Maybelline New York Great Lash Mascara Waterproof

Maybelline New York Great Lash Mascara Waterproof

2.9

Price: $

Price: $

PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, PENTAERYTHRITYL HYDROGENATED ROSINATE, CARNAUBA WAX, POLYETHYLENE, SYNTHETIC BEESWAX, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, CERESIN, BEESWAX, KAOLIN, MAGNESIUM CARBONATE, ALUMINUM STEARATE, SILICA, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, CETYLDIMETHICONE, METHYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, WHEAT GERM OIL. ( / MAY CONTAIN: CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491/IRON OXIDES, CI 77007/ULTRAMARINES, CI 77891/TITANIUM DIOXIDE.)

Save your money on a better drugstore mascara. I'm not even picky about mascara - just want anything to slightly coat my lashes throughout the day. I opened this for the 1st time today and the brush barely had any product - the same way when you use up the formula there's nothing in the tube except this one is BRAND NEW??? The worst part? TRANSFERS down to my undereyes regardless of how sparingly I use it. Waste of my money. I only bought this because it was discounted on Amazon and it's not even worth the discount.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I only wear waterproof mascara when I know I will be caught in rainy or humid weather. Therefore, I don't want to spend too much on that product. This was a good budget buy, costing me only $4 and change. I purchased the color, Very Black. Since Great Lash is a classic by Maybelline, a reputable brand, I trusted it would do the job. Well, I was quickly disappointed the first time I tried it.

It was a hot day and, though I planned to be mostly indoors in AC, I was concerned about perspiration messing up my make-up. So, I opted for waterproof mascara. It looked ok when I first applied it, though it did nothing in the way of lengthening my lashes. After 2-3 coats, it gave me a bit of thickness but mostly just added some black definition. This is definitely not designed to give a dramatic appearance. I applied it on both my top and bottom lashes. I was going for a bare look, so I wore no additional eye-makeup products. I thought this prestigious name-brand classic could stand alone.

To my dismay, two hours later, I looked in the mirror and I was shocked to see that it was badly smeared under my eyes. Naturally I don't have dark circles, and this product made me look like I hadn't slept in weeks. This was very embarrassing as I was at a party, and did not bring any eye make-up remover! And of course since it is waterproof, washing it with water only made the situation worse.

Despite the initial bad experience, I decided to give it another try. It was another hot day and I planned to spend 50% of the day outside running errands. This time, I only used it on my top lashes. Out of fear of another raccoon-eye experience, there was no chance I was going to risk the bottom lashes again! Again I was fairly pleased with the definition it gave me. After about 8 hours, I was just happy to see that it did not not smear. However after 10 hours, it seemed to irritate my contact lenses a bit, and felt very dry.

Overall, in my opinion this is an unremarkable mascara that does not live up to its name. If you want a captivating look, this does Not do the trick. It is just a practical make-up accessory. To me it just serves the purpose of being waterproof; I definitely won't wear it under normal weather conditions. When I run out, I plan to try a different brand.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

I love this mascara! It's seriously so good. It lengthens with NO CLUMPS. I can layer this multiple times and it still looks natural. Whenever I use this, people would ask me if those are my real lashes or not (a friend of mine even touched them in the middle of our conversation!) I love the wand too, it's very small and simple, so getting to the lower lashes is a no problem! However, it flakes a little bit after a couple of hours, which i don't mind since I usually opt for dark eyeshadow on the lower lashline instead of mascara, plus it's really easy to just swipe the flakes off! It also reapplies beautifully. A holy grail for me!

on 5/2/2018 2:55:00 AM

This is my HG mascara because it’s actually pretty natural looking and long wearing enough for me, it doesn’t gives me anything too special and the overall look it’s your lashes but better. I have to agree (And warn you) that it is not the most extreme waterproof mascara in the market but it holds a curl, it lengthens my lashes doesn’t clumps them all together in the first coat, and the smudginess is minimal for me as a very watery eyes person. Would I recommend it for you if you want extreme super long lasting nearly false lashes? No not at all. Would I recommend it if you want a natural understated look that lasts doesn’t flakes, holds a curl, lengthens and it’s affordable? Yes yes yes and yes!

on 11/19/2017 12:59:00 PM

This was not waterproof for me. It didn't survive a hot tub, it didn't survive swimming.
Neither did it add much volume or length to my lashes, which is fine since I like a natural look, but I was disappointed that after being in various types of water over different days, that it didn't even stay on in the water for me :(

This is one of those classic products that really has nothing wrong going on. The formula is good, not clumpy or dry, and makes your lashes look nice. It's been on the market so long and I feel like there are better products but this one isn't bad...I especially like it for the lower lashes. No smudges or flaking.

on 7/16/2017 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

For many years I used Lancome's Definicils Mascara. I was quite happy with it. But one day I wanted to get a waterproof mascara for a special event. The assistant at the drug store recommended Maybelline's Great Lash Waterprrof Mascara. I was skeptical because of the low price, but thought I had nothing to lose really. I have been using that brand now for 10 years. Then, recently, after watching a makeup tutorial, I learned about L'Oreal's Lash Paradise Waterproof. (apparently it is L'Oreal's answer to Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara). So I thought I would try it. I was disappointed. I did not care for all the product on the much larger want. My lashes ended up gummy and not natural looking. I am keeping Maybelline's Waterproof Great Lash as my go-to mascara. I really like it and it is so economical as well. Just a tip..... if you want 2 or 3 layers to build up the volume, don't wait more than a few seconds between applications.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Pretty much not waterproof. I bought this because my eyes have been watering lately and wanted something that wouldn't budge or run into my eyes and sting ... causing further watering. This didn't make them sting, but my word, I have never had such bad raccoon eyes. It smudged into my under eye area within 2 hours and I pretty much had to wipe it all off and do the whole concealer mascara thing again. Don't get this if you are looking for a waterproof product.

In terms of application, it's just a nice light finish. Looks pretty natural.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A waterproof mascara that smudges??? WTF Maybelline? Growing up Great Lash was the mascara of choice by everyone I knew. I favoured the blue one, regular (not waterproof) formula back then but recently started looking around for an inexpensive waterproof mascara. Feeling nostalgic and having fond memories of this swayed me into picking up the waterproof version. It applies nice, no clumping at all, but not a lot of coverage. This gives a very natural look and doesn't feel like there is anything on your lashes which I like. But, I have allergies and my eyes frequently water so I was hoping this waterproof mascara would stay put. Nope, not this one. Not worth the couple bucks at all. Back to the drawing board...

on 5/2/2017 2:31:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

PROS:
- Spiral wand is great for adding volume to sparse lashes like mine
- Holds curl well (since it's waterpoof)

CONS:
- Hard to get to the lashes in the inner corner of the eyes
- Messy for the lower lashes

APPLICATION: Curl lashes well. Start by a slightly closed eye and apply with a twisting motion, gradually open your eye so the wand can go from the roots to the ends of the lashes. If you want to apply a second or third coat, don't wait in between, go right in so that the mascara won't dry & get clumpy.

I know many people don't like this mascara bc it does nothing for them, but for my Asian lashes this works wonder (mascara wands that are fat and chunky like Better than sex surely is a no go!). It's also the technique of applying mascara that makes this work for me, I find the twisting motion really helps adding volume to the entire length of my lashes while de-clumping them at the same time. A repurchase for sure!