John Frieda Luminous Color Glaze for Chestnut to Espresso Brunettes

No Image

3.3

Water , Propylene Carbonate , Alcohol Denat , Citric Acid , Cyclopentasiloxane , Xanthan Gum , Dimethiconol , Malic Acid , Propylene Glycol , Pearl Powder , Theobroma Cacao ExtractCocoa , Sodium Hydroxide , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Fragrance , Iron Oxides , Mica , Titanium Dioxide , Orange 4 , Yellow 10 , Ext. Violet 2

on 5/12/2011 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I was so excited to try this when I bought the Chestnut to Espresso glaze. However, it did not live up to expectations.

Not sure what specific ingredient is at fault, but my scalp burned like crazy while I had the product on and then continued to itch for days afterwards. After three separate attempts, I took it back for a refund.

As others have noted, it stains both hands and scalp. The hands are easy to clean with soap, but the scalp staining requires a shampoo to be rid of it.

This product does work in staining the hair and can be helpful for camoflauging grays or counteracting hair dye fade. However, I think a non-permanent dye, like Clairol Beautiful, will work just as effectively and provide better coverage and more color options...and at less cost and no scalp irritation.

on 4/30/2011 10:39:00 PM

I was using Brilliant Brunette Chestnut-Espresso Color Glaze and when I was standing in a certain light I noticed that my hair had that fake red tint to it. Is this normal, what the product should look like? Or am I doing something wrong in applying?

on 3/24/2011 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I would give this a "10" if possible, it's that good! First of all, I don't use it as instructed. I use about 1/3 of a cup (my hair is a little longer than chin length) while putting it on with gloves (to prevent staining my hands) and a wide-toothed comb. Then I put on a shower cap and leave it for an hour and a half to two hours. I rinse out then shampoo as usual. This gives my medium brown hair which is starting to get some gray beautiful shine and color. It makes the gray a golden color and I have had wonderful complements on it, including from my hairdresser. Using it that long seems to really get the color on there. If this puts off having to color my hair with something more permanent I'm all for it. It lasts 1-2 months, gradually fading away. I think I will begin to use it occasionally after I shampoo, as directed, to give it a boost between the times I use it "my way." Definitely HG status for me. I get it at Ulta when they have their John Frieda BOGO half off sale (it's going on now through 4/2/11), using their $3.50 coupon which makes it quite inexpensive.

on 12/9/2010 12:26:00 PM

I've been using this product since it first came out, and I love it. I'm 42 with a little graying mostly in my bangs. I actually use this as highlights for my gray hair. I shampoo every other day, so I only use it once or twice a week. It turns my gray hair a golden color, and blends in nicely. It leaves my hair silky, shiny and less frizzy. The best part is I don't have any roots showing. Even my hair stylist says it looks like I have highlights. I get lots of compliments about the color of my hair. I'll use this until I have too much graying to do so. The packaging isn't the best, but I just squeeze near the top, and the lid pops right off! It does stain my hands, and sometimes my forehead, but I just use bar soap, and it comes right off without any effort, I don't know why bar soap takes it off easier than liquid soap, but it does.

on 2/25/2010 7:15:00 PM

I've used this product twice and I don't like it but I don't hate it. I don't like it because first of all its really messy, I got my hairs stained and it took me over 30 minutes to get the stain out so make sure you wear gloves when you put it in your hair. I left it in my hair for about 45 minutes before rinsing it out, it did give my hair the shiny look and my hair was really soft but on the other hand I didnt see a difference in color in my hair. It definitely did not bring out the color as it claimed.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I love this stuff! It made my hair shiny,frizz-free,and softer.I dont really notice much of a color difference,but my mom said that it looks a bit darker.I'll definetly buy this again!

on 5/13/2009 3:18:00 PM

Hmmm now that I'm reading other reviews I may give this another try, using what others suggested of washing it out.
I used it several times once a week and it made my hair limp and greasy! I think it may be due to the fact that my hair is very fine. So I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it? But I was always had to be careful not to use it on days when I had an important event otherwise my hair would be droopy all night :(
I still have half a bottle so I'm going to use it tomorrow and rinse it out with shampoo to see what happens. For now I wouldnt recommend to anyone with fine hair like me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This has a wierd texture like a runny gel, I found it difficult to use. I tried it twice. It made my hair feel like there was something left in it after I rinsed, not clean and soft.

on 4/29/2009 10:14:00 PM

Love, Love, Love it! Not only helps between coloring, it really makes my hair shine and helps frizzys.

on 3/29/2009 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this product because I am starting to get grey hair on top and can't stand hair dye - seems to ruin hair texture, takes too long, too much effort, etc. etc. But until I get MORE grey, I want to stay dark brown. So I was looking for a product that would sort of stain my hair with minimal effort on my part. This is GREAT for that. My grey hair has turned a nice light brown that blends in much better with my natural dark brown than grey does. I don't find that it improves my hair texture at all; in fact when I straighten my somewhat wavy hair, it makes the hair sort of bendy in a weird way. But when I left my hair go wavy, it works quite well for what I wanted - the staining. The packaging is stupid - lots of unnecessary plastic, and the bottle would be easier with a squirt-type top rather than a screw off. P.S. I'm not surprised this didn't work on the Asian reviewer below - apparently Asians have much smoother cuticle on their hair, which accounts for the beautiful shine and straightness, but probably makes it harder to dye the color. Probably the staining/dyeing effect works better on non-Asian hair.

Popular Hair Products