Maybelline Great Lash Mascara Waterproof

Price: $

Price: $

on 7/16/2017 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

For many years I used Lancome's Definicils Mascara. I was quite happy with it. But one day I wanted to get a waterproof mascara for a special event. The assistant at the drug store recommended Maybelline's Great Lash Waterprrof Mascara. I was skeptical because of the low price, but thought I had nothing to lose really. I have been using that brand now for 10 years. Then, recently, after watching a makeup tutorial, I learned about L'Oreal's Lash Paradise Waterproof. (apparently it is L'Oreal's answer to Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara). So I thought I would try it. I was disappointed. I did not care for all the product on the much larger want. My lashes ended up gummy and not natural looking. I am keeping Maybelline's Waterproof Great Lash as my go-to mascara. I really like it and it is so economical as well. Just a tip..... if you want 2 or 3 layers to build up the volume, don't wait more than a few seconds between applications.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Pretty much not waterproof. I bought this because my eyes have been watering lately and wanted something that wouldn't budge or run into my eyes and sting ... causing further watering. This didn't make them sting, but my word, I have never had such bad raccoon eyes. It smudged into my under eye area within 2 hours and I pretty much had to wipe it all off and do the whole concealer mascara thing again. Don't get this if you are looking for a waterproof product.

In terms of application, it's just a nice light finish. Looks pretty natural.

on 4/23/2017 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I purchased the "Waterproof Hydrofuge" in very black. I know this is not a classified as a smudgeproof mascara, its waterproof. But how I am going to wear this to a pool or beach when my eyes look like I've just come from one?? Haven't even rubbed my eyes. Anyhow I like how black it is and the wand but it unusable for me.

on 2/12/2017 6:09:00 PM

I'm always sceptical of any brand that has a bunch of hype, good or bad around it. This mascara rocks. No question. While wearing this I had occasion to bawl my eyes out, rubbing my eyes, everything. This mascara did not run, smear, budge or move an inch.
My previous mascara was Estee Lauder Sumptuous Waterproof. Great Lash waterproof is better.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

A waterproof mascara that smudges??? WTF Maybelline? Growing up Great Lash was the mascara of choice by everyone I knew. I favoured the blue one, regular (not waterproof) formula back then but recently started looking around for an inexpensive waterproof mascara. Feeling nostalgic and having fond memories of this swayed me into picking up the waterproof version. It applies nice, no clumping at all, but not a lot of coverage. This gives a very natural look and doesn't feel like there is anything on your lashes which I like. But, I have allergies and my eyes frequently water so I was hoping this waterproof mascara would stay put. Nope, not this one. Not worth the couple bucks at all. Back to the drawing board...

on 5/2/2017 2:31:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

PROS:
- Spiral wand is great for adding volume to sparse lashes like mine
- Holds curl well (since it's waterpoof)

CONS:
- Hard to get to the lashes in the inner corner of the eyes
- Messy for the lower lashes

APPLICATION: Curl lashes well. Start by a slightly closed eye and apply with a twisting motion, gradually open your eye so the wand can go from the roots to the ends of the lashes. If you want to apply a second or third coat, don't wait in between, go right in so that the mascara won't dry & get clumpy.

I know many people don't like this mascara bc it does nothing for them, but for my Asian lashes this works wonder (mascara wands that are fat and chunky like Better than sex surely is a no go!). It's also the technique of applying mascara that makes this work for me, I find the twisting motion really helps adding volume to the entire length of my lashes while de-clumping them at the same time. A repurchase for sure!

on 1/1/2017 10:07:00 PM

I am really surprised at a couple of the low-score reviews on this one. Especially since this is a fairly basic product that makes no outrageous claims to give you superlashes. It's basic claim is it's waterproof. That's what it does.

No, it won't make your lashes look super-curly, or longer, or thicker than any other standard mascara (of course it will make them darker and a little thicker - that's what mascara is for). But it's your basic OLDEN-DAY mascara (before we got into all the dramatic effects with fibres etc). It does a beautiful BASIC mascara job of darkening your lashes, with WATERPROOFING.

I know some people said it wasn't waterproof for them, but I have to wonder whether they were also wearing other products (eyeliner, or eyeshadow) which were the true culprits that let them down (I have made that mistake myself in the past, thinking a product wasn't waterproof, only to find out it was a different product that was running.) Or maybe they'd rubbed their eyes a lot without realising, who knows. It could even be what moisturisers or primers they used underneath or having a different skin-type.

But I worse this (as mentioned in a few of my reviews) through extensive swimming on a very hot Queensland day at a party, with an extreme waterproof eyeliner (MAC Liquidlast) and Mac Nourishing Waterproof Foundation, and because none of the accompanying products let me down, I was able to ascertain without a doubt, that none of these products run (for me anyway) while swimming. They're all waterproof. Not just wimpy colourstay pretend-waterproof-claimers, but really waterproof. My make-up was perfectly in place after swimming for hours.

What I especially like about the Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof for swimming is the LACK OF FIBRES. The total NON-FANCINESS. Because even if your mascara is waterproof, that doesn't mean fibres can't dislodge and fall into your eyes if you're active and swimming, or dancing all night sweating. I was willing to forgo having dramatic big beautiful long fat curly lashes, to have something that would stay on in the pool. For anyone who thinks it isn't waterproof, while I'm not disagreeing with your experience, I recommend checking that it isn't your eyeliner or eyeshadow or primer/eyeshadow letting you down. Perhaps even an allergy or reaction to an ingredient.

I'd never wear a waterproof fibre volume-building mascara in the pool. I've had the fibres fall into my eyes before after a big night out (mind you, it was 3 in the morning by that time, but my eyes became red, inflamed and painful - I ended the night looking horrible - who wants to leave that as their final impression?)

So I save this cheap Maybelline one for heavy-duty activity, like swimming, and use a more voluminous fibre super-lashing "waterproof" mascara for everyday and going out places where I'm not being blasted with moisture. I always use "waterproof" even if not swimming, because in the climate I live, with my skin-type, and eyes that tend to water, everything else runs on me. So waterproof products are my saviour and I'm always on the lookout for them - as you will see in my other reviews.

on 8/13/2016 6:29:00 PM

Nice packaging, very affordable, applies nicely, but it is very runny, and smears very quickly. It is definitely not waterproof. After about one hour after wearing this product, it smears all over my eyeshadow, and under my eyes. I end up looking like a raccoon. It would have been a good mascara if it didn't smudge so quickly. It is almost unwearable!

on 3/18/2016 3:39:00 PM

This is a pretty good mascara. It looks pretty natural which I look for in a mascara. It doesn't really do much anything than coloring and a little bit of lengthening to my lashes but that's ok for a natural mascara. It doesn't clump with one coat but with two it looks bad but I always wear just one coat.
When wearing this, my lashes are not so curly when I come back from school though but they still have a little curl. It does come out on the shower, so it's not so waterproof. It doesn't smudge like regular mascara in the shower though.
I would repurchase because its like the only mascara that looks natural for me.

on 4/2/2016 9:29:00 PM

Personally, I love it. I have used it for awhile now and it has a very good natural look and it doesn't clump together. It's waterproof quality was good; especially when my boyfriend broke up with me and I cried for about 3 hours, it didn't make me look like a dying racoon. So, that was good.