Dermalogica Ultra Sensitive Faceblock SPF 25

Not tested on animals

on 5/27/2009 7:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

Yet another Dermalogica product that didn't suit me I used a sample, which lasted me for 4 days. It contains a high sunscreen, SPF 25, which is great. I really liked the consistency of the product and the fact that it was tinted. I didn't need to use any other base for my skin. My face did get a little oily during the day, but what's worse, my skin got really congested with tons of blackheads and tiny cystic bumps. I'm so gutted, because this was the exact kind of sun product I was looking for :(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Beware! It is easy to confuse the ***Ultra*** Sensitive FaceBlock with the ***Super*** one. The Ultra is a tinted cream in a tube; the Super is a super-light white fluid in a small bottle. I'm reviewing this now having just repurchased the good Super, and recalled, with a shudder, my previous experience with the Ultra.

The Ultra is a pink/peach-tinted cream - a similar shade and texture to Clinique City Block 25. The active sunscreen ingredient is titanium dioxide (full ingredients listing at end of review).

I found it quite heavy to apply, and rather strongly scented (pleasant, mind you). My skin was very unhappy with it, reacting within minutes. I removed it as soon as possible, but still had patches of rash and suffered a breakout: not just the usual localised/cyctic pimples, but all over my face and neck where I'd applied the Ultra. There is unfortunate photographic evidence of this from an event I had to attend the next day. All therefore quite unforgettable.

This might well work for other people - but please do read the ingredients and patch-test it (somewhere inconspicuous like inside wrist) before buying. And I'd heartily recommend the Super instead. I felt a strong moral obligation to warn about the Ultra, and the perils of its confusion with the Super. (Mops sweaty brow and stops shuddering.)

INGREDIENTS: (TiO2 and) Melissa Officinalis, Octyododecyl, Neopentanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol, Diethyhexanoate, Neopentyl Glycol Diisostearate, DEA-Cetyl Phosphate, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Ectracts Of: Camellia Oleifera Leaf, Echinacea Purpurea, Vitis Vinifera Seed, Citrus Medica Limonum Peel, Centella Asiatica; Panthenol, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Sorbitol, Proline Lecithin, Essential Oils Of: Citrus Grandis Peel, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis, Aniba Rosaeodora Wood, Geranium Maculatum, Lavender,Thyme; Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Iron Oxides, Magnesium Silicate, Aluminum Hydroxide.

[source for ingredients list: dermstore.com] continued >>

on 11/2/2007 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

If your skin is Ultra Sensitive/Reactive this is for you! Calms gives SPF protection and a wash of color that is the best tinted moisturiser ever

on 5/31/2007 12:19:00 AM

First of all......I do not break out while i'm wearing this either and i am prone to that with every other sunscreens i've tried, this product is more than just a sunscreen to me, i've been using it for over 5years and it evens out my complexion and gives me a great glow all day...i always get comments on my skin when i wear this. i think it's better than dermalogica's treatment foundation and the sheer tint moisture....

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This sunblock it brilliant, it got SPF25 so protects the skin whilst giving it a glow because it's tinted too. It's as light as a moisturizer

on 7/31/2004 11:41:00 PM

I love this sunblock...it feels good on (not heavy, not oily), it looks good on (not white, not noticeable even though it's tinted), it does not irritate my sensitive skin at all, nor is there an annoying fragrance to irritate my sensitive nose. Most of all, it does what it's supposed to do...blocks sun...this PPP is happy!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Didn't care for this. The color of this turned my face a really weird color as the day wore on. Have tested it out on my husband as well, and he has burned with it on...don't think it gives adequate protection from the sun.