Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

on 11/10/2017 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

One of the sunscreens that i've used and am satisfied with. It's non sticky, absorbs rly fast. And the tint is very subtle. Does not have a strong scent like most sunscreens. great formula that sits on top of moisturizers and beneath makeup rly well. One thing is i find that when i apply makeup straightaway after super city block, the makeup goes on nicely. But if i wait for half an hour before putting on makeup, when i put makeup on it will start to flake.

on 9/12/2017 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I like but don't love this. This is a sunscreen with both physical and chemical blockers (Zinc 9.6%, Titanium dioxide, Octinoxate, Octisalate) that also has antioxidants. It feels a bit heavy on at the get-go, but the feeling does go away. It's also quite soothing because of the zinc and anti-inflamatory ingredients it has, like Licorice Root. It has a nice faint, but sweet smell.

It has to be applied twice a day at least because it breaks down somewhat. You are supposed to do that anyway with sunscreen, but with this one you HAVE to or risk looking caky/dried out at the end of the day.

This goes on better on top of moisturized or slightly damp skin (more slip). It leaves a noticeable but not horrible glowy beige cast on my NC 42 Skintone that I easily remedy by dusting some powder over top. Lighter skintones will find this can pass as a light coverage bb cream. If you are acne-prone and on a budget, id suggest the Maybelline Super Stay Better Skin Powder. It's smoothing and has a nice light coverage; it doesn't break me out either.

As I said, it has a sheen but it's not unworkable and I say that having oily skin. It's not a greasy sunblock. On days where my skin is more normal it feels very mattifying and I HAVE to prep with moisturizer (Clinique Moisture Surge).

Its a sunblock so I have to apply makeup on top with a sponge. Id avoid very matte foundations with it because it can make them look extra dry and crack/gather weird.

I would repurchase but its not HG.

Pro's:
+Affordable and accessible
+ Soothing (doesn't sting/anti-inflammatory)
+Safe to use around eye area
+Mix of physical and chemical blockers
+Tinted
+Doesn't feel too heavy or greasy
+Has antioxidants
+Sanitary packaging

Cons
- Clogs my pores a little (not a lot, mainly around my nose. Happens to me with all Mineral spf)
- Only comes in a golden beige tint (My skintone is NC42), so It makes me look a bit pale.
-Doesnt play well with my velvet matt finish liquid makeups
-Its slightly tacky at first, though it ends up setting and feels soft.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i love love this..ive been using this for the past 3yrs and i regret not doing it earlier. i hv sensitive oily combo skin prone to break out and this doesnt hv any negative effect at all no stinging no buring no itching no breaking out spread nicely and absorbed quickly. i used it alone in the morning when driving kid to school then later under my makeup. its oil free can be a bit drying i need moisturizer under it

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

A real game changer in my skincare routines. No matter what you put on your face at night to treat/heal your skin with all your powerful treatment serums or night creams, it's all useless until you protect your face during the day. Formulated with variety of antioxidants that treats your skin while protecting it. I also learned that it has the best ingredients - Vitamin C and E, which helps to heal and lighten scar from the previous breakout, and gradually even out my skin tone. Been using it for 2 years now, and very happy with the result.

on 1/25/2017 10:47:00 PM

Lovely texture. Nice dewy healthy look on the face. Packed full of good ingredients. SPF40 is nice.
Unfortunaly it's WAY too dark for me. It says it fits all skin tones - of course that's not true. It looks ridiculous when I put it on, since it's so much darker than my skin tone.
Price is resonable for a cream of this quality imo. I wish this could be my everyday go-to cream.

Clinique: please make an untinted version! You'd have many more loyal customers.

on 9/3/2016 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

THIS is my Mothers Holy Grail and she has the most AMAZING skin I have seen on any human. I am absolutely IN LOVE with this product. It provides protection, is lightweight and an excellent amount of light coverage. For those who have Acne prone skin and cannot find a suitable sunblock that will not cause you to break out -THIS is what you need. I would repurchase this over and over again, because it is SO worth it. I like to use this either bare on my skin or after I apply some primer.

on 6/28/2016 1:01:00 AM

Excellent! I break out when I use sunscreen(and I've tried them all) except for this one! This is light and non-drying, yet doesn't feel oily and has a bit of color in it, so your face still gets a tiny bit of coverage. I have acne and contact dermatitis, and was in even better shape after I had been using it for 4 days, so I will keep wearing this, even if I'm not in the sun. No wierd smell either, so that's a plus! Love, love, love it!

The reason I would not rebuy this product is because it makes my skin look DULL. It is pigmented and it is too light a colour for me.

I disagree with the user instructions.
1) I believe my skin felt tight if I used this alone on bare skin- it is mattifying and drying so moisturiser should be put on first.
2) I would use this over my makeup NOT under to get the maximum SPF benefit from it.
3) I would not use this as a makeup primer- there are many better primers than this

I would use this as a top layer for SPF protection and SPF 40 is good.
I like the compact tube with small hole so sensible amounts can be dispensed.
The silver on the packaging and lid provides a badly needed style update to the ugly retro 70s packaging.

on 7/6/2016 11:35:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

First of all, for any pale people who might be reading, this product is not suitable for very pale-skinned individuals who have cool/pinkish undertones. I’m a bit pale even for a redhead, and very cool. Even with a lot of blending and light application, this product looked orange on my skin. I returned it after trying it a couple of times.

There are a lot of good points about it, however. It feels nice and light. It has SPF 40 and very light coverage—sheer, really—which is why I bought it. It resembles a tinted moisturizer, although I’m not sure if it actually claims to be a moisturizer. I didn’t find it terribly moisturizing, but I have some dryness on my face. It can even out colouring somewhat, but I wouldn’t count on it to cover up any significant issues. I wore it on a very hot day with a small amount of translucent powder dusted on top and it stayed quite nice and fairly matte into the late afternoon.

I really wanted to like this product, but again, it just didn’t work because of the colour mismatch. I’m giving it three lippies because of it’s not a bad product otherwise, but I would expect something with 40 SPF to suit a wider range of very pale people.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My skin type: very pale, very oily, very sensitive, and rosacea'd all over.

I love this product. That said, the person just below me (via dates posted) made a very good point. This product is much, much too orange for even vaguely pale people. If you are a tanned person then this may be your favorite tinted sunscreen/moisturizer.

However, this product is also perfect for very pale people with rosacea. The yellow tones perfectly counteract the redness, and the red-all-over look I hate is replaced with a yellow-all-over which is much better. Sure, neither match your pale body but the latter is ironically much more natural looking.

I only have a foundation of similar not-pale-enough color but I'll update this review when I find one close to my natural skin tone. I'm hoping the extremely pale will counteract the layer of tan I have laid down. However, if it doesn't I'm going to settle as using this product as a pure redness-counteractor instead of an all-over primer.

It isn't heavy, it doesn't break me out, the SPF is sufficient, it's not overly shiny, it could be used as a foundation if you are tan...I would buy this again