Dermalogica Ultra Sensitive Faceblock SPF 25

Not tested on animals

on 5/27/2009 7:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

Yet another Dermalogica product that didn't suit me… I used a sample, which lasted me for 4 days. It contains a high sunscreen, SPF 25, which is great. I really liked the consistency of the product and the fact that it was tinted. I didn't need to use any other base for my skin. My face did get a little oily during the day, but what's worse, my skin got really congested with tons of blackheads and tiny cystic bumps. I'm so gutted, because this was the exact kind of sun product I was looking for :(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Beware! It is easy to confuse the ***Ultra*** Sensitive FaceBlock with the ***Super*** one. The Ultra is a tinted cream in a tube; the Super is a super-light white fluid in a small bottle. I'm reviewing this now having just repurchased the good Super, and recalled, with a shudder, my previous experience with the Ultra.

The Ultra is a pink/peach-tinted cream - a similar shade and texture to Clinique City Block 25. The active sunscreen ingredient is titanium dioxide (full ingredients listing at end of review).

I found it quite heavy to apply, and rather strongly scented (pleasant, mind you). My skin was very unhappy with it, reacting within minutes. I removed it as soon as possible, but still had patches of rash and suffered a breakout: not just the usual localised/cyctic pimples, but all over my face and neck where I'd applied the Ultra. There is unfortunate photographic evidence of this from an event I had to attend the next day. All therefore quite unforgettable.

This might well work for other people - but please do read the ingredients and patch-test it (somewhere inconspicuous like inside wrist) before buying. And I'd heartily recommend the Super instead. I felt a strong moral obligation to warn about the Ultra, and the perils of its confusion with the Super. (Mops sweaty brow and stops shuddering.)

INGREDIENTS: (TiO2 and) Melissa Officinalis, Octyododecyl, Neopentanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol, Diethyhexanoate, Neopentyl Glycol Diisostearate, DEA-Cetyl Phosphate, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Ectracts Of: Camellia Oleifera Leaf, Echinacea Purpurea, Vitis Vinifera Seed, Citrus Medica Limonum Peel, Centella Asiatica; Panthenol, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Sorbitol, Proline Lecithin, Essential Oils Of: Citrus Grandis Peel, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis, Aniba Rosaeodora Wood, Geranium Maculatum, Lavender,Thyme; Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Iron Oxides, Magnesium Silicate, Aluminum Hydroxide.

[source for ingredients list: dermstore.com] continued >>

on 3/14/2008 7:56:00 AM

One word - CITRONELLOL. This is a common skin irritant and yet they keep putting it in products, especially I have found for those with sensitive skin.

BOO! Back to Dr Leslie's book for another spf.

on 5/31/2007 12:19:00 AM

First of all......I do not break out while i'm wearing this either and i am prone to that with every other sunscreens i've tried, this product is more than just a sunscreen to me, i've been using it for over 5years and it evens out my complexion and gives me a great glow all day...i always get comments on my skin when i wear this. i think it's better than dermalogica's treatment foundation and the sheer tint moisture....

on 3/31/2007 12:51:00 PM

This is the best facial sunblock I've tried, it doesn't irritate my skin at all. I have a combination of acne and rosacea and I don't get any breakouts from this + since it's tinted it evens out my skin tone nicely. However, if I was paler or darker it mightn't suit me so well. Overall a very good product but looking at previous reviews it's obviously a product you either love or hate so if possible get a sample first. Ideally I would have liked a higher SPF but sure you can't have everything I suppose...

on 12/6/2006 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

After using many samples of this I like it a lot. I don't like sunscreen on my face and love this stuff. I'm PALE, but when I rub it in well gives a great glow and evens out my skin tone. I do feel it occasionally on my skin but that's because it's sunblock and not meant to fully absorb. sunblock leaves a physical barrrier on your skin to block sun. sunscreen absorbs into the skin and then absorbs the sun's rays. This stuff doesn't make me breakout, I tend to get congestion with sunscreen. Love it in the winter too, anything to help protect my skin from the winds too is a plus lol

on 5/1/2006 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This sunscreen makes me look like i've dirt in my face, it makes me look tanned in a bad way, and my skin is not THAT fair. I dont understand why this comes in only one, pretty dark color. Besides that, this is too greasy, it made my skin look oily, it doesn't seem to sink into the skin properly. The smell is strong and not very nice. I sold my tube I won't buy this stuff again.

on 3/21/2004 3:35:00 PM

made my skin oily and gave me a breakout. i ended up just using the rest of the tube on my decolette over the summer, but it is too expensive for this purpose when regular sunblock does the same.

on 12/11/2003 6:10:00 PM

I like this stuff. It does smell weird and look weird. It is tinted brown so I thought it would be gross, but it smoothes out my skin so I don't wear makeup over it. In fact, I think one would feel like they had stage makeup on if they did wear foundation over it because it is thick and a little heavy. However I like that I don't have to wear foundation when I use this. I can't wear it in the winter though because the tint is too dark for my fair skin unless I have a little tan.

on 8/20/2003 9:35:00 PM

I did not like this sunscreen. First of all, the facialist recommended this to me since I have very oily/acne prone skin, and what a BIG mistake! Plus it was not cheap- I paid $$. This feels like putting glue on my face. It feels so heavy on my face, and it's pretty gooey and thick. I got so much olier afterwards. I absolutely hate this one that I had to give it away.