Bonne Bell Skin Musk Cologne Spray

Bonne Bell Skin Musk Cologne Spray

4.4

on 11/14/2013 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My first whiff of Bonne Bell Skin Musk in the 70's was mind-blowingly good to me -- whoa!!! -- and I circled back immediately in that ladies' dressing room (in college) to find which girl was wearing that awesome scent -- and to ask her what it was. I *had* to know, so I sniffed her down like a bloodhound. Thankfully, she was very forthcoming with the name. Of course, I immediately went out and bought myself some and wore it happily. It was fabulously musky and sensuous then.

But wahhhhhh, like all the 70's musks, this has changed so drastically that it's nothing like it was then. The company was bought out, apparently, and the formulation was changed. I currently have Bonne Bell Skin Musk in both spray and perfume oil -- in the new formulation -- and I've had them for maybe 10 years -- but their scent is just "baby lotion" to me now -- or "baby powder", or "baby oil". Dare I say it? OK, I'll say it. It smells like "baby wipes"!

It's okay, for a nonoffensive scent. It has its place, and it's worth a repurchase (in either formulation, but I prefer perfume oil); however, to me it's basically just a sweet powdery smell now -- and quite far removed from the sensuous musk it used to be. Such a shame. I still remember that first whiff in 1973 or 1974 like it was frozen in time -- it was an arrestingly beautiful sensuous musk then, but it's just an okay safe and inoffensive powdery scent for me now.

The original extinct outstanding version I give 5 lippies to -- today's disappointing "baby wipes" version, 3 lippies.

Used to be much better. Along the same lines of Coty Wild Musk. If you like old school sandalwood-jasmine- slightly powdery type warm musks like Coty Wild Musk or Bonne Bell Skin Musk- you have to try this oil called Civet Musk by Body Time! It's so much closer to how those oils to use to be! Wear this a lot to work and for a daytime scent!

on 3/17/2007 11:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Warm and sweet without being foody, this is the biggest deal on the planet if you're a musk lover. Not an animalic musk by any means ,more of a soft and powdery one. THe cologne spray has zero lasting power which is to be expected...the oil however has a bit better sticktoitness but still never lasted that long to me. I got the spray for 1.00 on sale at Walgreens so what the heck! It's a nice scent to spray with abandon when you are just out of the shower and relaxing at home, or have just moved to a new place for a job and are living out of a hotel with no one there to comment on how much I've used. ; )

on 11/15/2006 9:34:00 AM

Updated review: This is for the perfume oil. I have kept the same little bottle for ages now. I enjoy this simple, clean-smelling musk oil, though I don't wear it often. It smells delicious layered with this vanilla/cocoa scented lotion I have (Suave cocoa butter & shea, actually), an accidental disovery. I'll definitely wear this combination more often now.

on 6/4/2011 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Okay, because others have said it better than I ever could, I'll keep it short - it's a lovely scent: sweet but not overly so, musky but not "hippy", powdery but not "old" lady- like. It's warm and very "cuddle" worthy i.e. subtle, my only grip is that it doesn't last a long time even when I layer the spray and the oil. Would I repurchase? Probably not, only because I want something a little warmer and longer lasting (on me). But in general it is definitely a scent to experience.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

The best smell ever is the Skin Musk Oil by Bonne Bell, the new stuff by the company who bought the fragrance from Bonne Bell is not the same. I wore the Musk Oil by Bonne Bell for over 15 years and ALWAYS had men and women telling me "wow, what is that?, you smell sooo good".

on 4/1/2007 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is a nice,clean,young scent. My 65 year old mom loves to wear this too. Its subtle. I do not think it smells like skin so soft,though.Its not as sexy as the Jovan or Alyssia Ashley brands,its very innocent andnot at all offensive. It won't smell like sweat after a few hour,it just fades away. Its the perfect base to layer another fragrance on top of....

on 3/27/2006 1:16:00 PM

I bought this years ago after reading an article about Sarah Jessica Parker in which she said that she loved it because it smelled young and fresh. I think she said that the smell reminded her of a fresh, just-out-of-the-shower teenager. It does have a nice fresh quality and unbelievable staying power. I get asked about it a lot when I wear it (perhaps because it's so strong, although people do say they like it). Available at Target, worth a try because it's so cheap.

This scent is still really good to me. I layer it with Jovan Musk as that is my favorite but this just makes my skin smell so good! Like my skin but better. It's what good clean skin smells like in my mind or what I'd like to smell. It's clean, fresh, but still musky. Really good scent and am glad I can still get it. I was wearing florals and citrus then one day I just missed my musks and had to go back to them. Skin musk is a great scent for those who want something more close to the skin. Jovan musk is more powdery and stronger to my nose. Skin musk is more understated but still so good. Definitely one to try if you like musks it's an oldie but goodie. Recommended.:)

Edit 2/9/17: still using this! It smells like clean skin. I love jovan too. When my bottle is gone I'll scour eBay & amazon looking for another bottle. Soft powdery scent. Perf right after a shower. I dread the day they D.C. this. It's one of my fave scents. It's unlike anything else out there except jovan. Love!! #winning
---
Original review: Clean, innocent, FUN scent!! I buy it at kmart in the oil, EDT, & aerosol can, but can also be found at times at walgreens; they keep the oil behind the counter w all the other "more expensive" perfumes. I love this & Loves' perfumes (ie Baby Soft, Jasmine, & Lemon). I just adore Skin Musk!! Bonne Bell rarely misses the mark in their products, yet another DS gem!!

Popular Fragrances