Dermalogica Ultra Sensitive Faceblock SPF 25

3.0

Not tested on animals

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Beware! It is easy to confuse the ***Ultra*** Sensitive FaceBlock with the ***Super*** one. The Ultra is a tinted cream in a tube; the Super is a super-light white fluid in a small bottle. I'm reviewing this now having just repurchased the good Super, and recalled, with a shudder, my previous experience with the Ultra.

The Ultra is a pink/peach-tinted cream - a similar shade and texture to Clinique City Block 25. The active sunscreen ingredient is titanium dioxide (full ingredients listing at end of review).

I found it quite heavy to apply, and rather strongly scented (pleasant, mind you). My skin was very unhappy with it, reacting within minutes. I removed it as soon as possible, but still had patches of rash and suffered a breakout: not just the usual localised/cyctic pimples, but all over my face and neck where I'd applied the Ultra. There is unfortunate photographic evidence of this from an event I had to attend the next day. All therefore quite unforgettable.

This might well work for other people - but please do read the ingredients and patch-test it (somewhere inconspicuous like inside wrist) before buying. And I'd heartily recommend the Super instead. I felt a strong moral obligation to warn about the Ultra, and the perils of its confusion with the Super. (Mops sweaty brow and stops shuddering.)

INGREDIENTS: (TiO2 and) Melissa Officinalis, Octyododecyl, Neopentanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol, Diethyhexanoate, Neopentyl Glycol Diisostearate, DEA-Cetyl Phosphate, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Ectracts Of: Camellia Oleifera Leaf, Echinacea Purpurea, Vitis Vinifera Seed, Citrus Medica Limonum Peel, Centella Asiatica; Panthenol, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Sorbitol, Proline Lecithin, Essential Oils Of: Citrus Grandis Peel, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis, Aniba Rosaeodora Wood, Geranium Maculatum, Lavender,Thyme; Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Iron Oxides, Magnesium Silicate, Aluminum Hydroxide.

[source for ingredients list: dermstore.com] continued >>

on 3/14/2008 7:56:00 AM

One word - CITRONELLOL. This is a common skin irritant and yet they keep putting it in products, especially I have found for those with sensitive skin.

BOO! Back to Dr Leslie's book for another spf.

on 11/2/2007 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

If your skin is Ultra Sensitive/Reactive this is for you! Calms gives SPF protection and a wash of color that is the best tinted moisturiser ever

on 10/23/2007 4:29:00 PM

This is a wonderfully product. I love the light scent and my skin has a nice light tint of colour and it's left looking matte all day.

on 12/31/2006 5:02:00 PM

I love the tint in this sunscreen. It evens out any blotchiness, but is not like a bronzer. It's gentle & has not made me break out. I'm acne prone, so this is a winner. In my opinion, the only negative is that it is a little on the oily side.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Love this product. Mix it with Barrier Repair for better consistency. Love the tint which is good in Winter to add some color to my light olive face (LLL).

on 7/31/2004 11:41:00 PM

I love this sunblock...it feels good on (not heavy, not oily), it looks good on (not white, not noticeable even though it's tinted), it does not irritate my sensitive skin at all, nor is there an annoying fragrance to irritate my sensitive nose. Most of all, it does what it's supposed to do...blocks sun...this PPP is happy!

on 1/20/2004 5:22:00 PM

This really is a poor product, it is horribly greasy and gave me spots. I bought one for my friend at the same time and she has flawless skin, it made her break out too.

on 8/20/2003 9:35:00 PM

I did not like this sunscreen. First of all, the facialist recommended this to me since I have very oily/acne prone skin, and what a BIG mistake! Plus it was not cheap- I paid $$. This feels like putting glue on my face. It feels so heavy on my face, and it's pretty gooey and thick. I got so much olier afterwards. I absolutely hate this one that I had to give it away.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Didn't care for this. The color of this turned my face a really weird color as the day wore on. Have tested it out on my husband as well, and he has burned with it on...don't think it gives adequate protection from the sun.