Bonne Bell Skin Musk Cologne Spray

Bonne Bell Skin Musk Cologne Spray

3.0

on 11/14/2013 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My first whiff of Bonne Bell Skin Musk in the 70's was mind-blowingly good to me -- whoa!!! -- and I circled back immediately in that ladies' dressing room (in college) to find which girl was wearing that awesome scent -- and to ask her what it was. I *had* to know, so I sniffed her down like a bloodhound. Thankfully, she was very forthcoming with the name. Of course, I immediately went out and bought myself some and wore it happily. It was fabulously musky and sensuous then.

But wahhhhhh, like all the 70's musks, this has changed so drastically that it's nothing like it was then. The company was bought out, apparently, and the formulation was changed. I currently have Bonne Bell Skin Musk in both spray and perfume oil -- in the new formulation -- and I've had them for maybe 10 years -- but their scent is just "baby lotion" to me now -- or "baby powder", or "baby oil". Dare I say it? OK, I'll say it. It smells like "baby wipes"!

It's okay, for a nonoffensive scent. It has its place, and it's worth a repurchase (in either formulation, but I prefer perfume oil); however, to me it's basically just a sweet powdery smell now -- and quite far removed from the sensuous musk it used to be. Such a shame. I still remember that first whiff in 1973 or 1974 like it was frozen in time -- it was an arrestingly beautiful sensuous musk then, but it's just an okay safe and inoffensive powdery scent for me now.

The original extinct outstanding version I give 5 lippies to -- today's disappointing "baby wipes" version, 3 lippies.

on 11/15/2006 9:34:00 AM

Updated review: This is for the perfume oil. I have kept the same little bottle for ages now. I enjoy this simple, clean-smelling musk oil, though I don't wear it often. It smells delicious layered with this vanilla/cocoa scented lotion I have (Suave cocoa butter & shea, actually), an accidental disovery. I'll definitely wear this combination more often now.

Popular Fragrances