Essie First Base Basecoat

Essie First Base Basecoat

4.3

Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Tosylamide/Formaldehyde, SD Alcohol 40B, Isopropyl Alcohol, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Triphenyl Phosphate, Camphor, Aqua(Water), Benzophenone-1, Blue 1, Yellow 11, Polyvinyl Butyral.

on 5/30/2016 1:47:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

The No1 thing I look for in a base coat is how well it protects my nails. This product does a pretty good job of that, it protects my nails from staining from most of the nail polishes, unless it's a very dark color. It also helps the nail polish apply better and (maybe) last longer. As long as you screw on the cap properly, it won't dry out until it's used up, I'm almost done with my bottle and it's still the same consistance as I first opened it.

on 4/2/2016 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I've been trying to find a reall good basecoat after using the OPI Natural Base Coat which sucked, and I heard about Essie First Base so I thought I'd try it out seeing as it had so many good reviews Biiiiiig mistake. Its really thin and start's chipping within 1-2 days, total waste of money and worse than the OPI which also sucked. And for what I payed for it it was a total waste of money and I don't like to waste money, The first time I tried I was like ok this isn't great but I'm gonna try it out again, Its been a month, I'm done. I'm set with my Seche Vite Top Coat but I just can't find the right Base Coat

on 11/28/2015 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ok, I did a review a few weeks ago about CND Stickey base coat, but after using this Essie for the last two manicures, this is the ONE! My complaint about Stickey is that it tends to flood the nail bed -- this doesn't do that. It does give you a tacky finish so that nail polish adheres much better. The box says this is a base coat and primer. Picked up another bottle yesterday at Bed Bath and Beyond -- Black Friday sale on all Essie products two-for-one price.

on 11/1/2015 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I hate the expression "game changer" but that's the best way to describe it. It seems to protect my nails when I take polish off. Usually my nails become brittle and break and break and break but in the past week I have done four color changes without any damage. I will absolutely purchase again.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Best base. Nail condition: Soft, bendy, weak and peeling. This is the only base that prevents my nail tips to bend inside out and split. It really protects my nails from damage and allows them to grow. Also, this is one of the very few bases that doesn't cause peeling and dryness. When I take this base off, my nails are healthy looking. Another great quality is that this doesn't yellow my nails! I have about 1/4 left of product in the bottle and it is still performs like new and it doesn't turn goopy with time. BEST BASE!

My nails have started becoming very brittle and I've been wondering why. Then I came across some reviews that this base coast has the same effect on others, too. Although it dries really fast, a base coat that causes nail to become super brittle is a no-no.

So I have been trying this basecoat out for a couple of weeks I think, and I think I really like it! I have tried several different basecoats and nail treatments such as OPI Nail Envy, and none have worked for me, but this one seems to make a different.

My nails are unbelievably strong, but even though they are so strong, they peel like crazy!! I guess it's because I change my nailpolish 5 times a week, sometimes even more. First Base has made my nails stop peeling and it also makes my nails grow faster. It's a great base and makes even the most tricky nailpolish glide on easily. When it comes to drying time, it varies a lot. Sometimes it takes only 2 minutes, sometimes 15 minutes. Depends on how much you put on. You only need a tiny layer.

Will repurchase again for sure. It works really well for peeling nails, when it comes to strenghtening the nails I don't know. :)

on 5/19/2014 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the HG of all base coats. I use two coats of it because it is very thin and light. One thing I found that was really different from when I use other base coats is that polishes that went on streaky previously went on smoothly with this base coat. For me that is a huge plus. As for my polish lasting any longer than usual, I did not notice much difference because I use a really good top coat anyway. If you are a polishholic this is the base coat to have. Never use just a clear nail polish or a top coat as a base coat as it will not work. Base coats are designed to be more sticky so polish sticks to them better. The reason I gave it only 4 lippies is because I would prefer this formula a bit thicker so I won't have to use 2 coats.

on 2/14/2014 5:58:00 PM

My nail polish normally lasts 4-5 days without chipping and about a week before I have to redo it. This base coat made my nail polish peel off (chipping after only 2-3 days!) and left my nails brittle and dry. The search for the perfect drugstore base coat continues.

on 1/22/2014 2:36:00 PM

Best base coat I've ever used. It dries quickly, it makes the nail polish super easy to apply (don't know how, it just glides on the nail making the color even) and makes the polish last a very long time.
I only wish it came with the new longer brushes that essie has.

Popular Top/Base Coats