Bumble & Bumble Thickening Spray

Bumble & Bumble Thickening Spray

3.6

Water, Alcohol Denat., Isopropanol, Vp/Va Copolymer, Polyquaternium-11, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, PPG-12-PEG-65 Lanolin Oil, Polysorbate 80, Sodium Chloride, Sorbic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Eugenol, Limonene, Fragrance.

on 1/26/2016 10:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Once I found a way to use this that worked for me (thanks to a MUA review here) I like this better than I did but I still won't repurchase because I have found better products for my hair. I usually like the BnB line, and was curious to try this since my hair is medium length, naturally wavy (I blow out with round brush), but fine textured. When I sprayed this directly onto my damp hair, even sparingly, it was sticky and unmanageable.
Thanks to a tip on MUA, I tried spraying it in my palm and rubbing my hands together, then working it into my roots and downwards. This seems to work better for me, personally, and my hair seems thicker and 'bigger.' I don't like that this doesn't hold a style, though, nor the price for what it is....and will not repurchase. I like Living Proof's blow out spray better overall.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I recently got my hair cut into a long bob, and needed something to thicken my hair. For me, my hair is quite thin up the top and when I apply the product before I blow dry it. It does seem to make my hair thicker but I wouldn't say that it gives volume. I got it in the small bottle, and it seems to have quite a lot of use as you only do a few sprays. But I would definitely get another product that gives volume to go on top.

To Read all 260 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/22/2015 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This spray does actually thicken my hair. I use it layered with styling spray (Living Proof No Frizz) and this combination seems to work well. I spray No Frizz pretty liberally and then add a few spritzes of Bumble and Bumble, not much, just one underneath and one on top (I don't spray it on the roots). Then I let my hair air dry overnight. In the morning, my hair is a bit stiff but simply brushing through it is all that's necessary to get through the crunchiness. I then use a curling iron to create loose waves that I then gently brush through just once so I don't lose the definition. This spray definitely adds some heft to my strands, making it seem thicker and more voluminous. However, it doesn't have any hold, hence the styling spray. The thickness stays in place all day, as do the waves (I do add some flexible hold hairspray on the finished style for hold) and they usually are good for a 2nd day as well. I don't use much of the thickening spray at all because it can get sticky if you use too much. It does smell like alcohol, which is unpleasant, but the scent dissipates quickly so it doesn't really bother me. I used this spray years ago and liked it but I understand that BB changed the formula and it now says "hairspray". I wouldn't attempt using this spray by itself because I really need hold (my hair is very curl resistant) and of the two products, I definitely use more of the styling spray. But adding just a little of this product does thicken my hair and overall I'm pleased with the results. I only wish it weren't so stiff, but like I said, once I brush through my hair once, the stiffness is gone. So I'm giving this thickening product four lippies because it does work pretty well for me. Once you realize how little you need, I think you'll be pleased with this product as well. At this rate, this bottle will last a long time. I also don't need to use more if I decide to curl my hair on the 2nd or 3rd day. The effects are good until I wash it out. It does shampoo out cleanly, leaving no residue and I haven't had an issue with it drying my hair out. I do use the BB Invisible Oil Primer, so that may be supplying the additional dose of moisture I need to keep my hair from looking and feeling dry. Because I don't blow dry my hair, I can't say how this works if you decide to style your hair that way. But I do think the effects are heat activated because once my hair is curled, it definitely looks thicker than it does prior to styling. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the results I've gotten with the spray. I think it would work well for those with fine hair (mine's medium textured) as long as you're really economical with the amount you spray. I'm always happy when a product lives up to its claims so I'm happy with this purchase. The last thing I want is to have to return this product to Sephora, where I always get dirty looks when I return things. I've only used this spray a couple of times, but so far, it works well for me. I did pay attention to the reviews that urged using it sparingly, which was good advice. If you want thicker looking hair, I definitely recommend trying this product.

on 6/23/2015 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wouw this is very drying for my shoulder length fine hair! For a product this expensive it is really really bad quality. The second ingredient is Alcohol, so I could have known.
It gives my hair a little bit volume and texture, but that is because the spray dries out my silky hair so much (lifting because of the dryness).
It is recommended by my also very expensive hairdresser, do they even read the labels of the products they sell, they really don't know/learn anything about ingredients in products...

on 5/8/2015 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Use sparingly! I usually apply 1-2 sprays for my chin-length hair, which is plenty, and spray while I'm combing out damp hair. It adds some texture and thickness, but doesn't do as much for holding a style, so rather than overloading on product, I wouldn't try to use this in combination with a lot of styling. It works fine for what I need, and since a little goes a long way, tends to last a while.

on 4/6/2015 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have never purchased this but my friend keeps giving this to me as a gift. At first I loved it because I have fine, limp hair that definitely needs some oompf. I have used this enough to know that too much is a b-a-d thing. I spritz this in the roots of my crown --- just 1-2 sprays -- and I have volume and I guess, thickening. Any more than that and my hair feels super dirty and too difficult to style. So, final verdict -- this works awesome, but use it in small doses and it will last forever.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This stuff was a dud. I have fine hair, but a decent amount of it. It's super straight, super silky, doesn't like to hold style and desperately wants to be limp and flat. I'm always looking for body and products to help a style actually stay.

I'll start with the most glaring problem--IT BURNS! It makes my scalp feel like it's on fire! Not much more to elaborate on with that one.

So does this stinging liquid at least thicken? No. There was no discernible difference between styling with this and styling without it. I was using it with the Prep spray, Styling Creme, Does it All, and Thickening Dryspun Finish. My hair comes out the same with and without.

Glad I only bought the trial/travel size!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I received a few samples and bought the full size when I ran out. I wanted to review to let everyone know how I use this since a lot of people are having trouble making it work for their hair. I can only attest this method works for my fine long aging (thinning but not too bad), pretty healthy blonde hair. On towel dried hair, I use the bumble and bumble tonic spray first. I spray it in my hands, rub them together and distribute to bottom half of hair. Then I scrunch my hair to make sure it soaks in. Next I take a drop of the Rusk thermal serum with argan oil, rub it through my hands to warm it up and distribute to bottom and ends of hair. Then I brush my hair with the wet brush to get the tangles out and evenly distribute the two products. Finally, I take the thickening spray and spray it on my hands rub it once through my hands and apply it to my roots, underneath, at the ends.... Basically all over. I do this with my head up side down. And pick the spray through my hair with my fingers shaking my hair and pulling it at the roots to lift it like when I blow dry. Finally I blow dry my head upside down til it's almost dry. And use my round brush to finish it straight. I get the best volume and thickness. I think the Rusk thermal serum balances out any dryness cuz my hair always looks silly smooth. If I just use any serum on my hair without a volumizer, it lays flat. But using the thickening spray after my serum works best for me. I love their Tonic spray as well. I also love the Rusk thermal serum for my hair type too and I've tried every high end serum out there but I will save that for another review. So using the thickening spray after my serum helped me. I can see where people said its drying Cuz a lot of volumizing products are so you have to be careful. In the winter if I need to I just take half a drop of serum and use it on my hair when it's dry but I rarely need to. I just go over it again with the dryer and round brush in the morning cuz I wash my hair at night. I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Gave me a VERY BAD hair day! I had heard about this for years, touted in beauty magazines as such a great hair-thickening product. I came across it while shopping at Sephora and decided to give it a try. The nice sales associate gave me a sample in a small container, and a separate sample of the B&B creme product as well. I have baby fine blonde hair and always have to use some sort of thickening product after towel-drying my hair. I ran the small sample through my hair while damp, then blow-dried as usual (with very little brushing). My hair felt very wispy, flyaway and static-y; the worst it's been in years. I tried to improve it with extra hairspray but to no avail. The next day I tried the creme version without much success, either. Though it didn't leave my hair so flyaway it did leave it greasy in some spots -- not a good combination for fine hair (I should find out the exact name to review elsewhere). Bottom line -- did nothing to improve the thickness or body of my fine hair and actually made it worse. Thank goodness I didn't have to waste $29 to give this product a try. Will stick with my Sebastian Texturizer.

on 1/5/2015 10:40:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Hate it. Makes my hair extremely dry and stiff. No wonder - it's full of alcohol denat. Smells awful. Can't stress enough how drying this stuff is. Can't believe how anyone can like it.