3.5

package quality

price range

Reviews

7 years ago

There are two versions of Root Pump: Regular, and Plus. Regular is best for fine-to-medium hair, and Plus is for thick or coarse hair. I didn't realize this when I bought Plus (ages ago), and I have thin, fine hair, so I wish I had bought the regular one instead. But I didn't, so this review is for Plus, but keep in mind I'm not its ideal user. All that being said, this stuff is SERIOUS! Serious hold, serious oomph. This, sprayed into my roots and rubbed in, coupled with an upside down blowdry=WHOA! Big a** hair! If it droops during the day, you can just refluff with your fingers and be back in business. If you absolutely cannot abide the feeling of product in your hair, do not get this. It doesn't LOOK stiff and product-y, but you can feel it for sure. I love the results, but it feels a little too stiff and grungy for my taste. I assume the non-Plus might feel lighter. The can is huge and if you only use it on your roots, it should last a good long while. If I ever run out of this, I'll try the regular and give that one a whirl. If you want serious body and lift, give one of the Root Pumps a try for sure.

About reviewer (27 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

EyesGreen

8 years ago

Absolutely cannot live without this! I don't have the thickest hair but Root Pump Plus makes it impossible to tell. After I get out of the shower, I spray Paul Mitchell root lifter then apply Root Pump Plus all over my hair, not just on the roots, then blowdry and brush it out. Makes my hair have amazing body and volume. It's about $21.00 at CVS, but I will never use anything else. amazing amazing amazing

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

HairBlond

8 years ago

I have very fine, thin hair and this volumizes without weighing down. You only need to use a small amout. The diffuser applicator is kind of worthless, it's easier to just spray into your hands and work in. Need to use at the roots and the mid hair shaft for volume before blowdrying. Results don't last long, looked great after blow drying but was flat again the next morning. For the price, I probably won't repurchase because I like Giovanni's root 66 root lifting spray just as well at a much lower price.

About reviewer (195 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

EyesBlue

1.0

9 years ago

The positive reviews on here really convinced me to buy this spray mousse but I wasn't impressed. It was pretty pricey at $18/19 and it didn't deliver on its promise. I used only 3 light sprays and then I would massage it throughout my crown area. After I used this my hair was slightly volumized but not much better than the usual volume of my hair. Plus, this product felt like it weighed down my hair and it broke me out! I noticed that after a couple uses, my back and chest (cleavage area) started developing acne. At first I didn't know what was causing it. Once I stopped using this, because I was unhappy with the results it gave me, I realized that this was causing my break outs. I definitely don't recommend this to those who are break out prone or those who have sensitive skin. For the price and disappointing results, I say save your money and look for something else.

About reviewer (31 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinCombination, Medium, Not Sure

HairBlack, Straight, Fine

9 years ago

This product is amazing for people with baby fine hair! I section off my hair and spray Big Sexy Hair Root Pump Plus onto my scalp and rub around with my finger tips, finally combing through the ends with a wide tooth comb. I blow dry my hair upside down holding the roots out and tousling the ends. When I flip my hair up I am left with tons of volume, body and thickness, with tousled looking ends. This mousse holds the style perfect all day! Honestly, at first I hated this product but I found that less is more; I was using way too much product. I have already re-purchased and would recommend to anyone with fine hair. Pros: Price is reasonable Easy to find Works well Cons: Too much product will leave hair greasy

About reviewer (61 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

EyesGray

9 years ago

Trying out a few Sexy Hair products. My thick shoulder length hair is fairly manageable although not good about holding volume. This stuff works great as one of my final products. Applied it to 90% dry hair so it doesn't water down with too much moisture in my hairs. A round brush is all I needed. Followed up with "What A Tease" for extra oomph. Great purchase for under $10. Warning: Buying professional products outside a salon (Target, Wal-Mart, Marshalls) run the risk of getting watered down diverted/stollen products.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

9 years ago

i bought this on a whim at Nordstrom Rack, of all places. I didn't have any expectations since I didn't read reviews on it before using. I have fine, layered (Asian) hair and it worked really well on me! I think the key is to make sure you don't use TOO much of it. I sprayed it only in the roots when my hair was still a little damp (but not straight out of the shower). Then I put my head upside-down and used my blow-dryer and used my fingers, not a brush, to tug my hair away from the scalp. And voila...voluminous hair!

About reviewer (57 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinNormal, Medium

HairBlack

10 years ago

I've bought many mousses, and this is the only one that seems to do anything for me. I spray a little bit at the roots of my bangs and at the top rear of my head. My hairdresser rubs it in when she uses it, but I just spray. You spray it directly into your hair, which takes a little practice and can be messy if you miss. Then, you need to blow dry, using a brush to hold your hair up at the roots. You get the volume from the blow-dry, but the mousse makes it possible.

About reviewer (10 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

HairBrunette

10 years ago

So people using this and saying it doesn't work probably arent using it properly. I dont put it right in my roots where I keep my part, I lift hair on both sides of my part and spray it in there, then rub it in with my hands, and blowdry with a round brush and I'm left with great volume! You can also rub your hands under the hair where you applied the root pump and it re-plumps your hair. I have fine fine hair btw and I know this one is meant for thicker hair, but I like how this one works stronger and better!

About reviewer (59 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesGreen

10 years ago

This is a great product! By far the best root booster I've EVER used. I (like the reviewer below) have thick hair with lots of body and this product worked amazing for me! I sprayed the roots near the crown of my head onto damp hair, blow dried upside down with a round brush and when I was done and flipped my head back it looked like I'd already backcombed. WORTH EVERY PENNY. Will buy again and again. I think those who had trouble with the sprayer and nozzle probably bought it from a TJ Maxx or other discount store. I've seen this product there and they're usually damaged to begin with. I suggest buying it elsewhere.

About reviewer (18 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure