Maybelline New York Moisture Extreme Rum Raisin [DISCONTINUED]

Maybelline New York Moisture Extreme Rum Raisin [DISCONTINUED]

4.7

Price: $

Price: $

So i just picked this up today, since my local duane reade had it on sale for 3 dollars.. i saw a bunch of great reviews online about this and i snatched it up..
however, im not liking it that muchh... it comes off very corally on my lips, and is really not flattering on me at all. the smell is nice, the texture is nice, and the packaging is alright. it just doesnt look good on me, sadly ):
also, i think "rum raisin": is sort of misleading, as this is sort of more reddish toned to me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'd just like to start off by saying that I own 11 of these Moisture Extreme lipsticks, that's how much I love them. Heck, I still have a lippie from when they were called "Moisture Whip". Yes, that long.

It's just a crying shame they're discontinuing these lipsticks (years later, and I'm still miffed they discontinued the Wet Shine lipsticks in the US -- those were my late middle school/early high school staple!), in favor of focusing on the Color Sensational line, which is definitely hit and miss (in color, finish, scent, & wear), in my experience. /End rant.

Like all Moisture Extreme lipsticks, "Rum Raisin" has a watermelon scent (which I admittedly have a love/hate relationship with), glides on easily, and never drys out my lips.

This particular lipstick, when applied lightly on my PPP (NC 10/15) skin, imparts a lovely berry/brown color with a very subtle shimmer.

However, as much as I love these lippies, I must say they do have their cons. As a result of these lipsticks being so smooth & lightweight, they don't have a lot of staying power and can bleed. I personally don't mind this at all, but others may. For this, I would suggest a lip liner, but I think investing in a different line of lipsticks would be a better option.

Overall, a pretty good buy. Get them while you still can. continued >>

I guess this line is being discontinued because I found all the lipsticks on sale for about $2.50. I bought three of them and this was one of the shades I chose. I really wish I'd discovered these sooner! The lipstick applies so smoothly, and feels just like a lip balm. It is somewhat on the sheer side, so you can use one swipe for a natural tone or apply more layers for extra depth. In the tube the color looks like nothing special, but applied the color is a mauve-berry shade with slight shimmer. Perfect for everyday wear, fine to wear to school or work and works for a date too. I wouldn't exactly call it MLBB on me since it is a few shades darker than my lips, but it does look so natural and flattering, you could almost say it is MLBB. I could see this color looking gorgeous on women of all ages and skintones. The lightweight moisturizing texture is so awesome and I really enjoy the fresh melon scent too. I also like the cute metallic red tube packaging. I think I am gonna go back to Walgreens and grab more shades before they are all gone!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My MIL gave me this lipstick because she found it wasn't one that she cared much for. While this isn't a color I would have normally picked up for myself, I found I actually enjoy it quite well. It does have some frost to it, but not a silver reflected frost...kind of a shimmer, I suppose. As the name suggests, its a deep red raisin color. I don't like to wear this full force, I think my face just doesn't look quite right sporting deep colors...so I lightly dab it on and then run my finger across the lips to blend it out and lighten the color. Sometimes I top with Iris (NYX lipstick color). I think this will be a nice color that I can wear more frequently once the weather cools down and we get into fall/winter. Would I repurchase? No, because this is a color that is easily found in any number of brands. I don't feel like this is a must-have item for me.

on 6/10/2010 7:42:00 PM

Bought this because of the reviews here. Usually wear red lipstick. A refreshing berry-mauve shade that's not heavy on my student budget.

on 6/3/2010 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Okay, I seriously resisted this for the longest time. I was sure a more expensive MAC or NARS lipstick would be THE ONE. They come close, but never quite right. With all the positive reviews, I picked one of these up for a little over $5.00 at the drugstore. It looks, when you open the tube, like the color should be all wrong on. But, oh, it's gorgeous! It is *so* smooth, and I like the watermelon scent. It never gets dry and tacky on my lips, and fades to a lovely berry stain color, so you don't have to worry about ugly lipstick fading. It is the perfect everyday color, and on my fair skin it gives my lips a finished YLBB color. I have already bought one for my purse, and one for home, and plan on stocking up on a few more.

on 6/2/2010 7:09:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Everyone's reviews for this gave 5 lippies! Need I say more? Not only is this color absolutely wonderful but it smells incredible!!! Which is very rare with good lipstick. Don't get me wrong i love the regular smell of lipstick but this stuff is amazing!!!!!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

LOVE this lipstick! It's very moisturizing, and also gives off a very nice glossy look. Not to mention the color is gorgeous, and suits pretty much any look you are going for. Would recommend!!!

on 2/5/2010 11:10:00 PM

Very nice shade of berry, can go on slightly darker if i applied more. Gives me a very healthy and sexy look and if i applied lightly a slightly bitten berry type of look. Very moisturizing since i don't have to applied lipbalm underneath this lipstick, lasting power is alright but i don't mind reapplying and very cheap as well. It got a very nice scent too! I like it so much that i will stock this up soon because i'm afraid Maybelline might discontinue this in future.Try it if you like berry lips and it's cheap, you got nothing to lose :)
Update: it's still kinda dark for me to pull off even when i blot it down to a stain....hence, down two lippies for this babe.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This is a great plum color. It is kind of deep but not dark dark, and has reddish tint to it with a brown undertone. Striking on fair skin, but it would suit darker as well