Dermalogica Ultra Sensitive Faceblock SPF 25

3.0

Not tested on animals

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Beware! It is easy to confuse the ***Ultra*** Sensitive FaceBlock with the ***Super*** one. The Ultra is a tinted cream in a tube; the Super is a super-light white fluid in a small bottle. I'm reviewing this now having just repurchased the good Super, and recalled, with a shudder, my previous experience with the Ultra.

The Ultra is a pink/peach-tinted cream - a similar shade and texture to Clinique City Block 25. The active sunscreen ingredient is titanium dioxide (full ingredients listing at end of review).

I found it quite heavy to apply, and rather strongly scented (pleasant, mind you). My skin was very unhappy with it, reacting within minutes. I removed it as soon as possible, but still had patches of rash and suffered a breakout: not just the usual localised/cyctic pimples, but all over my face and neck where I'd applied the Ultra. There is unfortunate photographic evidence of this from an event I had to attend the next day. All therefore quite unforgettable.

This might well work for other people - but please do read the ingredients and patch-test it (somewhere inconspicuous like inside wrist) before buying. And I'd heartily recommend the Super instead. I felt a strong moral obligation to warn about the Ultra, and the perils of its confusion with the Super. (Mops sweaty brow and stops shuddering.)

INGREDIENTS: (TiO2 and) Melissa Officinalis, Octyododecyl, Neopentanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol, Diethyhexanoate, Neopentyl Glycol Diisostearate, DEA-Cetyl Phosphate, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Ectracts Of: Camellia Oleifera Leaf, Echinacea Purpurea, Vitis Vinifera Seed, Citrus Medica Limonum Peel, Centella Asiatica; Panthenol, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Sorbitol, Proline Lecithin, Essential Oils Of: Citrus Grandis Peel, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis, Aniba Rosaeodora Wood, Geranium Maculatum, Lavender,Thyme; Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Iron Oxides, Magnesium Silicate, Aluminum Hydroxide.

[source for ingredients list: dermstore.com] continued >>

on 11/21/2010 3:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

UPDATE. I actually kept a hold of this and when I was in a drier hot climate I was very surrpised to find that this was very nice on my skin. I didn't moisturise underneath it (or used a gel type cream) and I found that this tinted sun cream looked very natural and I didn't look all greasy/shiny at all. My earlier review was written whilst I was in a very humid heat (and sometimes with a richer moisturiser underneath as well), and I'm starting to see that most sun creams don't perform very well on my face in those conditions. I'm so glad I didn't throw this way. I've changed my overall rating to a 4 and have now answered yes to re buying. However, I'll keep looking for other options, mainly becuase I'm trying to find something a little cheaper.
***********************************************************
This product did stop my face from burning and didn't break me out, so in some ways it was good and did as it said on the box, as it were. I also quite liked the tinted quality, as it made my face look healthy. However, I also found it to be very thick and it felt horrible on my face. I like a natural feel, and sadly this wasn't natural feeling at all. I realise that that it is very difficult to find an effective sun cream that isn't 'thick' feeling, but this seemed to make my face feel greasy and shiny and horrible. It was also very expensive. I will use all the product up, but probably won't buy again. I found another one by La Roche Posay that was cheaper (very surprised about that) and more suited to my needs. I do think this would be perfect for other people.... but just not for me.

on 5/15/2010 2:32:00 AM

I loved the cosmetic finish of this product. The tint was slightly darker than my fair to fair-medium complexion, but it blended well and looked good. It's neither too matte nor too shiny. It also lasted well through the day, even through heat and exercise. Most important, it didn't cause any reaction or break-out.

The downside is that it has only titanium dioxide for sun protection. Titanium provides good protection from UVB rays that cause burning, but it's not as good at UVA-I (long UVA) spectrum protection as zinc oxide. Until the manufacturer adds a good amount of zinc oxide, this probably isn't adequate sun protection for someone spending much time outdoors - like me!

ETA: My skin reacted immediately to the Super Sensitive product but not to this one - the exact opposite of a previous reviewer. :)

ETA again: Called the company to ask about long UVA protection. Was passed to "education", left message, got called back several days later by someone who didn't know what I was talking about but explained that titanium reflects rather than absorbing. Thanks, knew that. Well, I knew people say that - it's not quite right. I switched products.

on 8/7/2006 6:48:00 AM

CAUTION *** This product is extremely OILY ***. OK it might say it's oil free or whatever, but after applying this to my face - it is thick, it doesn't absorb at all, and my face looks shiny and oily. A layer is left on top for hours and hours. It's like applying the cheap pharmacy sunscreen on the face. Smells yuck too. It's one of the worst Dermalogica in my opinion.

on 9/8/2004 3:41:00 AM

Although i do like that fact that it is lightly tinted, this leaves my face oilier than it already is. this could work well for someone with dry skin, but it is too oily in consistency for me. I do like the light scent though. I gave it a 4 because although it is not for my oily/sentitive acne prone skin, it is a great product and could be good for those with dryer less sensistive skin.

on 7/31/2004 11:41:00 PM

I love this sunblock...it feels good on (not heavy, not oily), it looks good on (not white, not noticeable even though it's tinted), it does not irritate my sensitive skin at all, nor is there an annoying fragrance to irritate my sensitive nose. Most of all, it does what it's supposed to do...blocks sun...this PPP is happy!

on 6/6/2004 10:40:00 AM

I have combo/oily skin.

Tried this in my never-ending quest for something with a spf protection. This one comes slightly tinted. I was so happy to find a SPF with slight coverage cos I have fairly good skin and just wanted something sheer with spf.

Unfortunately my face turned into an oil slick in a couple of hours. Returned and wont repurchase. continued >>

on 5/28/2004 7:23:00 PM

The only reasons I gave this a "3" instead of anything lower is because it did not cause any breakout as with other sunscreens I've used and it gave full spectrum protection against UVA/UVB/IR. I hate the tint!! It only comes in 1 shade that's too dark for PPP/LLL/FFF skintone. Overall, I'd only use this when I go for a swim. The texture is too heavy for everyday use under my makeup. Wish Dermalogica made this in an "untinted" version. I'm trying hard to finish the tube which is still very full and expiring in a few months.

on 4/8/2004 6:12:00 PM

I dont like this product too!!! Seriouly!
I was expecting a colourless sunblock (they didnt state in the product description!)... but it came in with a medium brown color!!!! The color makes me look tanned which I hated plus it did make me break outbadly ..Really felt like being cheated, too bad that I lost my recipt and was reject for return/refund!!!!! It is sitting there forever, I dont know what to do with that ~~~

on 3/23/2004 10:12:00 PM

Very sticky. It clogged my pores. It caused me break out. Don't waste your money on this product!