to your skincare routine. The result is more obvious on aging matured skin.

I normally transfer a small amount to another jar for 1-2 weeks use to avoid contaminating the big bottle.
You dont need much for each application so a 60ml bottle would be sufficient for 1-year usage. I suggest to top up with other moisturizer and overnight treatment cream for best result.

This is one of those legendary products that you see all over the Internet. Usually only found in upmarket department stores or airport duty free. This is clearly a product that really polarises people due in no small part to its exhorbitant price.

There have been numerous stories in the newspapers outlining how the ingredients for a 60ml jar only cost around $5 but a jar costs around $200. Other stories compare it to Nivea creme. I have tried both Nivea and the La Mer and they are not exactly the same. La Mer, if emulsified in the hands and patted gently into the skin has a much more soothing and almost wet / cool effect on the skin that I think would be great if you'd been in the sun all day.

The creme does also almost "over moisturise" or saturate the skin - I'm not sure if this is the high oil content or the seaweed broth but it definitely has a plumping effect and if you suffer from extremely dry skin and need something occlusive to trap in moisture this could be useful to you. But then so could a hyalauronic acid serum followed by a layer of Nivea.

I have bought this product at full retail when it first launched in the uk and also had the now sadly discintinued eye balm ( original - the current one isn't that great). I'm not sure if experienced a miracle exactly but the combo of the original eye balm ( used first like a serum) with la Mer creme on top definitely healed a number of issues including some broken capillaries under my eyes. For this reason alone I can't discount this product completely. I do have a very small sample jar which I use on flakey lips or when I have a cold around the nose to get rid of flakies...

After a long break from the creme - I was an Erno Laszlo user for about 11 years ( until the current buy out) - I was considering maybe buying another jar as it does last and I did enjoy the "cool/wet" sensation that you get when you pat this on. I decided to research the line further.

I won't repeat the much touted Max Huber NASA burns healing story here as everyone's heard that already. But two facts that stopped me from buying this again ( apart from the price which just keeps going up and up as does the number of add on serums / pre serums / boosters - this is truly a cash making machine)

1. when Lauder bought La Mer from the owners family after his death there was no written formula! only a collection of film footage and scribbled notes. Lauder had to try and "guess" the formula and did many trial batches until they got what they thought was the closest to Max Hubers original.

2. When Lauder bought the brand it only had 4 products - a cleanser, toner, the original creme and an eye cream. A 2oz jar of the creme was around $50 ( in the late 80s/early 90s). This is versus the crazy variety of la Mer products we have today.

Due to the products withdrawal from the market a waiting list grew anxious for its return. However when Lauder finally launched it many long term users returned it. Why? Apparently the formula is very different. For example the original did not contain any mineral oil and was in fact a natural plant based creme ( Huber famously used to rub it in his eye and eat it with a spoon to prove how natural it was!)

3. Lauder for many years was cruelty free as were their attendant brands such as Clinique and la Mer. But since the brands move into the Chinese market they have to have all their products animal tested ( even my previously loved Aveda shampoo). This is not acceptable to me personally.

in tandem with the above issues my research has thrown up other products that I feel are superior to La Mer including those by brands such as May Lindstrom, Själ and others who really do go all out to create a holistic skincare ritual using only the finest ingredients. Also brands like the Ordinary prove that you can provide hi tech skincare that actually works without having to pay hundreds of $$/££ for a small white pot.

if you do have seriously dry skin maybe get a free sample of this or Embrolisse just to see if it's occlusive properties help. But be aware there are much better moisturisers out there.

holy Grail for me

I prefer to invest more in skincare, but just because a product is expensive, doesn`t necessarily mean it will be good. So I tread carefully the world of luxury skincare and try to get samples whenever I can. I got a huge sample of this moisturizer at the La Mer counter and have been playing with it for 2 weeks (still have a lot left). It smells like a fancier version of Nivea to me, a pleasant smell for my taste. A little goes a long way in my case, because I have combo oily skin, and the moisturizer is pretty thick. It sinks in well with a good facial massage and hasn`t broken me out. It does a great job to plump and hydrate, so when I wake up in the morning I can see my skin glowing, and I am pretty sure it`s thanks to this cream, as nothing else has changed in my routine. The only thing is, is it really worth the price? I mean, I live in Japan, and winters here are not exactly brutal, so do I need to invest so much in a heavier moisturizer? Don`t get me wrong, if I lived in a colder climate, I would consider the splurge, but at this point in my life I know other more affordable options of moisturizer that work really well for my skin type. If you have the cash, though, I totally recommend this.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Cool

I'm in my 40s and I have ridiculously dry skin. I'm also constantly waging a battle with flakes and red, itchy skin in winter months when I'm using retinol. I got a huge sample and I tried this for about 3 weeks, but had to stop. Something in it (fragrance?) just irritated my skin. Nothing major, but my skin always itched a little too much with this stuff on. Also, I don't even think it hydrated that well and I often had to follow up with face oils and heavy-duty occlusive moisturizers. Honestly, I get better results from mixing rose hip oil, vitamin E and Trader Joe's Nourish face cream at a fraction of the cost.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

A nice moisturizer that really hydrates the skin really well. I would not say this is an anti-aging product. It's just a great plain, uber expensive moisturizer. I would repurchase it since my moisturizers usually last me 6 months. It has a nice scent to it too- like a spa treatment scent.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I received two generous samples and used the Creme de la Mer for two weeks both night and day.

Bottom line, I'm not impressed. La Mer has different types of face cream/moisturizing cream that I'd lean towards first before buying 'the original'.

I have very dry skin, eczema on top of that, and I'm almost 40. I would, hands down, purchase a Sisley moisturizer over this one...in face I would purchase two types of Sisley moisturizer before buying this for the price point. I had more success with even Olay original formula than this.

After a week of continuous wear, I noticed my skin would be dry and flaky underneath this moisturizer, even though I could feel the slip of it on top. It did not improve the texture and my skin looked scalier and older. My foundation would slip on top of this.

Now, I like the other product - the treatment lotion, the eye cream, the serums, but find another moisturizer.