Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

on 9/3/2016 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

THIS is my Mothers Holy Grail and she has the most AMAZING skin I have seen on any human. I am absolutely IN LOVE with this product. It provides protection, is lightweight and an excellent amount of light coverage. For those who have Acne prone skin and cannot find a suitable sunblock that will not cause you to break out -THIS is what you need. I would repurchase this over and over again, because it is SO worth it. I like to use this either bare on my skin or after I apply some primer.

The reason I would not rebuy this product is because it makes my skin look DULL. It is pigmented and it is too light a colour for me.

I disagree with the user instructions.
    1) I believe my skin felt tight if I used this alone on bare skin- it is mattifying and drying so moisturiser should be put on first.
    2) I would use this over my makeup NOT under to get the maximum SPF benefit from it.
    3) I would not use this as a makeup primer- there are many better primers than this

I would use this as a top layer for SPF protection and SPF 40 is good.
    I like the compact tube with small hole so sensible amounts can be dispensed.
    The silver on the packaging and lid provides a badly needed style update to the ugly retro 70s packaging.

To Read all 315 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My skin type: very pale, very oily, very sensitive, and rosacea'd all over.

I love this product. That said, the person just below me (via dates posted) made a very good point. This product is much, much too orange for even vaguely pale people. If you are a tanned person then this may be your favorite tinted sunscreen/moisturizer.

However, this product is also perfect for very pale people with rosacea. The yellow tones perfectly counteract the redness, and the red-all-over look I hate is replaced with a yellow-all-over which is much better. Sure, neither match your pale body but the latter is ironically much more natural looking.

I only have a foundation of similar not-pale-enough color but I'll update this review when I find one close to my natural skin tone. I'm hoping the extremely pale will counteract the layer of tan I have laid down. However, if it doesn't I'm going to settle as using this product as a pure redness-counteractor instead of an all-over primer.

It isn't heavy, it doesn't break me out, the SPF is sufficient, it's not overly shiny, it could be used as a foundation if you are tan...I would buy this again

on 7/6/2016 11:35:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

First of all, for any pale people who might be reading, this product is not suitable for very pale-skinned individuals who have cool/pinkish undertones. I’m a bit pale even for a redhead, and very cool. Even with a lot of blending and light application, this product looked orange on my skin. I returned it after trying it a couple of times.

There are a lot of good points about it, however. It feels nice and light. It has SPF 40 and very light coverage—sheer, really—which is why I bought it. It resembles a tinted moisturizer, although I’m not sure if it actually claims to be a moisturizer. I didn’t find it terribly moisturizing, but I have some dryness on my face. It can even out colouring somewhat, but I wouldn’t count on it to cover up any significant issues. I wore it on a very hot day with a small amount of translucent powder dusted on top and it stayed quite nice and fairly matte into the late afternoon.

I really wanted to like this product, but again, it just didn’t work because of the colour mismatch. I’m giving it three lippies because of it’s not a bad product otherwise, but I would expect something with 40 SPF to suit a wider range of very pale people.

on 6/28/2016 1:01:00 AM

Excellent! I break out when I use sunscreen(and I've tried them all) except for this one! This is light and non-drying, yet doesn't feel oily and has a bit of color in it, so your face still gets a tiny bit of coverage. I have acne and contact dermatitis, and was in even better shape after I had been using it for 4 days, so I will keep wearing this, even if I'm not in the sun. No wierd smell either, so that's a plus! Love, love, love it!

on 5/10/2016 10:50:00 PM

I've been using this for years and love it. Every once and a while I try something new but I always come back to this.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I bought this because I wanted a light, reliable sunscreen that works well under makeup and is suitable for oily skin.
    Unfortunately, this didn't fit the bill. It felt wrong the moment I applied it, very sticky and greasy. It completely disintegrated my makeup and left my face very shiny.
    As this seemed to last so poorly on my skin, I also don't think it delivered enough sun protection. I definitely won't buy this again and was quite disappointed as it was fairly expensive. It's frustrating because whenever I search for a sunscreen that's suitable for oily skin, this stuff is sure to turn up.
    Perhaps it works better on other people...

on 4/6/2016 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This product was way too heavy on me. It is also lightly tinted, but I felt like the tint made the cast on my face look much worse since I have much tanner skin than the tint. I know that SPF usually takes a while to set, but with this product the cast never left my face. I even waited for 20 minutes, went out for an hour long bike ride, and by the time I came back my face was still looking super white casted from this product. I had to return it for this reason.
    Some positives are that it didn't have too strong of a scent like their yellow face sunscreen...that one smells awful. Also, it surprisingly didn't break me out despite how greasy this was.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This used to be my very old HG product. However, I started disliking it when somehow its flakes and does not blend well . I'm not sure its it due to my moisturizer therefore I stopped using it. its also quite expensive as well. has 2 types of spf range.

on 9/13/2015 8:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I've used a lot of facial sunscreens and prefer mineral. I settled on Badger tinted Rose SPF 20. Love it. But I've noticed that it tends to sting my Retin-A sensitive skin. I'm assuming it's all of those essential oils. That fact, coupled with me wanting a higher SPF on some days, caused me to search for something new.
    Super City Block uses both physical and chemical. It's pricy for a 1.4 oz tube. Ingredients are good, IMO. Clinique claims, like with most of their products, that it is suitable for sensitive skin so I thought I would try it. The tint is more yellow-toned than pink, FWIW.
    My verdict: Good stuff. Spreads easily. I didn't experience any balling up. No real smell, and the after feel is just slightly dewy but not greasy. If the finish isn't matte enough, dust some translucent powder over it, I use Lancôme Absolue. This combination is perfect for me, skin looks polished and natural, and it's what I wear daily. I don't need much coverage and prefer Supercity over a BB-type cream. When I do want more coverage, I mix it with a liquid foundation and it plays very well. It has a bit of a blurring effect when worn alone, but doesn't offer any real coverage. It did not irritate my skin in any way. Nor does it sting my eyes. Consistency is that of a thin lotion. The tint works well with my skintone, so I don't get any ashy results, although tanned or deeper skin tones might? I also don't use a lot, just about a pea size amount for my face and a bit more for my neck. It can be mixed with foundation to help with color matching, too. I don't find it super moisturizing, but I don't care. It's sunscreen. I use moisturizer underneath as needed.
    They offer a non tinted version, but I actually prefer the tinted, as it functions as my daily 'foundation'. The tube is small and fits in my purse, I reapply a few times if I'm going to be out all day.

Will/have repurchase(d). Add: on my 3rd tube, still love it.