MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by eye Color : Green

3.6

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been using this foundation for a couple years now and it is my go to. I first went to Mac because I have a very fair complexion and at the time their shade range fit me best. I would consider it to be medium coverage but very easy to build onto. When it is set with a powder and spray it lasts all day and continues to cover everything. Only thing i dislike is that it comes with a screw off top and you have to purchase a pump separately from Mac.

I got a tester at the Mac counter and don’t get it why nc20 in this foundation is so orange. NC20 normally suits my fair skin tone perfectly. Also it stinks (and feels) like wall paint. Sorry, no longevity can compensate this smell.

It's hard not to give this 5 stars. I've been looking for a foundation for a while that went well with my skin. I have tried so many different foundations within the last year I have almost given up. I found myself wondering into the MAC store one afternoon and asked one of the artists to help me find a good foundation. I have dry skin but I also tend to get pretty shiny through my T-zone. I have small pores and not too much that needs concealing. I had previously tried the waterweight foundation and it clung to pores and separated on dry spots. She brought this foundation out (along with a ton of other products to moisturize prior to application) and I loved it. At first I wasn't sold but the longer it sat on my face and started to set the more I liked it. The color she put on me seemed slightly too dark. My face neck and chest are quite a bit lighter than the rest of my body so I decided to go with just a shade lighter and WOW. The shade changed dramatically. I really don't know all of the shades offered but the one I have now is very very white. I am pretty pale anyway, I just added a little bronzer and color on the cheeks and it looks fine but I was shocked to see the dramatic difference in the two shades. It is very important to moisturize before using this foundation, it will stick to dry spots. I get dry around my nose and eyebrows so now I just apply face oil in those areas and moisturizer my face with a really good hydrating moisturizer and I’m set. I also use the Mac prep and set hydrating setting spray. Overall I think this is a really good foundation for everyone. It gets a little shiny but not anything uncontrollable, especially if you set it with a powder (if your really oily). The finish is a silky matte and it doesn’t feel heavy on the face. Oh and coverage is more sheer to maaaybe medium if you good at layering properly :)

Okay so honestly... I love this. I realize that MAC was the "It Girl" brand on YouTube back in the 2007-2012 days and a lot of people have moved onto other trendy makeup companies chasing the latest fads. But recently I decided to revisit good 'ol MAC and pick up a few of the cult classics. The artist at the MAC store matched me to the new shade NC10 which blended seamlessly into my porcelain skin. I am so thrilled that MAC created this beautiful pale shade that does not lean pink nor yellowy even though its an NC shade its one of the most neutral PPP shades I've ever come across. Nars Siberia is a little too yellow, KVD #41 is ghostly white with a pinky undertone, ELDW 1N1 Ivory Nude is a hair too dark etc... you get the point. Pale girls know that there is always something a little off about so many ivory shades on the market.

Studio Fix Fluid is a medium to full coverage foundation with a thick liquid consistency and a glamorous matte finish. The bottle doesn't come with a pump which is annoying but what else is new I guess. This foundation has a very skin-perfecting finish it makes you look like an airbrushed doll. I find its one of the few foundations that doesn't require a primer underneath but you do want to make sure you moisturize. The MAC artist explained that this foundation contains powder particles which makes it long lasting and lends to the beautiful finish that looks amazing in photographs. I have a combo/dry skin type and I prefer not to set my entire face with powder during the winter otherwise it looks too matte and chalky especially since I'm so pale.
Studio Fix Fluid lasts beautifully on the skin but I wouldn't say its one of those transfer-resistant, sweat-resistant, hurricane-resistant, tsunami-resistant foundations. There are days in my life where I need 6-8 hours of solid wear but not necessarily ultra concrete type of wear like ELDW. I don't always need my makeup to last 12+ hours on my face. I think this foundation is worth another try for people who want that flawless base and I love the fact its less expensive than other high-end brands.

EDIT: I still like this foundation and continue to use it regularly. However, I have noticed something peculiar. I bought another bottle in NC15 to mix in with the NC10 I already had. After a few weeks of having the bottle of NC15 it seems like the makeup in the bottle has oxidized and gone a little orangey, When I swatched the foundation on my hand it wasn't the fair golden shade I had purchased from the MAC counter. It has now changed color and is unwearable for me even if I mix it with NC10. I remember having the same thing happen to me last summer when I bought it in NC20 to match my fake tan and the shade was perfect --- after a month or so the foundation had gone darker and had an orange tint. What the hell is up with this?

Buildable coverage is a plus. But a verry Confusing shade range and I am Turned off by the smell. I could have liked this founation but I cant give it more than a 3 because of the smell. Its too much.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

One of my holy grail foundations! NC10 is a perfect shade and SFF doesn't oxidize, which is a miracle for my combo/oily and very pale skin. The coverage is a solid medium but can be built up to almost full. I mix this with a BB cream to get a more natural, lighter coverage. I set with a translucent powder and All Nighter Spray, and my makeup lasts a good 10-12 hours. I wish it came with a pump (I mean, really MAC?) but the small, no nonsense packaging is great for a small bathroom.

ETA: Turns out this foundation DOES make me break out. Guess it's no longer my holy grail...

Always lasts the whole day on me whether I wear powder or not, some people hate the smell but weirdly enough I like it. Doesn't break me out, amazing coverage :)

I had high expectations for this foundation and they were definitely not met, but let's start with the positives. The colour is almost perfect which is hard to find when you're quite fair skinned, It has spf 15 which is a bonus and it managed to keep my oily t-zone in check. Now on to the negatives, the packaging is bland and you have to buy a separate pump for it which for the price it should come with a gold one, the product doesn't like to come out easily but maybe that's just my bottle, and the coverage while full it wears off within 6 hours. Overall for the price I would not buy again but it's also not the worst foundation I've used.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I first bought this foundation after talking with a MAC beauty consultant and this is the foundation she recommended for my wants/needs: full coverage, concerns with oily skin. It does give full coverage and it cover imperfections well. It also lasts for me about 4-5 hours before becoming shiny, but it eventually always does and before the end of the day. It does oxidize to a shade darker, and moves and separate on me even with a silicone primer (maybe I'm doing something wrong). It's a good choice for people with imperfections or who need more coverage for other reasons. But, there are so many other choices out that I like better, even DS brands. I did give it 4 lippies because it does what it says, for the most part.

Pros: Color selection, full coverage, has SPF, though only 15, leaves a nice flat, but not dry matte finish

Cons: Scent, doesn't stay matte very long on my oily skin even with a powder setting and primer, doesn't come with a pump - you have to purchase that separately

This foundation is really full coverage and has a range of shades to suit your skin. Keeps my face shine-free all day and doesn't move. It might be a bit drying so I wouldn't recommend it to very dry skin types, unless you intensely moisturise your face before application. Only down side is that it seeps into my smile lines, apart from that coverage, wear and colour is spot on. Love it