Trader Joe's Spearmint Lip Balm

No Image

3.5

Price: $

Price: $

Active: Avobenzone (2.0%), Octinoxate (6.5%), Octisalate (5.0%), Octocrylene (1.5%) Inactive: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Beeswax, Organic Jojoba Seed Oil, Spearmint Oil, Vitamin E, Shea Butter, Rosemary Extract, Herbal Extract Blend

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I feel bad giving TJ's such a bad review, but this gave me a horrible allergic reaction. I didn't want to believe it was this product, so after putting the product to the side for a while I tried it again, and again I had a horrible allergic reaction. My lips were uncomfortable and swollen for two days, looking like I had bad plastic surgery. It must be the mint in this, because everything else seems really mild. If you are sensitive at all, avoid it.

on 12/18/2016 4:05:00 PM

I saw the mediocre reviews on this, reconsidered the product, searched for fault in it and I just couldn't find anything but love. I have to rate this a 5. It is one of my favorite of all time (if not my absolute favorite) lip balm. I am nuts over spearmint. If you are not a spearmint lover, you might not be as excited about this. One day my husband walked by as I was applying this and asked if I just took a swig of listerine. I wasn't sure how I would feel about mint being actually in my lips, as I always thought its properties leaned more toward astringent/antiseptic than emollient. It feels velvety soft and buttery while at the same time feeling incredibly fresh and clean. The consistency is great, the moisture lasts, the ingredients are of quality, and it is super cheap. This is the second product from Trader Joe's that I have fallen in love with. It makes me want to try more of their stuff.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Mediocre lip balm and great price. I actually prefer it to the standard chapstick or Burts bees. Smells like Doublemint gym. It glides on and takes care of my chapped lips just fine

on 1/31/2016 11:36:00 PM

This lip balm is better in theory than in reality. I like the sanitary twist up tube with well made advancing mechanism, I like the SPF, I like the idea of no petroleum balm/balm made with natural and organic ingredients, I like the idea of mint flavor/scent, and I even like the idea of waxy balms for certain reasons. And of course, I like the price.

But when it comes to the actual product, I'm not too thrilled. The spearmint oil is so aggressive in this that if you have chapped, cracked lips, prepare to have your lips irritated for hours on end. I'm not sure why companies use mint, or at least this much mint, in their lip balms, because it only makes your lips even drier. The balm isn't healing or moisturizing at all. I'll use this up, but I won't make another purchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I needed a lip balm with SPF to protect my lips. I generally prefer lip balms made from "natural" ingredients so I was happy to see this. It is spearmint scented so it may remind you of toothpaste or gum. Maybe a slight tingle? but not sure. The only downside is a weird taste in my mouth, perhaps from the chemical sunscreen. I feel like this is unavoidable if you want SPF. I will probably only wear this when going outside. It came in a box of 3 for $2.49 near the checkout at Trader Joe's. Great value.

Edit: The chemical taste was unbearable for awhile but then it sort of when away? I'm happier with it now.

on 10/25/2013 8:37:00 AM

TJ's changed its formula for the Lip Balm Virtuouso. It used to be a lip balm I loved, and the only one I ever bought. I've used it for years. But I just confirmed with the company that the formula has changed - they messed around with the SPF, and now it smells soapy. Instead of a light, almost creamy feel, it's now waxy and not moisturizing at all. It even causes my lips to crack and bleed. Such a disappointment. Trader Joe's: Go back, you had a winner before you changed the formula!

on 2/22/2013 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've gone through a ridiculous amount of these lip balms. Many lip balms with SPF can actually be quite drying, not this one! I usually prefer this to Burt's Bees because it isn't waxy, and leaves your lips with a bit of a shine. I just purchased a Caudalie lip balm for at least 4x the price of these lip balms, and it wasn't nearly as good as TJ brand. Highly recommend it!

I really wanted to like this product because of the good price! It's really a bargain for the low price and also because you get 3 lip balms in the package! I like the spearmint scent but I feel that this lip balm isn't moisturizing enough. Throughout the day, I have to consistently apply it to my lips. The packaging definitely needs improvement because not too long, the printing on the label begins to fade. It doesn't bother me because I usually just peel it off. It's an alright product but I won't be purchasing it again. If you're looking for cheap, natural ingredient lip balm, this might be a good choice.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is my go to lip balm! I love the minty taste, and it provides the most moisture of any lip balm I've tried. It applies thin, which I like, but within minutes my lips feel a lot softer. I always carry one of these around with me. They're cheap, and they contain natural ingredients. I love Trader Joe's!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I gave this product a four but I'd give it a three-and-a-half if I could. It cost $2.70 for a pack of three, so the price is perfect. I prefer peppermint to spearmint, though, and the oxygen zone is a deal breaker. I'll finish my tube and then try another, truly natural lip balm.

Top Rated Lip Treatments