The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash

The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash

3.3

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Glycerin (Humectant), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Surfactant), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Surfactant), PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate (Viscosity Modifier), Polysorbate 20 (Emulsifier), Alcohol Denat. (Solvent/Diluent), Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil (Natural Additive), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Allantoin (Skin Soothing Agent), Polyquaternium-10 (Hair Conditioner), Sodium Salicylate (Preservative), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster), Yellow 5 (Colour), Blue 1 (Colour).

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have oily skin with many closed comedones and slight redness on my cheeks, dark circles beneath my eyes and clogged pores; I get a few breakouts here and there but my main issue is more with skin texture and quality, rather than acne. I had high hopes for this cleanser, since the toner was decent and my roommate raves about the benefits of tea tree oil, but it literally did nothing for my skin. Literally nothing! Not good, or bad.

I like the scent, and I didn't have any trouble with dryness or anything like that, so I use it as a double cleanser (after my first wash with my cream cleanser) if my skin doesn't feel clean. But, I just looked on Paula's Choice (beautypedia) and it turns out this cleanser--and the entire "tea tree" line includes tons of harmful ingredients that irritate the skin. I am in the middle of a skin regimen overhaul and will definitely be throwing this guy in the trash! Not the worst product out there, but highly suggest to look into other options for a cleanser.

on 6/1/2016 4:26:00 AM

NOT FOR NORMAL SKIN!
Only for oily skin because its very drying. Im normal skin and hade few bumps and pimples, thought this can clear them up since its tea tree bt weong move. My skin bcme very very dry and flaky, didnt clear any pimples, instead, a few more bumps appeared

To Read all 482 Reviews, Login or Join

I had great hopes that this would help clear my skin up. I persevered for a long while with it but didn't really notice an appreciable difference.

on 4/16/2016 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Since i love the toner and the actual tea tree oil, i thought this facial wash will work on me. So i grab the travel size one that comes in a little pouch so i can bring it for gym. But hell, this BURNS so bad. Like burning, not cooling whatsoever. I used it twice within few days, and my skin flared up. I always have bumps around my forehead that WERE getting better, but once i use this, the bumps show up more, and the both side of my forehead that was completely okay, suddenly have 4 inflamed bumps on each side. Plus, i got this under the surface acne on top of my right cheek which is painful to touch. Also, i get more blackhead on my nose, and TWO inflamed whitehead there, just by using this. I might use this to cleanse my brushes, won't wash my face ever again with this.

on 4/10/2016 9:51:00 AM

Have been using this face wash for years and I've lost count of how many bottles I've gone through.

Pros:
- Really helped clear my face, I now barely ever get breakouts.
- Really gentle on my skin although you can feel it working on your skin.
- Great smell, feels really natural
- I have full trust in The Body Shop

Cons:
I have barely any cons except:
- Bit pricey
- Stupidly I once used it on my eyes, and it reacted very badly. So KEEP AWAY FROM EYES.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have the oiliest skin of anybody I have ever met. Enough to give Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation and Kat von D Lock-It streakiness by the end of the day. Because of this, I am obviously very acne prone, and breakouts are a common occurrence for me. With a relative who works in the cosmetics industry, I've been sent many moisturizers, masks, and most of all facial washes. It wasn't about three years ago that I finally found a regimen that keeps the acne at bay.

This is the secret. Honestly. The smell is pretty strong, and not a pleasant one, but it makes up for it in performance. I use a Clarisonic Mia 2 (hands when I'm lazy, oops!) and it gets out all of your makeup from the day if you didn't remove it already (guilty of doing that sometimes) My skin looks great, no more acne and mountainous breakouts. I know it sounds too good to be true, but if you can hold your breath until you rise it off, I swear it's the secret. After the fash wash morning and night I finish off with a spritz of Lush's Tea Tree Cleansing water, and it just tightens everything up, and the fresh(er) smell is a relief for my nose.

I've gone through four of the large sized bottles, and just bought three more (because sales), I'm a committed user, this stuff works.

TL;DR:
If you have oily, breakout prone skin, I recommend trying this product., and I hope that it gives you the same results it has given me.

If your skin is prone to dryness, I would avoid this, unless you are confident in your moisturizer. Similarly, if your skin is very sensitive, I would be careful with this product. I have sensitive skin as well, and in the beginning of my switch from Skin Medica (which worked.... but not as drastically) the derma was upset with me for sure. Try using it once every few days at first to see if it's right for you, it's not as gentle as some other products out there.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I've tried all kinds of skincare from TBS over the years and I find that they just don't cut it for me aside from their Aloe products (which are quite gentle). The Tea Tree line (which is supposed to be GREAT for oily and acne prone skin) has done nothing but hurt the ever-living bajeezus out of my skin so I can only assume that their concentration or formulation with tea tree is just too astringent and rough for my face because I have used Tea Tree before in other products and it never did that. The smell is quite potent too and it lingered a bit too long for my liking. I couldn't even finish the sample bottle I got of this stuff! A pity.

i am halfway the bottle and i think this cleanser is quite good. feel nicely cleansed, but doesn't make my face feel dry and tight afterwards. kinda hate the fat packaging tho, not good for traveling it takes so much space:( i would repurchase this just because it contains tea tree and gentle for everyday use

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I quite like this cleanser. I use this at night after showering and it leaves my face feeling very refreshed and squeaky clean! It is not a drying product, unlike some astringent anti-blemish cleansers. The tea tree smell is a bonus too! I wouldn't say that this face wash clears up existing blemishes, but it certainly helps prevent new ones. Only thing I don't like is the packaging, the flip-cap top is quite weak.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I love this cleanser! Funnily enough it's the same one my dad has been using for years so it's always been there in our family bathroom, but I've just never thought to use it on my own skin. Recently however, I found that two ingredients work extremely well for my skin: witch hazel and tea tree (salicylic acid helps a lot too) - and I've been finding this really cleared up the few pimples that I did have left and has maintained that. The other nice thing is the way it feels on the skin and it reminds me of the Murad Clarifying Cleanser in that sense, very cooling and feels like your skin is really clean.